PDA

View Full Version : Front fender tip lights

Magic Man
12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't know how many of you also thought that the white fender tip lights on your Spyder look out of place? In my case being I have a yellow unit it seemed to look even worse with the white lights against the yellow paint. I have found the perfect replacement for these in the 5 watt rating needed in an amber bulb which looks 1000% better in these tip lights. It is a number 2827 style bulb available at most auto parts stores. After changing mine I was very happy on how such a small, cheap and easy to do thing made the bike look so much better.

Ride safe
Ev

MetroAsian
12-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Can you post a pic of how the new lights look like? I have a yellow spyder and may consider doing what you did depending on the looks.

rbrannum
12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea. I will try it. At night the white lights are near the review mirror and sometimes gives me the impression that there is a cycle behind me. DUH

Spyderman
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks, I spent the $3.97 at the local auto parts store and didn't need pics to imagine amber lights on the front.

Lamonster
12-24-2007, 01:36 PM
:doorag:

jeuchler
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know how many of you also thought that the white fender tip lights on your Spyder look out of place? In my case being I have a yellow unit it seemed to look even worse with the white lights against the yellow paint. I have found the perfect replacement for these in the 5 watt rating needed in an amber bulb which looks 1000% better in these tip lights. It is a number 2827 style bulb available at most auto parts stores. After changing mine I was very happy on how such a small, cheap and easy to do thing made the bike look so much better.

Ride safe
Ev

Geez, I love a simple change that makes a big difference.

Thanks, MagicMan!

I'll post a pic when it gets dark, but in daylight they sure now look, well...normal. Like running lights should. :bigthumbsup:

EDIT: Here's just a quick (not very professional!) pic. Like the amber much better than the white.

http://www.6impossible.com/images/spyder2929fenderLightsSm.jpg

billclemen
05-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Thank for the picture. Looks great. I went to 2 different auto parts stores today and neither had the correct bulb, but I will keep my eyes out for a pair.

Magic Man
05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Thank for the picture. Looks great. I went to 2 different auto parts stores today and neither had the correct bulb, but I will keep my eyes out for a pair.

I first found these at the local Advanced Auto Parts store here in NY

Rando
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
MM, thanks for the tip! I replaced them yesterday and they look great!

spyderrider44
05-05-2008, 02:19 AM
:spyder: :2cool: i am getting mine tomorrow thanks for the tip :bigthumbsup:

Magic Man
05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Glad to help!

barb36jack31
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
OK, here is what may be a dumb question. The owner's manual says to pry the lens off using a screwdriver. Do you put the screwdriver blade on top of the rubber gasket and pry the clear lens off, or do you place the blade below the rubber gasket and pry the whole thing out.? It would seem the latter would risk marring the paint on the fender.

Advice please.

Jack H.

jeuchler
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
OK, here is what may be a dumb question. The owner's manual says to pry the lens off using a screwdriver. Do you put the screwdriver blade on top of the rubber gasket and pry the clear lens off, or do you place the blade below the rubber gasket and pry the whole thing out.? It would seem the latter would risk marring the paint on the fender.

Advice please.

Jack H.

Yikes!

Put the screwdriver away, Jack.

Reach under the left fender with your right hand and push up on it, while with your left hand squeezing the lens gently, top and bottom toward each other.

There are tabs, but they are not tight. The lens with gasket comes out.

Then with the housing pushed out, just rotate it, I guess a quarter turn to separate it from the lens.

Pull the bulb straight out and insert the new one. Might wanna clean under that gasket; it's not a tight seal on mine, and there was mud there.

Replace.

Repeat for right fender.... :bigthumbsup:

(5 minutes, 'cause I'm old.)

barb36jack31
05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info buddy. You are one of the good guys!

Jack H.

jeuchler
05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info buddy. You are one of the good guys!

Jack H.

Ha!

Thanks, Jack--

Now, could you forward that remark to my lovely bride? I need some extra credit...

Questions
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Had trouble finding the 2827 bulb here in Minn. Endded up with aGE194NA its 5 watts and looks great.

