PDA

View Full Version : RS Handling problem

shorty_ca
09-09-2012, 02:14 PM
First time Spyder owner and I just picked up an 08 RS, been out driving it around getting use to the handling. I noticed when going around corners its handles fine but long sweeping turns it gets a little touchy, when into the turn if I let off on the throttle just a little it wants to head for the side of the road, little more throttle it wants to dive into the turn. I was wondering if the suspension is setup wrong or there may be an alignment problem with the front end. I also noticed that the outside tread on one front tire is wearing even though tire pressures are within specs.

Maybe this is how they handle, don't know, haven't had another Spyder to compare against but it sure seems touchy especially going through the twisties.

Does anyone know what the front alignment specs are? Toe-in? Caster/Camber? I would like to check this if possible.

NancysToy
09-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Caster and camber are not adjustable. Toe-in is, but if both tires aren't wearing unevenly, or the Spyder does not tend to follow the bumps and dart about, I wouldn't look at the toe-in first. The toe-in procedure is a bit different, so I'd suggest getting a shop manual before attempting to check it, or have an experienced dealer do it.

First thing I would check is the tire air pressure. 20 front/28-30 rear seems to work well on the GS/RS. Second, with the left tire wear, I would look for loose or worn shock bushings, tie-rod ends, or ball joints. Any play in these components is unacceptable. Beyond that, I'd check with a dealer to see that the DPS replacement recall had been performed. Having the steering sensor calibration checked is not a bad idea, either.

The Spyder is light and quick steering. Letting off the throttle in a turn has consequences, just as with any car or bike. It is better to brake going in and smoothly accelerate out. Try to take it easy with either letting off or sudden acceleration in any turn. Smooth and gradual does it better. The best technique you can develop is to lean your body into the turn. Think of it as trying to kiss the knuckle on your inside hand.

shorty_ca
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Letting off the throttle in a turn has consequences, just as with any car or bike.

Thanks for the reply! I will check with the dealer on the recall as mentioned. Also, when I mean letting off or adding throttle, I mean just a very little bit either way and this bike is darting right or left respectively while in a long sweeping turn, just doesn't feel right to me. Having driven many of bikes and quads etc. never have seen this type of problem before.

DrewNJ
09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Also, check where your front shocks are set. A friend had a new RS and the dealer had the front shocks set at the first setting and it felt really strange in the turns and on slightly uneven roads.

NancysToy
09-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will check with the dealer on the recall as mentioned. Also, when I mean letting off or adding throttle, I mean just a very little bit either way and this bike is darting right or left respectively while in a long sweeping turn, just doesn't feel right to me. Having driven many of bikes and quads etc. never have seen this type of problem before.
Check rear wheel bearings and hub bearing seat condition. Also check swingarm bushings for looseness. If your belt seems to wander, rear bearing issues are all the more indicated.

Bob Denman
09-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Think of it this way; the long sweepers give you lots of time to think about what's going on and it gets easy to start adding input to the bars without fully realizing it. :shocked: (I still do it myself! :opps:)
relax; pick your line, and let the bike follow it... then relax some more! :thumbup:

boborgera
10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Double check with your dealer to make sure the DPS was replaced, All 08 DPS's were replaced on a recall.
Maybe they missed yours.:dontknow:

bobnaquin
10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Make Certain your DPS has been fixed. But if it was misbehaving you would certainly know it as it will scare the h out of you. You don't want to ride without this being fixed although thousands did for many miles and never had a problem.

The most drastic improvement I have noticed is going from 3 to 4 on the front stock shocks. Remarkable handling difference. I am sure you could put a 1000 dollars of aftermarket shocks and sway bars on and get a noticeable difference also.

NoJive
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Also, check your battery terminals. If they are not tight, the DPS will act up. I know from experience!! The DPS pulls the most voltage, and if the terminals are even a little bit loose, it will cut out.