PDA

View Full Version : TOTALLY CLUELESS AND IN THE DARK TO BOOT

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Need some help from the more technically savy people out there in Spyderland.....I am considering getting some type of GPS device for use on the Spyder......I think something basic will work for me...it does not have to have "blue tooth" what ever that is......of course weather-proof and handlebar mountable and model #'s so I can find it......Thanks all in advance........Your opinion matters.......Mike....:thumbup:

MarkLawson
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
The weatherproof piece makes it a very specific device, so more expensive. The only ones of which I know is the Garmin Zumo line. There may be others, but I don't know...

hawkiii
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
We use the Garmin Zumo 660. Nice unit.

jScotD
09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
i have always liked paper maps.. gives me a reason to pull over and stretch and scratch my head, wondering.. where am I now? and why doesn't this map fold up as easy as it came apart?

NoJive
09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Pretty much everyone likes the Zumos. I actually use a Garmin Etrex 20. It's not motorcycle specific, or vehicle specific. just a handheld unit. It is waterproof, shock resistant, and can do turn by turn directions. It does have a small screen though. However, for $160, it works well. The Spyder has become my Geocaching vehicle, so that's one more reason I went with a handheld.

Starrider
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I use a $130 Garmin Nuvii 50 on my ride. Not weatherproof or motorcycle specific but I can a ziplock bag does a good job of waterproofing for those quick showers. Easy to remove from the cradle and put in saddlebag or frunk in 'frog choker ' rain. Works good for me without a lot of bells and whistles.

MMcc
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
The garmin 500 and 550 are waterproof. You can find them on ebay for under $150. Used mine for 3 years now. Great unit. Good luck.

flamingobabe
09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
hg and I use Garmin 1350 and 1450 not motorcycle specific not waterproof...works GREAT on the Spyder and Valk...if it rains...I just stash it in my tank bag...check out amazon.com...use ram mounts...

Robertsepolen
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Concerning "weatherproof" while it is not my first choice for the bike, (just the one I had), the garmin 40 is not official weatherproof but has held up in downpours and 100+ days. And not just one or two of each. However visibility in sunlight is pretty marginal. It is a basic model with no bluetooth or traffic.

NancysToy
09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I use a Garmin Nuvi 550. It is weatherproof, but no audio output (except the built-in speaker) so you have to use it like a map. That has never been a problem for me, as I was used to tankbags and maps previously. I got a RAM mount for it from GPSCity.com and a USB charger cord and Garmin adapter cord from Powerlet.

Cavman
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I use the Garmin Zumo 550 which is now a discontinued product and also either a GPSMAP 76 or GPSMAP 76 CSx because I'm use to that format. Both of the latter are waterproof and float and also discontinued.
The Garmin GPSMAP 78 series has replaced these units. I use the map type for navigation in my truck, exploring and for Geocaching.

I'm still learning how to use the Zumo 550. Note, the manual comes on a CD which can be a pain when away from a computer. Why Garmin got cheap with no paper manual is beyond me?

btcherm
09-18-2012, 03:12 AM
I use the Garmin nuvi 255w and it work just fine

Ga Blue Knight
09-18-2012, 04:32 AM
I use the Garmin Zumo 550 which is now a discontinued

I'm still learning how to use the Zumo 550. Note, the manual comes on a CD which can be a pain when away from a computer. Why Garmin got cheap with no paper manual is beyond me?

I also have used the Garmin Nuvi 550 and found it works great, pretty cheap now for old new stock amd very motorcycle friendly. I found downloadable PDS file instruction manuals for it for free on the web. I actually like not having it keep telling me what to do as other gPS units do but when I need to I just hook it up to the IPOD plug and it will "speak to me" via the RTS speakers. Also you can ad the XM-30 Satelite antenna for XM/Siris radio. It also works through the IPOD plug.

CyncySpyder
09-18-2012, 05:36 AM
As you've seen, we have the Zumo 665 that has the XM antanae disc included, tho you have to have a subription, we LOVE having music on the go with us, but there are other options to make that possible. If your not needing the XM option, you could move down the line in the Zumo models to find one that suits your needs, as the 660 is what comes standard from BRP on the LMTD RT Models.

For us, I wouldn't want to be without the added options that the 665 offers, albeit you have to have a subscription for the Traffic & Weather Options, like a drug, once you get hooked, you wonder how you ever lived without it:banghead:

harrypottar
09-18-2012, 05:54 AM
You can buy gps waterproof boxes, otter box is good brand. The thing about the zumo is there motorcycle friendly, glove friendly, not just waterproof but have vibration proof technology as well. The mounts are water proof as well. They're expensive, but a very well made gps and you get what you pay for. You also get a car mount with them so they serve as both bike and car gps.

