PDA

View Full Version : 600-mi service - advice?

TasmanianDevil
09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm going to drive down to Vancouver, BC, early Weds AM for "Tas's" (short for Tasmanian Devil) 600-mile service. I would like advice as to what I should learn about Tas's personal maintenance and mods. I live in a small town where people had never seen a (red) RT-S SE5 and I will be traveling by myself throughout Canada and the US so I need to have my act together. I like Spyderpop's belt guard (I've ordered it) and Bumpskid SPY 124 (haven't ordered yet). I also want those led orange-red led lights for the front wheels (not ordered yet).

I have read many of these posts and especially the one for newbies. I have learned all I know from these posts and the manual. I read about a tire pressure guage but can't find the post. I think I could get it through Princess Auto for $15, but want to make certain I get the right one. My last bike was a 199? 1100 cc Virago, on which I road many long X-C trips solo. I flew jets back in the mid 80's that were less complicated than Tas. "Welcome to the 21st century, Sarah!" What should I be carrying with me when I am far from a Can-am dealer (oil/break fluid, fuses, etc?). I have a Deltran Battery Tender Junior and am concerned about being out in the boonies with a flat battery. Should I pack extra battery chords (AC extention - how long?) and DC? Should I get battery and oil pressure guages installed? What should I have along in the unlikely event I should have a flat? Let's see, I live in Canada 6 months of the year so I guess I'll carry bear spray for protection:roflblack:.

Any thoughts about a wish list? I don't have a trailer yet. I think I'll just make do with my mummy sleeping bad, pad and bivy tent for the time being. I'll camp out on my way back from Vancouver and see how they work for me. My 5th wheel trailer is located in a RV resort in Texas so I won't have to crawl out on my hand and knees to pee in the middle of the night once I get there. (I thought those days were over:rolleyes:).

Can you tell I am getting excited to be heading out with my Tasmanian Devil? Thanks for any advice and ribbing you care to send my way.

Sarah

MLavore
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I have done quite a few long trips on bikes and I usually carry the same few things.

A toolkit that is well enough stocked to let you fix minor issues, such as getting to battery leads, checking fuses (bring a few spares as well) and a small container of each essential fluid as with bikes that have a ton of sensors being even an ounce off on something can cause the computer to freak with this I usually fold and stick a few shop rags into a ziploc so I have something in case of spill or oily hands.

A flat battery could be resolved with jumper cables and a friendly passer-by (you can jump from a car, just make sure the car stays OFF so the amps don't spike, if jumping from another bike, turn it on. Make sure you are prepared for minor inconveniences such as minor burn or bug sting / rock in the knuckle (had this happen, sucks) by keeping a small first aid kit handy. Also, being out on the road with nothing around and a flat battery doesn't make a battery tender useful, and most jump packs are WAY too strong for a motorcycle.

I would say with the spyder a flat plug kit and pump is a good idea, also even if your tire pump has a built in gauge get a good separate gauge with a bleed valve so you can get dead accurate. Tire pressure being off by as little as 5 psi can be problematic, again something I can tell you from experience (over inflated rear can slide around on hard braking.)

I would say, carry the items that can viably resolve issues on the road so:

1. Flat Tire : Tire Plug, Pump and Accurate Gauge with bleed valve
2. Dead Battery : Small jumper cables and pray for a passerby.
3. Out of fuel : Small 1 gal gas can (there are ones that are safe to keep in saddlebags)
4. Random Codes : A checklist of essentials to go over and fluids in case of one being low.
5. Having to wait for what seems to be 10,000 geese to cross the road : A sense of humor.

Good Luck!

TasmanianDevil
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing the good advice. I have been concerned about jumping and that part about making certain the automobile is OFF is good to remember. I have also been concerned about running out of fuel. I'll be sure to pick up the proper gas container. Unless I am in a mad dash to get somewhere, I like to travel on back roads.

Two big differences I noticed between Tas and my old bikes is getting used to monitoring all the guages, err screens, and how absolutely friendly everyone is.

Enjoy the ride, Sarah

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
A tent trailer looks very appealing. Ronsam has posted pics on "Spyder with Kayak" of a Leesure lite tent trailer with mounted kayaks and bikes. With that, there would be little reason to return home.

I am not computer literate, WHAT AM I DOING WITH TAS???:roflblack: I finally broke down and bought a cell phone with Roadside Assistance logged in. Anyway, bare with me. I haven't figured out yet how to post Ronsam's pics. Heck, I don't know how to post my pics.

My plan is to take the long way home from Vancouver. Instead of following the coast north, I plan to head east into the mountains and camp out. I may just extend my trip to Osoyoos and check out the tent trailers for sale. Oh, yes, something else I don't want to forget when traveling on Tas is my passport.:ohyea:

Sarah

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
A cell phone and some sort of personal protection (Pepper Spray, or something of that sort) small fold up blanket, Flashlight, EXTRA WATER.

spydercowboy
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Where bouts are you going in Texas? We have a Can-Am dealer just up the road from us if you need dealer service for anything.

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Spydercowboy,

I will probably need servicing by the time I reach TX. I hope to run into you (so to speak) this winter. I'll head south when the weather turns. Thanks, Sarah

MLavore
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Most importantly, don't forget that it's supposed to be fun.

I too take back roads, the highway is so..... uninspiring.

TasmanianDevil
09-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Had the check up and survived the bear's visit that night. See post about essentials for remote travel for details about the bear. I was concerned about the experience of the mechanic because I thought it was his second day working and the staff don't read SpyderLovers.Com. I had over three hours to visit with the staff and am confident with their service. The mechanic has been there for two years. Mike, in parts, has had lots of techncal training. From what I gather, the BRP dealer(s) are concerned that if they install modifications that are not tested and approved by BRP, that they could be in trouble. I still plan to have some mods installed. I almost needed that Bump Skid yesterday when, while travelling at 60+mph, firewood fell off the trailer in front of me. Tas sure does handle nice. I avoided 4 out of 5 pieces. My right front tire hit the last one but didn't do any damage. It turned out that the fellow is a BMW driver and is impressed with Spyders. I learned a lesson about how far firewood can bounce at that speed and I'll never never do it again (drive too close).:spyder:

murphybrown
09-23-2012, 10:15 AM
With your sense of adventure and "let's do it" attitude you and the Tas are going to have tons and miles of joy, fun and pleasure. Here's hoping our paths cross as we live life to the fullest mounted on our "steeds" commonly known as :spyder2:...:yes::yes:traveling all types of roads as we crisscross the USA and Canada!!!

TasmanianDevil
09-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Karyl,

I don't know when I'm heading to TX on Tas. Weather plays a small ;) role. I want to get some mods installed first. Because I am a dual citizen, I can only be in the USA and out of BC for six months of the year:banghead:. This is driving me nuts. I have always been a free spirit and gone where and when I like. Being a commercial pilot was a perfect "excuse";)I am originally from Maine and a US citizen through and through. I have 55 days left this year that I can travel out of BC. Why don't you and your fellow friends come up to BC and explore some remote routes soon?

Oh,yeh? I am thinking about riding Tas to the NE (CA&US) next summer

It's a great life if you don't weaken, Sarah ;)