SPYMAN
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
just swiched out my bulbs this morning, I cant wait for the morning ride to work so I can check it out.

Thanks for the info.

:doorag: SPYMAN :bigthumbsup:

barb36jack31
05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I have a silver/black Spyder and I think the clear lights look OK on the fenders. Has someone put the amber lights on the silver Spyder? How did they look? I can visualize the amber lights on the yellow bike as looking great, I'm not just sure about the silver. Comments please.

Jack H.

jeuchler
05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like a big rig. :bigthumbsup:

(I'll post another nighttime photo, Jack.)

pphantom538
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Amber on red?

NancysToy
05-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Did this mod today. Looks great on a yellow arachnid. The lights are easily removed to change the bulbssily. Push upward from the outside, until the bottom slips out. Then move outward and downward slightly, and the whole assembly comes loose. The wire is short, so it won't come far. Twist the lens, holding the socket, and the socket will pop out. Change the bulb, reverse the procedure, and enjoy. The #2827 bulbs were available at my local Advance Auto Parts store. None of the other stores in town seem to carry them. You could probably use the more common #194NA bulbs, but they are actually a lower wattage and brightness.

Thanks for the tip!
-Scotty

bjt
05-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I have a little photo essay of removing the running lights. We did this when we were removing dltang's body panels for painting so some of the stuff will look different than if you are just changing the lights.

Looking from the front of the Spyder, push the light assembly up or towards the rear of the Spyder

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/9398e892-1.jpg

This will compress the rear latch (red arrow) allowing the front latch (blue arrow) to lift free from the fender

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/9336cdcd-1.jpg

There will be enough slack in the wires to lift the light assembly away from the fender enough for you to remove the socket (red arrow) from the lens assembly (blue arrow). You just unscrew it about 1/8th turn.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/0c10fe12-1.jpg

The lens pulls away from the socket.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/8d6e5816.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/0d6c2af0.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder/8ba24675.jpg

Reverse process for re-assembly.

spyder-dude
05-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Great instructions! :)

sabunim5
05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
can't put red on the front. :cop:

Oxblood
05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
He did not ask about putting red on the front. He asked about the amber on red, as in what does the amber look like on the red Spyder.

pphantom538
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Thank you for the clarification. You said what I meant to say.

Spyder (FIN)
05-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Can you post a pic of how the new lights look like? I have a yellow spyder and may consider doing what you did depending on the looks.

Here's a couple of (bad quality) pictures. I found the bulbs from local Biltema (part no 35-15328 for € 1,49 / pair).

http://koti.mbnet.fi/gollum/Misc/before.jpg http://koti.mbnet.fi/gollum/Misc/after.jpg

SPYMAN
05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Finally got mine installed I like the amber look much better!!!!!!!!!!

SPYMAN

Danimal
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Who has a red spyder? Didn't think they were shipping yet.

Did the amber lights on my silver.... they look much better. Would be even nicer if we could get an amber lens.

Easy install.. and cheap!.

Good instructions BJ.... but it looks like some of them are done with the fender off??

bjt
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Good instructions BJ.... but it looks like some of them are done with the fender off??

Yea, I thought I put the disclaimer in there that I was shooting the pictures as we were taking dltang's Spyder apart to get it painted. We would not have to remove the fenders to change the lights.

Danimal
05-28-2008, 12:05 AM
DOh!

Now why didn't I think of that.

I really like the way they look.

Napalmseth
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Just did my lights last night. So easy. Took me about two minutes in the parking lot of AdvanceAuto Parts. Looks great. Thanks for the part number and instructions. :bigthumbsup: :spyder: :bigthumbsup:

Lamonster
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
What would be cool is if you could make those turn signal lights too. :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :spyder:

Napalmseth
05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
ooooooh.....now that sounds like something to work on. Too bad I have no idea how to go about doing something like this. :joke:

Danimal
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Must be reading my mind...... I was looking at the wiring and that would be a pretty easy change to make. I emailed Ken about it last week to see what he thought but have not heard back yet.

