PDA

View Full Version : Highway pegs for RS

SpyderSue
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm looking for highway pegs, not running boards for my RS. I've searched the forum to no avail.
Who makes the pegs and hardward to install them forward on the RS? I'd like to no have to cut holes in my tupperware, but recognize that may not be possible. I saw Lamont's setup for the RT, but another poster asked if it would work on an RS, and was told "no".
After my 1000 mile weekend, I'm fairly convinced the pegs would relieve hip and knee pain.

Thanks! Sue

Motorcycledave
09-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm looking for highway pegs, not running boards for my RS. I've searched the forum to no avail.
Who makes the pegs and hardward to install them forward on the RS? I'd like to no have to cut holes in my tupperware, but recognize that may not be possible. I saw Lamont's setup for the RT, but another poster asked if it would work on an RS, and was told "no".
After my 1000 mile weekend, I'm fairly convinced the pegs would relieve hip and knee pain.

Thanks! Sue
Hi Sue
If you find anything let me know.... all I have found are running boards as well
Thanks Dave

danlnc
09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I found these with a quick search, I did not investigate it thoroughly.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/lightning-performance-highway-peg-kit-polished-can-am-spyder-rs-models-08-and-newer/part/LP-08180A

http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_footpegs_grips_accessories.htm

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=732

Texmac1011
09-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I used these for 2 years before my wife took possession of her spyder. At 6'-2" with a 34" inseam, I found them more comfortable after I used some 1/4" flat bar to extend the pegs a couple inches further. They were still comfortable for me without it. My wife finds them comfortable also, and she is 5'-4".

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=107

Blue Star
09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I found these with a quick search, I did not investigate it thoroughly.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/lightning-performance-highway-peg-kit-polished-can-am-spyder-rs-models-08-and-newer/part/LP-08180A

http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_footpegs_grips_accessories.htm

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=732

I have the Custom Dynamic set with the 4 inch brackets. The only cutting you will need to do is drill a hole on the bottom of the brace that holds the bottom cover, a small cut of the bottom cover where the bolts go, but you will not see it once installed. I removed these covers for more air flow, so did not matter anyway. Very nice set-up once you find the right spot, but the only draw back is you cannot put your full weight on them.52849 This pic shows the highway peg installed, and other shows the cover that has to have a bolt hole made (I removed them).

rider2554
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks! Sue
I made a set for my RS. Not hard to do, didn't even have to take a panel off to install. I mounted mine to the frame using a 34 inch piece of one inch hollow steel bar. Enclosed are what mine look like. Maybe have about $20 and about 3 hrs of work. If you want more detail, let me know.

YPILOT
09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Check out ISCI one of our site vendors. They make top quality products and have superb customer service.

This is what I use and they are very strong.:thumbup:

http://www.isciride.com/iscirsmanualparts.htm#highwaypeg

BioSab
10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I have Kewlmetal with ISO Wings on my 09 GS... They are awesome I rode from Miami, Fl. to Gatlinburg, TN and i have a rebuilt ACL in my left knee no issue... Hope this helps.

Godd Luck

pro10is
10-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Now that the ST has been released and Lamont is thinking of getting one, maybe down the road he'll design a great set of highway pegs for it that may also work on the RS. That would certainly be awesome.

Paula(Butch2025)
10-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Big Arm designed his own they are pretty nice. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in about them or you could PM him.

Barbarossa
11-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Hello!

I'm also looking for highway pegs.

Does anybody has installed this stuff? ==> Lightning Performance Highway Peg Kit (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/lightning-performance-highway-peg-kit-polished-can-am-spyder-rs-models-08-and-newer/part/LP-08180A)

Regards from Germany,
Alex

Blondespyder
11-18-2012, 07:20 AM
I have highway pegs on my RS.
But, I got them for a song from the dealer in my town when he quit selling spyders. They were so easy to put on and I love having them. Makes it nice to move out my long legs on longer rides.

As for that brand. I am not sure how they are or anything else. Sorry

mick ruhdorf
11-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi i have installed highway pegs from Kewlmetal item no KD-245 I have found them to be very good .
cheers mick:doorag:

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Now that everybody is getting all warm and fuzzy over highway pegs... take a look at the thread on brake levers and be reminded that your right foot is now going to be nowhere near where it needs to be when the :cus: hits the fan. :shocked:

Just sayin'...

Barbarossa
11-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Hello,

I already considered the highway pegs from Kewlmetal since they look really strong but I'm afraid that they won't fit for me. I'm 6' 4" tall - 34" inseam.

I alternated between two options: The footrest brackets from ESI and the highway pegs from ISCI.

