PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Squeeking?

MetroAsian
12-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Has anyone noticed your brakes squeeking at all when applying the brakes? Is this normal for the break in period or do I have an issue that needs to be fixed? I only have 19 miles on the thing so far.

BlackWidow
12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Has anyone noticed your brakes squeeking at all when applying the brakes? Is this normal for the break in period or do I have an issue that needs to be fixed? I only have 19 miles on the thing so far.

The manual states that the first 186 miles or so is the break-in period for the brakes. There will be some noises and hard braking should be avoided during that time. Also brake capacity will be diminished during break-in. So be careful.

smokster
12-22-2007, 03:22 PM
The manual states that the first 186 miles or so is the break-in period for the brakes. There will be some noises and hard braking should be avoided during that time. Also brake capacity will be diminished during break-in. So be careful.

186 miles...?.....400 miles and they are still squeeking

Way2Fast
12-22-2007, 07:17 PM
The dealer is supposed to remove the protective coating on the rotors during PDI. The coating is applied at the factory to prevent rust on the rotors in shipment prior to use . If the coating is not removed brake problems will result...squeaking, premature wear, etc. How many dealers do the proper PDI is unknown....mine sure didn't !!

Richard

smokster
12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
The dealer is supposed to remove the protective coating on the rotors during PDI. The coating is applied at the factory to prevent rust on the rotors in shipment prior to use . If the coating is not removed brake problems will result...squeaking, premature wear, etc. How many dealers do the proper PDI is unknown....mine sure didn't !!

Richard

Interesting..., how do I remove

MetroAsian
12-23-2007, 12:12 AM
I could see that happening from my dealer. They didn't even give me a full tank of gas. What kinda bull**** is that. If i didn't realize the empty light was blinking I probably wouldn't have even made it home.

I'm also curious on how to know if the protective coating on the rotors was taken off or if I need to bring my spyder back to have them take it off for me me.

MetroAsian
12-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the tip! I'll be trying it first thing tommorow morning.

Way2Fast
12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
i can pretty much guarantee that if you have used your brakes, the coating has been removed. squeaking brakes are actually a high pitched vibration from the pads not having a perfect match to the rotor surface. the way we usually seat the pads on sportbikes is to find an area where you can do multiple hard stops from 60mph-5mph (don't completely stop). after about a half dozen stops in a row, continue riding for another 5-10 minutes to allow the pads to cool down (do not come to a complete stop during this time or you may warp a rotor). now your brakes should be bedded in with no noise.

regards,

ken zeller

In every vehicle owners maual I have read there has been a warning not to use excessive pedal pressure until the brakes have some mileage on them. Doing these high speed quick "slow downs" sounds like a sure way to glaze the disc brake pads and warp the rotors. Glazed pads will cause brake squeaking and warped rotors will cause wheel shimmy...both greatly decreasing brake performance. Each to his own, but this is NOT a break in method that is recommended by the manufacturer or many mechanics ! The brakes have to take a set before maximum stopping is asked of them. Those Spyder owners who have brakes that squeak probably did not have the clear protective coating removed from the rotors by the dealer (with a proper solvent)....and it wore off with brake useage.

Richard