I'm sure a unit similar to his backlight kit would do it.... but it could also be done without that kit.

Something I think that would look nice... and functional..

Lamonster
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Must be reading my mind...... I was looking at the wiring and that would be a pretty easy change to make. I emailed Ken about it last week to see what he thought but have not heard back yet.

I'm sure a unit similar to his backlight kit would do it.... but it could also be done without that kit.

Something I think that would look nice... and functional..

Magic Man has done it already and I should have a kit to try this week. It needs a isolater just like the rear kit he sells.

Danimal
05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
" It needs a isolater just like the rear kit he sells."

Right.... or like the one Ken sells for the brakelight kit.

Could probably tie into the breaklight kit and do it.... I think the running lights and brake lights are on the same fuse anyway.

I emailed Ken as to if he wanted to use his brakelight kit to do this....

Magic Man
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
" It needs a isolater just like the rear kit he sells."

Right.... or like the one Ken sells for the brakelight kit.

Could probably tie into the breaklight kit and do it.... I think the running lights and brake lights are on the same fuse anyway.

I emailed Ken as to if he wanted to use his brakelight kit to do this....

If only it were that easy. Unfortunatly that is not even close to how this is done.

Danimal
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Well... in the old days we would just do it this way:

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5671&view=findpost&p=48501

This basic principle could work.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post photos on this site... so that is a link to CAT.

Lamonster
05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Well... in the old days we would just do it this way:

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5671&view=findpost&p=48501

This basic principle could work.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post photos on this site... so that is a link to CAT.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=9.0

Danimal
05-28-2008, 06:46 PM
For those last ones I did this:

Found my photos using Explorer (again - NOT Internet Explorer).

Right click and tell it to 'Open With' and then select Internet Explorer.

The photo will then open up in an IE Browser window.

Then you can right click on it, select properties, and get a URL to copy and paste.

Still didn't work.....

I'm not sure why anyone would use IE to browse files on their local computer..... doesn't make sense.

So what gives?

Obviously someone has posted photos at some point?

Here is one from another website:

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-1068-1212015285.jpg

and

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-1068-1212015305.jpg

Danimal
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Well... those photos posted.....

So you can only post photos from an actual website ????

Sorry man... but that is gonna be a royal PITA......

Gotta be a better way...

Magic Man
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Only problem with the "after" photo, no ground path for the small bulb!!!

A circuit can't have 2 live wire inputs with no path to ground! Not only will this not work for a directional set up,
but without a ground the small bulb won't even light. The 194 series of bulbs like this only have 2 contacts, one for input and one for ground. So you can't have 2 inputs and no ground.

There is No Magic here in how any of this works, nor is it open to change. That's why when it comes to electricity the principles that govern how it works is called Ohm's Law not Ohm's suggestions.

bjt
05-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Well... those photos posted.....

So you can only post photos from an actual website ????

Sorry man... but that is gonna be a royal PITA......

Gotta be a better way...

Best way I've found to post pictures to any forum is to use a photo host site like PhotoBucket. You load pictures from your computer to PhotoBucket then use PhotoBucket to link your pictures to forums. I'm not sure but does CanAmTalk host the pictures that you upload? That would be the only way to load pictures from your computer directly to your post.

Danimal
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Well Magic man.... sorry... but while this might not work for the stock spyder setup... it is a sound circuit that does work.

Instead of the sidemarkers being wired across parking lamp feed and ground, they're wired across parking lamp feed and turn signal feed.

The side marker bulb socket is isolated from ground, and one bulb lead goes to the running lamp positive circuit. The other lead is tied into the turn signal positive lead.

When the parking lights are on and the turn signal off, it grounds through the turn signal filament and illuminates the marker lamp. When the turn signal flashes, it interrupts the ground and the marker will flash. When the running lights are off, the process is reversed, with the ground being through the filaments of the running light circuit, and the marker will flash in sync with the turn signal instead of alternately.