Now I found the parts from Lightning Performance - look quite strong too (similar to the ISCI parts) but I've not seen any of these mounted on a "real" Spyder GS/RS.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions! Pictures are very welcomed too ;-)

Regards,
Alex

BioSab
11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I've had Kewlmetal highway brackets and Kury ISO Wings on mine for a couple if years. Love them!

coz
11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Now that everybody is getting all warm and fuzzy over highway pegs... take a look at the thread on brake levers and be reminded that your right foot is now going to be nowhere near where it needs to be when the :cus: hits the fan. :shocked:

Just sayin'... That's what makes highway pegs so exciting!:roflblack::roflblack::thumbup:

napper39
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
befor you serch and cant find what you need look at the front page the venders are there and have many kinds of hy, pegs,and they suport are board.i bought everthing i have from them,theres ever thing you need spyder.:chat::2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 12:52 PM
That's what makes highway pegs so exciting!:roflblack::roflblack::thumbup:

The only excitement that I need anymore, is wondering if I'm going to make it to the can on time! :shocked: :roflblack:

We'll need somebody to actually work up some forward controls for those alternate pegs! :thumbup:

wyliec
11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I've had Kewlmetal highway brackets and Kury ISO Wings on mine for a couple if years. Love them!

I have the same set up and it works out fine, once you get used to them. However, I only use them on the highway, which (of course) is why they are called highway brackets. I only mention that b/c others have mentioned your foot is not near the brake (or the shifter for SM5's). On the highway, I don't use them if I feel I'm being boxed in. JMO

mick ruhdorf
11-18-2012, 11:16 PM
well theyre for the highway not around town ,i have noticed that i can use the brake from them with my heel if the need arises on the highway.
just sayin
cheers mick :doorag:

asp125
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Are there any highway pegs that do not stick out so far? I have a 32" inseam and the most comfortable for me is to rest my feet on the black plastic flared part. Any further forward or wider apart, and it hyper extends my hips and knees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

SpyderRx
11-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Are there any highway pegs that do not stick out so far? I have a 32" inseam and the most comfortable for me is to rest many feet on the black plastic flared part. Any further forward or wider apart, and it hyper extends my hips and knees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

it looks like the rivco highway pegs may be what you are looking for. I'm going to purchase a set myself very soon.

Barbarossa
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Hello,

today I got the information from two different distributors, that the production of the highway pegs from Lightning Performance has been discontinued.

Now I will go for the highway pegs from ISCI - the ESI footrest does not really look very stable.

I found only telephone numbers on www.isciride.com. Does anybody know, if they have an eMail address, too?

Regards,
Alex

Trickie Dick
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Hello,

today I got the information from two different distributors, that the production of the highway pegs from Lightning Performance has been discontinued.

Now I will go for the highway pegs from ISCI - the ESI footrest does not really look very stable.

I found only telephone numbers on www.isciride.com (http://www.isciride.com). Does anybody know, if they have an eMail address, too?

Regards,
Alex

Go with what you want but I have had the ESI hiway pegs for 3 years and they have done just fine. BTW, I weight 270 lbs.
I will say, if you are short or of average height, the ESI pegs are probably going to be too far forward for you.

Neez
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
well theyre for the highway not around town ,i have noticed that i can use the brake from them with my heel if the need arises on the highway.
just sayin
cheers mick :doorag:

Yup.

Barbarossa
11-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Go with what you want but I have had the ESI hiway pegs for 3 years and they have done just fine. BTW, I weight 270 lbs.
I will say, if you are short or of average height, the ESI pegs are probably going to be too far forward for you.

Since I am 6' 4" with 34" inseam I need a footrest position quite far away from the original position. That means, that the KewalMetal and Rivco highway peg mounts are out of the race - too close to the standard footrest!

I think the mounting position of the ESI footrest would be a perfect fit for me, but I not quite sure about the rigidity ...

My main problem here in Germany is, that I am not able to take the parts in hand to decide which way to go. I have to make my decision by looking at pictures in the Internet and by reading user reports. Therefore, I really appreciate all your comments.

Regards,
Alex

Trickie Dick
11-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Since I am 6' 4" with 34" inseam I need a footrest position quite far away from the original position. That means, that the KewalMetal and Rivco highway peg mounts are out of the race - too close to the standard footrest!

I think the mounting position of the ESI footrest would be a perfect fit for me, but I not quite sure about the rigidity ...

My main problem here in Germany is, that I am not able to take the parts in hand to decide which way to go. I have to make my decision by looking at pictures in the Internet and by reading user reports. Therefore, I really appreciate all your comments.

Regards,
Alex

As I said, Alex, I like mine a lot. They are pretty far forward and they spread your legs out a bit. I got used to that and they became very comfortable for me. I'm 6'6" but a little shorter inseam than you. As I recall, 2" links are available to add more flexibility in the positioning. Remember, they are hiway pegs. You will be resting your feet on them, not to be used to mount or dismount. They are to far forward to be used for mounting anyway. I had no problem with the rigidity. The ISCI pegs are nice, as they should be. I don't know anything about the Lightning Performance. I've never seen those.

