PDA

View Full Version : Getting "Check Engine" light?

tobor9
09-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Twice last week and again today I've gotten a check engine light with no noticeable change in performance or other indicators,no limp home. when i can i stop and turn it off,wait a min. and restart and it runs fine for a few more days,I think it sounds louder and I'm thinking Y gaskets,would that cause a check engine light? My RS now has over 13K miles on it and is running fine except for sounding louder and maybe a little rougher in the low 4k rpm range and the CE light.:dontknow:

NancysToy
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Bad Y-gaskets could, indeed, cause a check engine light, as they can affect the O2 sensor.

tobor9
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Thats what I was thinking,guess i'll check my Honda dealer for some gaskets and then check mine(always have parts first!)Thanks

boborgera
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Thats what I was thinking,guess i'll check my Honda dealer for some gaskets and then check mine(always have parts first!)Thanks

18392 - MAM - 000 @ Two.

sandrunr1
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Possible oil sensor. That was my problem.

NancysToy
09-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Possible oil sensor. That was my problem.
That's another liklihood. The actual fault code(s) would tell us more.

tobor9
09-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Whats the proceedure to retrive codes on the RS,it is not the same as the RT i've used on my wife's RT. I tried that last time it came up and only screwed up my display settings:banghead:

Captain Fin
09-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Twice last week and again today I've gotten a check engine light with no noticeable chyyange in performance or other indicators,no limp home. when i can i stop and turn it off,wait a min. and restart and it runs fine for a few more days,I think it sounds louder and I'm thinking Y gaskets,would that cause a check engine light? My RS now has over 13K miles on it and is running fine except for sounding louder and maybe a little rougher in the low 4k rpm range and the CE light.:dontknow:

you may be ridding with your foot on the brake. This happened to me when I first took delivery of my spyder. Your foot on the brake will cause the check engine light to come on.

tobor9
09-17-2012, 07:22 AM
No,not riding with foot on brake,I did that when first got spyder, but learned quick,also when that happend I got Limp mode,not just ck. eng. Will call local Honda bike shop and get gaskets,Thanks

NancysToy
09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Whats the proceedure to retrieve codes on the RS,it is not the same as the RT i've used on my wife's RT. I tried that last time it came up and only screwed up my display settings:banghead:
I'm gonna have to put this in a file somewhere so I can copy and paste instead of constantly rewriting it.

Turn Ignition key to "ON".
Use "MODE" button to display total hours.
Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).

The active faults will be displayed or "No Active Fault Code" will be shown. If you get no message, you didn't get the flash beams sequence in during the allotted time. Try again.

tobor9
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks,pasted it to desktop of shop computer,will have to wait till next ck. egn. light to pull code, but picked up gaskets from honda for $7.37ea.

tobor9
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Got a CE light again today and got code P0706,just looked it up in my shop manuel and it was not listed? I was on the road and pulled over and retrived the code, made note of it and contined my ride after clearing the fault as I did not have my shop book with me(is on computer)any idea what it means?

boborgera
09-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Got a CE light again today and got code P0706,just looked it up in my shop manuel and it was not listed? I was on the road and pulled over and retrived the code, made note of it and contined my ride after clearing the fault as I did not have my shop book with me(is on computer)any idea what it means?

P0706 = Gear Change Sequence Logic, EMC.
You might have to see your dealer.

tobor9
09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks,have not notice any shift problems,hope it holds up till next service.

NancysToy
09-20-2012, 07:07 AM
P0706 = Gear Change Sequence Logic, EMC.
You might have to see your dealer.

:agree:

SPYD3R
09-20-2012, 07:43 AM
i found that when i first got mine, '09 SE5, i would have the same issue... come to find out, i was shifting into a higher gear at too low a speed... i'd be in 5th gear by 35 mph... then i'd go into LIMP MODE... after a week or two of this, i figured out that a higher gear wasn't always best... i've since put on another 23,000 miles without this issue ever re-appearing... MINIMUM MPH for each gear is: 1st - 20 mph, 2nd - 30 mph, 3rd - 40 mph, 4th - 50 mph & 5th, is good at 55 mph... try this for the next few rides and see if there's a difference... if not, you have other issues...
NOTE: i read a tremendous amount of issues with some SPYD3RS... i now have well over 23,000 miles and have been basically ISSUE FREE.... please keep up on your maintenance and have your bike serviced at an approved BPR shop...