The problem with the Stock Spyder is that it doesn't have a running light that also flashes... so you do need to add a unit to do that. I have the backlight kit from Ken @ evoluzione.net which does this--- it converts the tail light so it not only is a running light.... it also flashes when the blinker is turned on.

Danimal
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I would gladly buy a kit to do this...... if they are reasonable in price.....

When will you have them available on your site for ordering?

McGone
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I installed amber 194NA lamps on my silver Spyder. I like the look and the original white light was in my field of vision so at night it looked like a headlight behind me reflecting in the side mirror. Now I know if the source is a fender running light or in my mirror. :doorag:

Calif-spyder
09-26-2008, 02:36 AM
I know this is an old thread but I would like to see some smoked fender lights,

Look at the roof markers and the side clearance markers on the rear fenders on my truck,
they are smoked from a company called racon
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/markhelmandollar/2004Denali.jpg

4leafpat
09-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Damn, and I just removed my second fender! :-)

johnandginger
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
how do you like your cal-sci windshield?

4leafpat
09-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I like it, I am 6' w/33 inseam and got the large. Just the right height to look over but not get hit with the wind..

Zerocool
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Ride safe
Ev

I just bought a set from Advanced Auto and popped them in.

Looks = 100% better on the millennium yellow :yes:

Brightness = Not as piercing as the white bulbs

Since my :spyder: has the Xenon Headlights and Fog Light upgrade, the fender tips being as visible isn't as much a concern to me as the looks :2thumbs:

effgjamis
09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Marcels Evolution III windshield (Doesn't Work!),

please explain as to Doesn't Work??

Thank you

bjt
09-28-2008, 06:15 AM
please explain as to Doesn't Work??

Thank you

I'm sure he can give a specific reason why it doesn't work for him but windshields are a very personal thing. Some windshields get rave reviews from one rider while another rider absolutely hates it. It depends on what you are used to and what performance you are looking for in a windshield.

Examples:
I had ridden on my wife's Spyder with an F1 windshield and an EVO III and neither one worked for me. She liked her F1 and just loves her EVO III. I will say that the EVO III is much better for my needs (mainly wind noise reduction) than the F1 was.

I had Marcel's new (original size) slide screen and I did not like it. The slider windshield would not raise high enough to do what I want a taller windshield to do, give me wind noise reduction at 55 MPH and faster. That same windshield was put on SpyderRyder810's Spyder and she said it worked great for her.

I have an EVO II windshield that gave great wind protection and wind noise reduction but I don't like the looks. I have a new taller version of the slider and I like the looks and it gives me good performance.

KenAcker
11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
After a couple of weeks with the amber bulbs I think I prefer the white (clear). They better match the headlights when viewed head-on and look less pumpkin'ish (amber lights on yellow fenders). Switching back to original bulbs. Nice to have options like this however ... especially at less than $1.50 per fender ... and the change-out couldn't be any simpler thanks to the specific instructions posted hereon by you wonderful folks.

Ken

Arachnid
11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I am going to replace my lights with yellow tomorrow.
I think I read some where that the white lights sometimes confuse people driving at night when the see it coming up behind them.:yikes:
Mike

mc2276
11-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I installed amber 194NA lamps on my silver Spyder. I like the look and the original white light was in my field of vision so at night it looked like a headlight behind me reflecting in the side mirror. Now I know if the source is a fender running light or in my mirror. :doorag:
I installed the amber lights on my silver Spyder. I really like this look and agree with McGone. Now it doesn't look like there is someone behind me. It was getting annoying.