Watch out with zip lock bags you can end up with condensation and a dead gps. Also the best time for a gps is when it's raining and you can not see that we'll in front of you, the gps will guide you while you concentrate on the road. If you have to remove it when it rains them defeats the purpose.

I just sold my Zumo 550, I was mentioning this to a friend, he his thinking of selling his. He just upgraded to a Zumo 665 and does not use the 550 any more. It's got everything with it software, motorcycle and car cradle even the original box it came in. He wants $400 for it I can put you in touch if you're intrested. His in MA, same town as me so you could meet up if you are intrested.

Harry
oh btw, he rides a 400cc 3 wheel leaning scooter the MP3 (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/225/4437/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Piaggio-MP3-500-Scooter-Review.aspx).

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/large/2009-piaggio-mp3-scooter-1.jpg

dancogan
09-18-2012, 06:07 AM
I find having the audio part of the GPS is very important. It means that in heavy traffic, rain, fog, etc. I can listen to the GPS and not take my eyes off the road to look at the map. The 660, now replaced by the 665, works well with my Sena bluetooth unit.

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm still thinking about this whole issue...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif
I'm not real keen on leaving a very expensive chunk of my wallet bolted to the center of the handlebars where some :cus: can make off iwth it...
A GPS hidden in the frunk (or top trunk) and linked to a Bluetooth headset might just fit the bill...
No video games; but it'll talk you through the process to getting where you want to be! :thumbup:

Recluze
09-18-2012, 06:39 AM
I use a Garmin Nuvi 225 About $75 Pros Holds list of Spyder dealers, has Roadside America loaded into it( shows you every quirky landmark along the way) comes preloaded with hotel and gas places which I find very useful. Cons: Not waterproof. No Bluetooth. Honestly if were to get wet and stop working I would just stop at the next store and buy another. I am pretty sure I have more invested in the mounts then the unit cost.

I also use a TomTom ryder 2; about $800 Pros: waterproof, glove operatable, bluetooth. Con: It pretty much sucks at everything else but I paid so much for it I feel I have to use it. The mounts for this are ridiculously expensive and hard to get these days.

I would not mount one in the trunk. The blue tooth will talk you to death when you have no need and you will not me able to shut it off. Get a cheap Garmin and pop it off on ocassion. The 225 is about the size of a men's wallet

harrypottar
09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm still thinking about this whole issue...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif
I'm not real keen on leaving a very expensive chunk of my wallet bolted to the center of the handlebars where some :cus: can make off iwth it...
A GPS hidden in the frunk (or top trunk) and linked to a Bluetooth headset might just fit the bill...
No video games; but it'll talk you through the process to getting where you want to be! :thumbup:

All the Garmin mounts allow you to do quick removal, when you stop simply un-clcik (takes only a second) and lock it in the frunk.
I put mine inside my helmet then put the helmet in trailer or frunk

harry

wyliec
09-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Mike,

Whatever gps you decide on you may want to check-

http://www.overstock.com

If you check, once there, just type gps in the search bar.

pro10is
09-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Bob, not a good idea. The visuals are very important. I would never want to rely on the Bluetooth alone for serious navigation. And you need to access the screen controls often. The solution is to simply not buy an expensive Zumo. Sure they're great but at $600+ it's not something I would be comfortable leaving on the bike and I don't want to have to remove it every time I run into a store.

Instead make a compromise and buy a slightly out of date Garmin closeout. These can be had for around $100 or less. Some are incredibly well featured. No they're not waterproof but when it starts to rain you can either pop the unit in a trunk or simply put a plastic bag over it. This works great and was even recently recommended by Consumer Reports as an effective solution.

If you really want a Zumo and have the $$$ for one, they're the best for motorcycles. But if you want a excellent GPS without spending a fortune and you're willing to compromise a bit there are plenty of low cost options. And you won't cry if someone walks off with it.

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for this perspective! :thumbup: This is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet on this project; too much to learn still... :shocked:

Sarge707
09-18-2012, 11:33 AM
i have always liked paper maps.. gives me a reason to pull over and stretch and scratch my head, wondering.. where am I now? and why doesn't this map fold up as easy as it came apart?

