PDA

View Full Version : Spyder with a problem

fitz
09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I have a 011 Spyder RT ,wiyh 3000 miles I bought it new hear in east Texas , I like it but , from time to time when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 3th to 4th it will shut off for 2 to 3 seconds , not all the time . It has be to my local dealer three times , they say the same thing , Canam can 'nt tell what to do to fix this , Canam says change the fluids tell the owner to ride it and see what happens .The only I got so far is clean oil . Has any one else had this , if so please let me know . Thanks Rfitz

CyncySpyder
09-16-2012, 04:30 PM
(shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 3th to 4th it will shut off for 2 to 3 seconds)

What do you mean by IT WILL SHUT OFF? The entire Spyder Shuts off and losses power or everything keeps running, but it feels like it 'lags' in between shifts? Big difference there.

What RPM shift points are you shifting at? Lower RPMs will cause what your describing and eventually cause your clutch plates to burn up. The Rotax Engine is DESIGNED to be a high RPM Engine, and SHOULD NOT BE shifted below 4000 RPM with the Optimal Power Band being around 5000 RPMs. Many new ryders try to ryde the Spyder like their old two wheeler which was designed to run at much lower RPMs and many have initial issues until they learn to forget everything the knew about 2 wheelers, and learn to ryde the Spyder like it was designed to be ridden. Here's a link to a thread with some of the BEST info for New Spyder Ryders, I highly recommend checking it out.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Any other info you can provide, like any mods, after market parts, etc... When you originally took delivery of the machine, did your dealer go over the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) with you and explain everything to you to where you felt comfortable with the machine? Knowing these things will also help us to help you. Let us know.

Dave n Ted~

Pennyrick
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a 011 Spyder RT ,wiyh 3000 miles I bought it new hear in east Texas , I like it but , from time to time when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 3th to 4th it will shut off for 2 to 3 seconds , not all the time . It has be to my local dealer three times , they say the same thing , Canam can 'nt tell what to do to fix this , Canam says change the fluids tell the owner to ride it and see what happens .The only I got so far is clean oil . Has any one else had this , if so please let me know . Thanks Rfitz

Fitz:

If you are upshifting at less than 3,000 rpm you can lose power for a few seconds before it lags back to the original gear. If that what you are experiencing you aren't letting the engine do its job. It needs to get into the upper RPM range to protect the clutch mechansim.

Farmboy
09-17-2012, 04:00 AM
your blipper valve is hanging open. Dont ask me what the hell a "blipper valve" is but mine was doing the same thing. The tech at cowtown stated mine was hanging up "open" when I would shift gears and get back into the throttle and then there would be a dead spot then she would take off. got repaired when they changed my throttle body.

fitz
09-17-2012, 10:43 AM
your blipper valve is hanging open. Dont ask me what the hell a "blipper valve" is but mine was doing the same thing. The tech at cowtown stated mine was hanging up "open" when I would shift gears and get back into the throttle and then there would be a dead spot then she would take off. got repaired when they changed my throttle body.

Thanks for the reply , the blipper makes sence to me , will look for it .