PDA

View Full Version : Radiator heat wave

BigJohnZ
09-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Which product is the most effective in deflecting the heat coming off the Spyder's radiator?

I do a lot of in town riding and on hot days, the legs get scorched. Anu suggestions?

SpyRyd
09-08-2012, 04:04 PM
SPYDERPOPS...board sponsor...click on the SPYDERPOPS banner on the home page.

CWilber
09-09-2012, 09:03 AM
If it's your shins rather than your feet like my problem was, I bought soccer shin guards and they work beautifully. I didn't want to wrap the pipe as I will want the warmth in the winter.

Dudley
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
A pair of jeans and good boots, at least 10 inches high.

flybuddy
09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
This has been an issue for me. As soon as Spyderpops came out with a LOWER block off plate I added that along with the catalytic converter shield and made the right side heat more tolerable. If you take IR temps on the right side (even with above), you'll still see about 30 degrees hotter on the floorboard and side panel over the left side. Taking it to a further extreme. I plugged both upper and lower radiator outlets. I punched a 3" hole in the lower and added a downpipe to vent the hot air away. I also added a 4 inch circular hole in the floor panel instead of removing it. That hole is directly behind the downward bend so it will have some negative pressure and exit warm air more efficiently. IMO, removing that lower panel can push the warm air upward. I also have some holes in the swoosh and added some heat shielding to the bottom of the floorboard. Spyder runs cooler than originally did.
I added a deflector plate to my right footrest to increase airflow over my right foot and a piece of plexi to the bottom of my Baker Air Wings for my lower leg.
All of that said, I did NOT ever experience excessive hot leg or foot while wearing jeans and boots. Unfortunately, I live in SW FL and I like to do my local riding in shorts and sneakers.

CWilber
09-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Boots won't help the shin burns unless they are up to the knee!