I,m with ya ! While others have I-Phone 4s and 5 I have a Trac Phone- Costs $6.77 a Month?:yikes:

zrc
09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
If you wanted to go to the Audio and not the waterproof / see the map route, then the frunk with a 12v outlet and velcro'd would work fine. You could even go with an audio'd headphone / earbud, just need a cord to a water proof jack near the cluster and you can hook up some ear buds. Also you might be able to locate an earlier verizon of a garmin, put it in the frunk and have a BT adaptor. Either making it easy, and honestly less expensive.

If you wanna see the map however, pending your cellphone, there are LOTS of options.

There is a company out there that will 100% waterproof a phone for like 70 bucks, I bet they would do it for a GPS too, so you could probably get a sub 200 dollar waterproof if you did both.

Littlebadwolf
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Garmin 660 used in conjunction with the Sena headset....waterproof, great pairing with the Sena and my I-touch for tunes...can't beat it...nasty weather, just listen thru your headset.

GeoffCee
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I have the Garmin Zumo 550. Garmin says it can be submersed in a bucket of water for 30 minutes without a problem. Not that you'd have cause to do that but it shows its impeccable wet-weather credentials. The 550 is a discontinued model according to Garmin but they are still popular among British bikers and Garmin-refurbished examples fly off the shelves. It has a slot for a SD HC Memory Card which will hold maps, routes, mp3 tracks, etc. The 550 also has a BlueTooth connection for phone or headset. A comprehensive Operator Manual is available from Garmin on a PDF file. Lifetime Maps can be purchased. It's an excellent addition to my Spyder RT. :thumbup:

BlueLine
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I have had a Zumo 550 since they came out and have moved in thru 3 Bikes. It is waterproof but has a history of the touch screen going crazy, however this is a cheap fix if you don't send it back to Garmin. It can be self repaired with screen replacements from China via eBay (12-25 dollars) The entire unit can also be found on eBay relatively cheap. Mine has a docking system with built in lock, and is hard wired to the bike. SL site has a very cheap mounting system on Do-it-yourself which will cost you about $2 to fabricate. The supplied Garmin attachment will not fit the wide Spyder bars, so you must fabricate one or buy a $150 one from BRP. My friend has the newer Zumo that CanAm sells but he doesn't like the dim screen, my 550 is brighter and easy to see. The 550 has an upgrade able data base but I don't upgrade, so sometime I travel where there are no roads(According to my GPS) What ever you choose make sure you have a paper map back-up, my Zumo has routed me to some very strange places, which any GPS will do. :ani29: If you just want to find a restaurant or gas station go with the cheapie throw away in a plastic bag, your gonna want to do that anyway the first time it leads you astray

captblack
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
This is an interesting thread. I know an awful lot of us have been driving for a long time and hopefully, learned to use paper maps. Now that we have electronic devices we tend to rely on them too much, in my opinion, anyway.

In my way of thinking, if you're going to use a GPS the number one thing would be that it's easy for you to use and to see while going down the road. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but before I leave to go somewhere I've never been I map it out on either a paper map or if I want to be modern I use Google maps. Then when I leave I hook up my GPS and use it for quick reference for how many miles are left, distance to turns, etc. I also will set waypoints for planned fuel stops, which works good for me. I use a Garmin 1550 mounted where my fuel gauge used to be and that works quite well. I never, whether on the bike or in my truck use the voice information.

Having worked with military GPS since it's inception, I trust it within the limitations of the units. GPS, when used with a proper map or chart, is accurate to two or 3 feet. To do this you must plot latitude and longitude. When we use a commercial unit we are at the mercy of the quality of their map. If it is not accurate then our position will not be accurate. I'll grant you that on a highway it's not that critical but in a city it certainly could be. You also have to pay attention to how your GPS is set. If you set for the fastest routes you get to ride lot interstates but if you set it for the shortest distance you will sometimes go on some crazy rides. That is why I preplan my trips.

A prime example was last week I met up with some folks coming from another town to eat at a restaurant here were I live. I did not realize that none of them knew how to get there or I would've offered to guide them. I know the ride captain took a lot of grief because his GPS led him down a couple of roads and they had to do U-turns to get where they needed to go. Once again, my recommendation is plan your trip before you go which helps limit the surprises.

Regardless of what unit you get you should make sure that it has free updates to the maps and any special features. Sometimes new roads open or old routes get closed down and you can go a long way out of your way before you find out that you lost.

Just my two cents worth...

wyliec
09-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I never, whether on the bike or in my truck use the voice information.

