PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light just came on!!!!!!!!!

Flight Risk
09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
A couple of hours ago I hopped on my RTS to go visit my sister. Much to my surprise the big orange CHECK ENGINE light came on in three places total. :yikes: It threw no codes, just that heart stopping message. The dealership said it was alright to ride it up there. They plugged it into the computer, as I was holding my breath, and all was needed was 2 updates....ECM and TCM!!! WTH??? Short story short, all is well...now if I can just get my heart to calm down.........whew!

ARtraveler
09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
It is amazing how that orange screen can just turn your stomach instantly. Very scarry.

My comment: I think the computer is oversensitive in some areas.

shelbydave
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
A couple of hours ago I hopped on my RTS to go visit my sister. Much to my surprise the big orange CHECK ENGINE light came on in three places total. :yikes: It threw no codes, just that heart stopping message. The dealership said it was alright to ride it up there. They plugged it into the computer, as I was holding my breath, and all was needed was 2 updates....ECM and TCM!!! WTH??? Short story short, all is well...now if I can just get my heart to calm down.........whew!

It's very nice that they equipped these machines with wireless... or ESP!!! How did the ECM know there was an update available????:shocked::shocked::joke::joke:

Flight Risk
09-13-2012, 05:46 PM
It's very nice that they equipped these machines with wireless... or ESP!!! How did the ECM know there was an update available????:shocked::shocked::joke::joke:

I have NO idea. I actually watched the tech hook up my bike, watched the computer screen and it said it was "learning".????? Tech said there were two updates and told me what they were. It took two times to complete the process but dang why can't the screen just say something like "update needed" instead of scaring me to death. I know the TCM has something to do with throttle but I have no idea what the ECM means.........

NancysToy
09-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I have NO idea. I actually watched the tech hook up my bike, watched the computer screen and it said it was "learning".????? Tech said there were two updates and told me what they were. It took two times to complete the process but dang why can't the screen just say something like "update needed" instead of scaring me to death. I know the TCM has something to do with throttle but I have no idea what the ECM means.........
The Spyder can't tell you there is an update available, because it doesn't know. It has to be hooked to BUDS to find that out. Basically, your engine and/or transmission had a "hiccup". The tech found BRP had released a couple of updates, and supposedly they will address that hickup. They updated your Engine Control Module and your Transmission Control Module. Even if the updates were not related to your problem, they were needed nonetheless. Regularly checking for updates is one good reason to periodically have your service performed by the dealer...or pay for a diagnotics check.