LDFIREWORKS
11-16-2008, 12:54 AM
THANKS FOR THE INFO MM WILL MAKE THE CHANGE IN THE AM JUST FINISHED PUTTING WIDOW PEGS ON THEY LOOK BAD ASS, IF ANY BODY IS GOING TO PUT THEM ON YOU NEED TO ALTER THE SPRING SOMEWHAT IN THE AM GOING TO JP CYCLES HERE IN FLA TO GET MY ISO GRIPS AND SHIFT ANDBRAKE PEDAL COVERS, HAVE BLK SPOKE WHEELS FROM CAN-AM, SPORT WINDSHEILD, 4IN RISERS FROM THE M.M. [WORKED GREAT, LOOKS GREAT,FEELS GREAT] SOLO SEAT COVER LOOKS COOL, :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::b2b::yes::yes::yes::ye s::yes::yes::yes:

Arachnid
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Had trouble finding the 2827 bulb here in Minn. Endded up with aGE194NA its 5 watts and looks great.
Yep, that's what I ended up with too.
Seems to work just fine.
Mike

trldncr
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=9.0
I cleaned up the look by drilling a 3/8 hole at the bottom of the front fender supports, at the top of the triangle shape and ran the wires through the support up under the fender to the running lights

Silverwolf
04-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Ok, I have a stupid question. What color can you not use? I know red is out, any other colors? :helpsmilie:

patches
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Depends on the state you live in really, some have laws about the color of running lights you can have and then some have laws about if they can blink or not depending on that color.

Questions
04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
The stock fender tip lights are white. You may also run amber. It is my understanding that these are the only two colors that are legal in all fifty states to run as FRONT marker lights or turn signals. Most people prefer amber for turn-signals.

In the REAR you may only have red for running lights, but either red or amber are okay for turn signals.

Silverwolf
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
The stock fender tip lights are white. You may also run amber. It is my understanding that these are the only two colors that are legal in all fifty states to run as FRONT marker lights or turn signals. Most people prefer amber for turn-signals.

In the REAR you may only have red for running lights, but either red or amber are okay for turn signals.

Kool, I was thinking about putting blue to match the paint, but I will stick with Amber. Thanks. :)

jvicker
05-22-2009, 04:28 PM
My first mod!!:2excited: Just installed new fender tip lights. Wow what a difference. Stock on the left, led on the right. Check out the link for install help from bjt. Thanks bjt!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33546&postcount=22

Spyder#353
05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
When I seen this post last night. Thought it was great Because, I wanted to do something with those lights but didn't know what. Went to autozone and found green, blue, amber and red bulbs. I've got the green ones in now. I have blue and amber waiting for my mood to change. :2thumbs:

dltang
05-27-2009, 10:38 PM
When I seen this post last night. Thought it was great Because, I wanted to do something with those lights but didn't know what. Went to autozone and found green, blue, amber and red bulbs. I've got the green ones in now. I have blue and amber waiting for my mood to change. :2thumbs:

Beware, in most states there are very specific laws as to what color can be on the front of your vehicle. In MI it is only white or amber. I think FL is very strict about that as well. You may want to check it out before you change your mood and get a ticket.

Spyder#353
05-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Beware, in most states there are very specific laws as to what color can be on the front of your vehicle. In MI it is only white or amber. I think FL is very strict about that as well. You may want to check it out before you change your mood and get a ticket.
Ya know thats probably true in most states. Here in south Fl. you should see some of the crazy lighting systems on the bikes. Some look like Los Vages on wheels. So until they laws enforcement band it and starts giving out tickets. I'll run the green and amber, once in awhile I'll do the boat thing. With one red and one green. Witch means. Red right returns. Green is a real eye catcher. The Harley plate light changes the look in the back also. It has a little more style now.:cheers:

Magic Man
05-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Ya know thats probably true in most states. Here in south Fl. you should see some of the crazy lighting systems on the bikes. Some look like Los Vages on wheels. So until they laws enforcement band it and starts giving out tickets. I'll run the green and amber, once in awhile I'll do the boat thing. With one red and one green. Witch means. Red right returns. Green is a real eye catcher. The Harley plate light changes the look in the back also. It has a little more style now.:cheers:

Let us know how running a red front facing light works out for you. :yikes:

MM

dltang
05-28-2009, 07:23 AM

If they are gonna let you do it, then have fun. You live there so you would know how strict local enforcement is. :thumbup:

aka1004
05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
i like these.