PDA

View Full Version : Group Ryding

Schnauzer
09-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Just curious about the rest out there.

When ever your out in a group ryding, and you come to a redlight.
Do You...
"A" line up nose to tail making it nearly impossible for everyone to make the light.:banghead:

"B" move over and allow the Ryder behind to pull up next to you and shorten the distance the last Ryder has to travel to make the light.:yes:

"C" Never really given it much thought since your in it for the ryde.:shocked:

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
We bunch up a bit while stopped, but leave in a staggered fashion.
NO side by side riding... :lecturef_smilie:

Schnauzer
09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
NO side by side riding... :lecturef_smilie::agree:, that takes practice:pray:, but you can roll out at the same time just keeping in mind who's on 1st.

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
:agree: :thumbup: And your are right; the potential for foolishness abounds! :shocked:

lyonsden
09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
B. We usually have a person in the lead and they always pull away first when we stop side by side.

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 09:15 AM
we pull off the road, have a beer and discuss it. (just Kidding, no alcohol and driving at any time)

grumpybob
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Don't ride with other spYders in front or behind me. Don't let other bikes, pull up or ride next to me.

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't ride with other spYders in front or behind me. Don't let other bikes, pull up or ride next to me.

Thats cause you are GRUMPY.

grumpybob
09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Thats cause you are GRUMPY.

You got it! Nobody wants to ride with me.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack:

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
You got it! Nobody wants to ride with me.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack:

Could be a New York Yankee thing also. :gaah: (I was born in Greenpoint Brooklyn N.Y. a bunch of years ago)

grumpybob
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Just remembered this. Last Thurs. I'm on rt 481, a 4 lane divided highway, just headed out of Oswego NY. 6 bikes in front of me in the left lane. I'm in the right lane doing 60, 55 mph limit. A guy on a Harley pulls up next to me, blows his horn, and signals with his hand that he is going to pull in front of me and pass the 6 bikes in front us us on the right. I thought that it was a nice gesture from him and waved him on and waved thanks to him. He got about half way by them when one of them changes lanes into the right lane. Guy on the harley hit his brakes, went as far right as he could possibly go without going off the road and was able to miss the other bike. He then pulled up to the other bike motioned with his hand to the rider, nothing bad that I could see, rode next to him talking then rode off. First he must have wondered why I didn't pass them, was nice to let me know he was going in front of me, found out why I didn't pass them, and lastly handled what could have been a reallly bad crash of 2 to 8 bikes and seemed to stay mentally in charge of his emotions. Two reasons I didn't go by the other bikes were, I didn't trust them not to change lanes, and I was taking the next right turn on County Route 45. Oh, I new all 6 guys in the left lane, didn't know the guy on the Harley.

flamingobabe
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
B. would be the best choice...if riders are use to each other...but communication is best....cb or scala or what ever....even if it's just talking before the ride....maybe we can work on this for the ride to Winnie/Galveston (i"m ifffy...might have out-of-town guest)

CyncySpyder
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
:clap::doorag:We just pull up to the Intersection and while all the other cars are taking pictures of 'The Tedster' the group slides right thru:doorag::clap:
:roflblack::yes:This pup knows how its done:yes::roflblack:
53453 53454 53455

d.o.spyder-rts
09-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Definately not B. I don't know of any lane wide enough to allow spyders side-by-side. Hey grumpybob, ever been through Cobleskill?? Thanks my home town. Go Yankees!! Dale

Sarge707
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Just remembered this. Last Thurs. I'm on rt 481, a 4 lane divided highway, just headed out of Oswego NY. 6 bikes in front of me in the left lane. I'm in the right lane doing 60, 55 mph limit. A guy on a Harley pulls up next to me, blows his horn, and signals with his hand that he is going to pull in front of me and pass the 6 bikes in front us us on the right. I thought that it was a nice gesture from him and waved him on and waved thanks to him. He got about half way by them when one of them changes lanes into the right lane. Guy on the harley hit his brakes, went as far right as he could possibly go without going off the road and was able to miss the other bike. He then pulled up to the other bike motioned with his hand to the rider, nothing bad that I could see, rode next to him talking then rode off. First he must have wondered why I didn't pass them, was nice to let me know he was going in front of me, found out why I didn't pass them, and lastly handled what could have been a reallly bad crash of 2 to 8 bikes and seemed to stay mentally in charge of his emotions. Two reasons I didn't go by the other bikes were, I didn't trust them not to change lanes, and I was taking the next right turn on County Route 45. Oh, I new all 6 guys in the left lane, didn't know the guy on the Harley.

You were Smart and I share you opiniun of group riding- Not for me- Most of the time I don,t know which way I,m going to turn next because I like to be FREE when I ride and the Last thing that reminds me of freedom is someone right ahead of me and someone right on me?nojoke

ARtraveler
09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Group riding in stagger formation.

When coming to a stoplight we tighten up but remain staggered.

When leaving the stoplight, the leader signals that he/she is going to go by brakelights off.

Campverdefela
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
:clap::doorag:We just pull up to the Intersection and while all the other cars are taking pictures of 'The Tedster' the group slides right thru:doorag::clap:
:roflblack::yes:This pup knows how its done:yes::roflblack:
53453 53454 53455

I wonder who the better chick magnet is, the Tedster or a baby. But I suppose Teds the better choice as the law probably wouldn't like the other.:roflblack:

OldDog
09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Group rides in staggered formation with a good leader and tail gunner in communication are ok, but I really prefer not to ride in groups. If I know the people in the group and how they ride I feel better. Riding with people of different skill levels makes me nervous. I am by no means an expert rider nor an expert at group riding. There are people on this forum who have instructor credentials in group riding. Anyone care to chime in? I was almost run over in a group ride a few years ago by a fella following too close. :yikes:

ARtraveler
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
OldDog brings up good points. I was a road captain for years in a motorcycle group. Myself and the sweep person were in communication. Mostly I was assigned "newbie" riders so that was always an extra issue to be alert about. Never had any close calls or "incidents" in several years--so consider myself lucky.

It is good to know the people and their riding characteristics when joining them in a group ride. There were a couple people in the motorcycle group that I gave lots of space to and let them ride ahead when I was not leading a group--that way I could keep my eyes on them.

Our "newbie" group was always at the back of the pack.

OldDog
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Riding in large groups through intersections, trying to keep everyone together, and that road rage driver who breaks into the group are turn offs to me in group riding. I've ridden in a number of group rides over the years, but again there are people on this forum who are WAY more qualified than me to speak about this. I remember a few years ago We had a group of Honda Shadow Sabre riders who rode as a unit from Ohio to Branson Missouri. The ride was great. We all knew each other and were briefed and prepped on group riding procedures. The Road Captain and tail gunner were experienced. We did block moves as a unit. It was cool to watch. It however has been a number of years since I've done this. I would be quite rusty at it now, as i have forgotten a lot of the hand signals.