Regardless of what unit you get you should make sure that it has free updates to the maps and any special features. Sometimes new roads open or old routes get closed down and you can go a long way out of your way before you find out that you lost.

Just my two cents worth...

Do you mind if I ask why? That is usually what I use the most. I have bluetooth and it makes it easier/safer (IMO) when in an urban area with traffic rather than looking at the gps.

Good luck with free map updates, if you have a garmin. Of course, I think with garmin you pay once and you are good for lifetime updates; but, what good is that if you buy a new gps every couple years.

mcaccamise
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi guys i have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 that i use in my car and would like to use on my RSS only problem is where to attach it even with the suction cup mount it will only stick to the guage panel so not a good spot any ideas im Cluless Thanks,
Mike

wyliec
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
would like to use on my RSS only problem is where to attach it

One location would be on the handlebars on the right hand side with a RAM mount. You can remove the small plastic piece next to the kill switch/starter switch.

mcaccamise
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Wyliec i see the plastic ring on the bars does it have to be broken off or does the grip come off, also where should i look for the ram mount.
Mike

wyliec
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks Wyliec i see the plastic ring on the bars does it have to be broken off or does the grip come off, also where should i look for the ram mount.
Mike

I used a utility knife. http://www.gpscity.com/mounts is a good place for RAM mounts.

I would go here first to determine the p/n's req'd:

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/

Then go to gpscity.com

captblack
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Do you mind if I ask why? That is usually what I use the most. I have bluetooth and it makes it easier/safer (IMO) when in an urban area with traffic rather than looking at the gps.

Good luck with free map updates, if you have a garmin. Of course, I think with garmin you pay once and you are good for lifetime updates; but, what good is that if you buy a new gps every couple years.

I always found the voice prompts distracting. By preplanning my trip I kind of have a picture in my head of what I should be seeing on the GPS. The few times I did get in the urban environment I preferred to follow the road signs with a quick check of the GPS. The model I have has good directions when it comes to exits by highlighting the proper lanes. Truth be told, I've sort of avoid urban areas when at all possible.

The Garman I have has free lifetime updates and I would not buy a GPS didn't have those. As far as upgrading, unless they launch more satellites or the unit dies there is no reason to replace it, unless you just want more bells and whistles. I actually have four units. I have an old tom-tom that still works although the screen is small. I also have a handheld that is great if you have a chart. I've used it on a boat with excellent results.

It really all boils down to what you're comfortable with, what you can afford and what your needs actually are. Personally, my favorite maps are set a motorcycle maps that fold nicely and are water resistant. They're very easy to read and show places that I would never find with the GPS.

So, enjoy the ride wherever it might take you.

MikeinGA
09-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I use a $100.00 TomTom XL 350 TM and Ram mounts with Ram Medium-Wide Aqua Box. I drove with TomTom in the aqua box in a hard rain 15 times and kept the TomTom. Got them all on Amazon.com and they had the lowest price and free shipping.

Mike

Grandpa Pete
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I use my smart phone. It has GPS navigation and point of reference so I always now where I'm at. If you have that type of phone, it should be a free app. Hope this help. Keep 3 on the road:thumbup:.

Arthur---Mexico
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Mike,

I have all your answers about mounting a GPS on your Spyder and where to get the parts in the States. I did it successfuly on my GS SE5 2008. Contact me at xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx. I'll be out of town for 6 nights so I will get back to you after the 24th or tonight if you are in a hurry. When you answer please give me your full name and street address for my files. You will have to have a plug in 12V outlet on your dash.
Arthur
Arthur S. Cohen
Ibsen 72
Mexico City, Mexico 11560

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;516319] Need some help from the more technically savy people out there in Spyderland.....I am considering getting some type of GPS device for use on the Spyder......I think something basic will work for me...it does not have to have "blue tooth" what ever that is......of course weather-proof and handlebar mountable and model #'s so I can find it......Thanks all in advance........Your opinion matters.......Mike....:thumbup:.

harrypottar
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM
One thing worth mentioning with GPS devices is the ability to pre-plan routes and download them to the GPS.

All GPS devices will allow you to enter a destination, some will let you select different route types, shortest, fastest, economical route etc.

Whats nice is being able to pre-plan the route on the home computer, when I went to SITA i didn't just want to take the fastest route, I wanted to take a scenic route.

The Garmin comes with mapping software and you can even use google maps and import them into the mapping software. You can set way points add pictures and notes along the way etc.

