PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes and Wind Deflectors

SpyderRx
09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I have been getting a lot of exhaust fumes while riding my RS lately. I have the 23" windshield and side wind deflectors (BRP). Exhaust fumes get on my clothes and remain throught the day. I read some previous post on here and initially thought my problem was going to be Y gaskets, although I only have 2,000 miles. I ran across a post that talked about backdraft created by the wind deflectors so I decided to take them off last night and try it today before I replaced the gaskets. No exhaust fumes at all today. I am glad to have found the problem, but, I love the wind deflectors. It was a huge difference with the amount of wind hitting me. I read one post were a guy had lengthen his Exaust out 3 inches toward the back which he said solved the problem. Has any one else done this. So my question is does anyone else have a solution for this problem or am I stuck with a decision if I want wind beating on me or stinking clothes all day long. Any input would be appreciated.

Schnauzer
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
"Extynze" :roflblack:. feed your pipe. just a few inches makes all the difference in the world..."Could not help myself!!!!

Actually getting the exhaust back a bit further will resolve your problem. You should be able to get the muffler shop to fab a chrome extension with a turnout.

pro10is
09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes, it's a known issue that the wind deflectors are so effective that they probably create a partial vacuum which draws the exhaust fumes. I also heard that an exhaust extension resolves the problem but have not seen any details.

There are many exhaust extensions available, we just have to find one that fits.

CyncySpyder
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM
At last years SpyderFest, Teddy had Harvey from SpyderPops install his Block-Off Plate "LeBlock" and also the Cat Shields as well. This system works well on Teds Red Sled, which is a 2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S. I'm curious if installing the Cat Shields on an RS/GS would help any with this issue:dontknow: Anyone out there have any experience to share:hun: Oh Harvey ....................;)

NancysToy
09-11-2012, 11:42 AM
At last years SpyderFest, Teddy had Harvey from SpyderPops install his Block-Off Plate "LeBlock" and also the Cat Shields as well. This system works well on Teds Red Sled, which is a 2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S. I'm curious if installing the Cat Shields on an RS/GS would help any with this issue:dontknow: Anyone out there have any experience to share:hun: Oh Harvey ....................;)
Cat Shields won't work on the GS/RS. The cat is in the muffler.

JJW SpyderRider
09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I have been getting a lot of exhaust fumes while riding my RS lately. I have the 23" windshield and side wind deflectors (BRP). Exhaust fumes get on my clothes and remain throught the day. I read some previous post on here and initially thought my problem was going to be Y gaskets, although I only have 2,000 miles. I ran across a post that talked about backdraft created by the wind deflectors so I decided to take them off last night and try it today before I replaced the gaskets. No exhaust fumes at all today. I am glad to have found the problem, but, I love the wind deflectors. It was a huge difference with the amount of wind hitting me. I read one post were a guy had lengthen his Exaust out 3 inches toward the back which he said solved the problem. Has any one else done this. So my question is does anyone else have a solution for this problem or am I stuck with a decision if I want wind beating on me or stinking clothes all day long. Any input would be appreciated.

I had the same experiance with the deflectors. Some don't seem to get the exhaust but my dealer asked if I did before I even tried them. It's a common problem.

SpyderRx
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Will probably take it to the muffler shop Thursday and see if they can weld in a piece under the heat shield to extend it out about 3 or 4 inches

eagle
09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
i had the same problem last year, but NO MORE. i installed a MADSTAD adjustable windshield mount and put my BRP 25inch touring windshield onto it. NO MORE FUMES or any thing like that. the new mount lets air flow behind the windshield also to stop the dead air space from sucking in fumes. IT WORKS.

SpyderRx
09-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Any new ideas? In looking at extending the muffler back about 3 inches today, realized that if I did that the heat shield would not work any longer. Don't want to lose my heat shield. Any other ideas or solutions to solve the problem?