PDA

View Full Version : WIRE GAGE ???

Bmac
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
I am wanting to hook up LEDs to my mirrors on 2010 RT can someone tell me what gage the wire is so I can buy some POSITAPS . THANKS

NancysToy
09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
The wiring diagram shows it as 20 ga. What your LEDs are, I can't say.

pro10is
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM

You need to know the current draw of the LED circuit you intend to use. It may be on the package or in the spec sheet. Most pre-packaged LED's for 12 Volts use include a built in current limiting resistor. Around 20-40 milliamps (0.02-0.04 Amps) @ 12Volts is typical unless they're super bright or multiple LEDs which may draw more. If you have a decent multimeter that has a current measurement setting you can hook it up in series and measure the amperage.

If you can't find the current just use 20 to 26 gauge wire. It's thin enough for this purpose and will give you more than enough ampacity for an LED circuit. However if the circuit includes a large rectangular resistor (used for simulating the load of an incandescent bulb) stick with 20 gauge wire minimum.

NancysToy
09-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't think he's looking for what size wire to use,but rather what size wire is already there, so he can get the appropriate sized connectors to hook up to the existing turn signal wiring.

pro10is
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't think he's looking for what size wire to use,but rather what size wire is already there, so he can get the appropriate sized connectors to hook up to the existing turn signal wiring.
Oh, ok. Well the chart includes the wire gauge diameters although to measure that close he'll need a caliper.