If traveling to a new location I normally program the hotel and after some research places to see.

Mad Maps have been making scenic route maps for years, you can now buy and download them to the Zumo's I have the rallies and New England Mad Maps on my Zumo.

There are web sites out there that share GPS files so you can download some ones else ride.

They're also fun for getting lost, some days I like to take a road I've never been down before, just keep riding for a few hours then just hit home when I'm done.

POI's are great while on the road, being able to find the nearest whatever is great.

detours are great as well, stuck in road works or bad traffic jam, hit detour and your on a different route out of there.

There's a lot you can do with a GPS than just get you from A-B just need to play a little.

I have studied orienteering back in my university days of hill climbing and back packing and I'm very comfortable with a traditional map, but I wouldn't go anywhere now with out my GPS.

IMHO, worth investing in a really high quality full featured one.

just my 2 cents, not worth as much as it used to be.

harry

Farmbanker
09-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty clueless too but I got the RAM X Grip that I saw Lamont use and am going to try to use my Tom Tom or Samsung Galaxy S III phone for GPS. Tom Tom is pretty inexpensive, phone uses Google Maps and both will talk to my Sena headset. Phone kills three birds as I can listen to music, receive phone calls, and listen to directions. Not sure if I am going to like it or not but ziploc bags are cheap if it decides to rain.

jScotD
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
CaptBlack said

Sometimes new roads open or old routes get closed down and you can go a long way out of your way before you find out that you lost.

or sometimes in larger cities they change the road daily.. read about a person listening to their GPS telling them which way to turn and they did.. right smack into a concrete barrier that wasn't there that morning..

A little common visual sense come in handy,,,sometimes

btw.. no music has ever been with me on my rides.. I enjoy the peace of being.. only distractions/attractions I want, is what's in front of me..that's why I ride

however.. a radar dectector is very nice.. long ago and far away , a friend From Houston TX and I were ln the process of leaving Denver, CO. in the late 70's.. we were both up to twisting the limit.. I always rode in front.. as we were topping a hill.. my detector went into full tilt boogie mode and I slammed on my brakes.. went went from 85 to 55 by the time we topped the hill.. 5 state trooper cars lined up at an angle over the hill... we got glared at.. giGGLe.. if you want a GPS as well as Radar protection I suggest Escort, be it radar dectors or this http://www.escortradar.com/iq/ (http://www.escortradar.com/store/product.php?productid=16230&cat=0&page=1)

GeoffCee
09-19-2012, 03:50 AM
The 550 has an upgrade able data base but I don't upgrade, so sometime I travel where there are no roads(According to my GPS) What ever you choose make sure you have a paper map back-up, my Zumo has routed me to some very strange places, which any GPS will do. :ani29: If you just want to find a restaurant or gas station go with the cheapie throw away in a plastic bag, your gonna want to do that anyway the first time it leads you astray

I am confused! You say you don't upgrade and then go on to explain the disadvantages of not doing so.

I keep my 550 as up to date as I can through Garmin's Lifetime Maps in order that the roads I intend travelling on really do exist!

A secondary advantage of this is to keep current with Navtec's ever-increasing database throughout Europe (my region of road travel) which includes places to eat, shop, buy gas, get medical treatment or specialist engineering services, etc., etc.

I agree with you that a paper map is useful in giving an overall impression of where places are relative to one another and in providing a general direction to head for. A mental image of where you are going is certainly an advantage, as is the knowledge that the sun always moves across the sky left to right in northern latitudes and moss grows on the north-facing side of a tree.
Navigation by GPS is technically very persuasive but it isn't the only way! :spyder:

ulflyer
09-19-2012, 05:01 AM
BlueKnight: I just finished making a mount for my RT. Being cheap, I cut a piece of aluminum plating that I happened to have so that it fit between the two lower bolts of the handlebars and painted it black. Because of the curvature of the bars it had to have a couple of inserts underneath to make it stand up a bit, and longer bolts. To this mount I attached a Ram ball and the other Ram stuff for my Garmin 750 which my wife no longer used. You can't see the screen in direct sunlight but a cheap earbud plug-in lets you hear it. I haven't tried an anti-glare screen to see if that helps. The GPS is not something I will often use so I'm expecting not to have charger cord attached. If so, I can fashion one underneath the seat to battery posts and simple run the cord from under the seat up to the GPS. Cost was about $20 for chrome bolts, inserts, & washers. If you'd like to have a template of the mount, be glad to mail it to you; PM your address.