Barbarossa
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
@ Trickie Dick:

You have convinced me ;) I'm going to order the ESI foot rest brackets. I think, I will not need any kind of risers. I guess that configuration will be the most stable one?!

Could anybody confirm, that the Kuryakyn ISO-Wing Mini Boards (part number 7563 - gloss black) and the Short Magnum Peg Mounts (part number 7563 - gloss black) will fit to the ESI foot rest brackets?

Regards,
Alex

Trickie Dick
11-22-2012, 07:37 PM
@ Trickie Dick:

You have convinced me ;) I'm going to order the ESI foot rest brackets. I think, I will not need any kind of risers. I guess that configuration will be the most stable one?!

Could anybody confirm, that the Kuryakyn ISO-Wing Mini Boards (part number 7563 - gloss black) and the Short Magnum Peg Mounts (part number 7563 - gloss black) will fit to the ESI foot rest brackets?

Regards,
Alex

I hope they work for you as well as they worked for me. AS I said, it took me a few rides to get used to them. AS far as the Kuryakyn gear, I see no reason why they won't fit. I use the Rivco pegs on mine but that's just my choice.
Good luck and keep 'er between the ditches. :thumbup:

Barbarossa
11-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Hello,

now I have orderded the Kuryakyn ISO-Wing Mini Boards, the Short Magnum Peg Mounts and the ESI foot rest brackets.

I'm really curious about how it will work out ...

Regards,
Alex

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi Sue,

I went with KewlMetal mini boards that you can use as highway pegs. That's what I did. You might want to check them out. They are very stable, adjustable, and I love them, too, because I was able to customize the design for a minimal cost. No cutting involved. They are attached to the frame. I lost one of my pegs from the vibration coming from the Spyder. I was very lucky to have found it on the road. I used Loctite to make sure that would not happen again. So far no problem. Also, I believe they are a sponsor on this site as well as many other peg manufacturers. Hope you find the right ones for you.

Motorcycle Mama

Barbarossa
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello,

yesterday I have mounted the CustumDynamics Highway Footrest Brackets. ==> Link (http://www.spyderforum.de/forum/showthread.php?1910-Anbau-quot-Custom-Dynamics-Footrest-Brackets-quot-f%FCr-Spyder-GS-RS)

Since I have to fix some of the heat protection stuff on the inside of the plastic panels, I was not able to finish the job completely. I will test the footrests as soon as I have put everything together and post a feedback here.

Kind regards,
Alex

master1309
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
:clap:They look really good. Would you mind sharing the detail for them? I'm pretty handy I just need the dimensions and where/how they are installed. Thank you so much.
Master1309
I made a set for my RS. Not hard to do, didn't even have to take a panel off to install. I mounted mine to the frame using a 34 inch piece of one inch hollow steel bar. Enclosed are what mine look like. Maybe have about $20 and about 3 hrs of work. If you want more detail, let me know.

Spyder-Bob
01-03-2013, 01:38 AM
I looked at them all and went with Rivco and love them.

PI have a pic click the link below.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46045-Added-Rivco-Highway-Pegs-to-the-GS

smporter420
02-07-2013, 11:50 PM
These are CD brakets, no need to put allot of weight in these. 3in extensions. I love them.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Chupaca
02-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Agree that all the vendors attached to this site are a source, if you google them, Amazon has them as well as e-bay. I don't like them but they are out there..happy shopping :thumbup:

nicholas26
04-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Can u tell me what u maint it to under the bike

SPYD3R
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
SUZY,
make your own.... it will be fun, and once completed, you will be so proud of yourself, you'll want to scream.... trust me, I KNOW....
i scream alot.....

here are the ones i made for my RS....
86607 86609 86610 86613

i purchased a set of 'rear' pegs from my local SPYD3R dealer, then fabricated the mounting bar... i welded 2 pieces of angle iron to the frame, and bolted the mounting bar with thru bolts as seen in pix 3 & 4... then i assembled the 'pegs' to the bar, and off i rode into the wild blue younder..... with the OEM pegs, my 'foot boards' and 'pegs' i have 3 positions for my feet, and believe me, at 66, i need to move around or i cramp up and it hurts.... JUST DO IT girl....

jimcrom
04-20-2014, 11:34 PM
I have used the custom dynamics and then switched to the seal floor boards. They were not very hard to install (please note that I DO NOT do mechanics so I had a friend install them.)

The biggest problem was the sensation that my foot would slip off the peg. One thing that I should have done was put a lip or some type of heel catch.

Thanks! Sue