Arr MiHardies
09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Basically shift up once passing about 5k rpm, and shift down when you drop below 4k rpm

tobor9
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I usually do shift above 5k, but sometimes conditions change,yesterday when this happened I was on a hwy. going 55-60 when I saw a school bus ahead turn on his spot lights and started downshifting and I guess it did not like it,Thanks for info,will keep closer eye on tach.

tobor9
09-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Got nother CE light the othe day and pulled over ASAP and pulled the code and got a No active code while the CE light was on! how can it tell me no active code if it has a fault light on? it was fine when I turned it off and then bake on and had no further problem,is this a real problem or just a glitch? not having any performance issues,runs great. I'm about 1500 miles to next service,can this wait or should I take it in now?

GeoffCee
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm gonna have to put this in a file somewhere so I can copy and paste instead of constantly rewriting it.

Turn Ignition key to "ON".
Use "MODE" button to display total hours.
Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).

The active faults will be displayed or "No Active Fault Code" will be shown. If you get no message, you didn't get the flash beams sequence in during the allotted time. Try again.

This is the first time I've seen this, Scotty, an I've been snuffling around gathering info from this forum since at least Dec. 2010. I've got to say I'm darn grateful to you for posting this secretive Inspector Clueseau-type work-around, having the secret code is a huge help in understanding WTF is going on! Now if you just happen to have a list of Fault Codes and what they mean I'll be able to throw my WWII Enigma machine out with the trash! :roflblack:

Starrider
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Queen B's '08 Gs SM5 was bringing up the check engine light a lot. Changed sparkplugs and wires and replaced the 'Y' gaskeets. No problem since.;);)

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
This is the first time I've seen this, Scotty, an I've been snuffling around gathering info from this forum since at least Dec. 2010. I've got to say I'm darn grateful to you for posting this secretive Inspector Clueseau-type work-around, having the secret code is a huge help in understanding WTF is going on! Now if you just happen to have a list of Fault Codes and what they mean I'll be able to throw my WWII Enigma machine out with the trash! :roflblack:
Easiest thing on the fault codes is to post here to get them interpreted. There are too many to list in a thread. They are in the shop manual (as is the procedure) if you have a copy.

MikeinGA
12-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Bad Y-gaskets could, indeed, cause a check engine light, as they can affect the O2 sensor.

I had to change my Y-gaskets at 6,000 miles, they just started to leak on the left side. I replaced the BRP Y-gaskets with Honda and they were a lot less money for a better product. The old ones were burned off at the bottom. That's IMHO.

Mike

major911
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks,have not notice any shift problems,hope it holds up till next service.

Even though you haven't noticed any performance changes or limp mode (yet) Think of that check engine light as an early warning system. You can choose to ignore it and hope you make it till the next service or you can have it checked and possibly prevent an even larger problem. Experience is an excellent teacher. :lecturef_smilie:

Questions
07-18-2014, 01:42 PM
I have experienced heavy vibration throughout bike going down a hill, backing off on throttle in 4th or 5th gear at 4K to 4.2K. (If you put power to it, the vibration goes away). It didn't happen for the 1st year but now it is getting worse. Dealer says it's normal but I don't think so.
Bob

Princeau99
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I have experienced heavy vibration throughout bike going down a hill, backing off on throttle in 4th or 5th gear at 4K to 4.2K. (If you put power to it, the vibration goes away). It didn't happen for the 1st year but now it is getting worse. Dealer says it's normal but I don't think so.
Bob
With a seemingly un-related issue?
Yesterday you posted your bike was still in the shop with a third blown transmission.
What possible joy do you get from posting nonsens?