PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Assembly Destruction

Groginator
09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Just finished a 4400 mile road trip taking my Spyder from NorCal to Iowa ;), at the end of the trip a high pitch squeel started in the rear end:(. Limped it into the dealer and they are saying the entire sprocket assembly as well as the belt has to be replaced due to road debris getting into the sprocket. Secondly they also informed me that BRP rejected the warrantee claim, even though the bike is about a year old and does not even have 6K on it yet. I am trying to understand the logic of the damage and the warrantee rejection. Can anyone shed some light on this? The entire trip was paved Hwy, guess I am just confused :mad:.

Grogninator

Jeriatric
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
EXCLUSIONS—ARE NOT WARRANTED

The following are not warranted under any circumstances:Normalwear and tear, such as,without limitation,wear and tear of the tires, battery,generator brushes, sealed beams and light bulbs, clutch plates and facings,
drive belt, brake pads, brake linings and rotors and sprockets.

Thought.....perhaps your insurance company will help with road hazard coverage. It's worth the call, if nothing else.

Groginator
09-06-2012, 07:25 PM
This was clearly not normal wear and tear given the age and milage of the machine. I also wonder how road debris could have gotten into a closed sprocket assembly, perhaps bad engineering again.

Thought if nothing else then the BEST extendend warrantee would have coverage. Once again I am reminded of why this may have been a bad choice for a three wheeler.

Jeriatric
09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Lovely, though I wonder how road debris could have gotten into a closed sprocket assembly. Thought if nothing else then the BEST extendend warrantee would have coverage. Once again I am reminded of why this may have been a bad choice for a three wheeler.

Get a written statement from the service manager that states what he feels caused the damage and see what your insurer says. Just have something in writing before you leave.

Sorry it happened.

revjvegas
09-06-2012, 08:31 PM
For what its worth...

Pretty much all belt-drive type bikes are susceptible to potential damage from road debris getting up between the belt and sprockets.

I too would check with the insurance coverage you have on the bike and see if it might be covered under the comprehensive. Doesn't hurt to check.

NancysToy
09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm confused. Since when are the sprockets on a Spyder closed assemblies? Both the belt and sprockets are exposed to some extent...and the do pick up road and belt debris.

Tonga
09-07-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm confused. Since when are the sprockets on a Spyder closed assemblies? Both the belt and sprockets are exposed to some extent...and the do pick up road and belt debris.
Scotty is right but with low mileage I would suspect the Spyder was not just on paved roads. We have all covered many miles on paved roads without incident. Belts are a low cost replacement for driveshaft driven bikes. Got to keep those profits high.

Bob Denman
09-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Well something must have gotten in there... :dontknow:
The insurance Company might not be willing to get involved in this unless you can point to a specific event that caused the damage. There has to be an "occurance" in there somewhere...

Groginator
09-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Scotty is right but with low mileage I would suspect the Spyder was not just on paved roads. We have all covered many miles on paved roads without incident. Belts are a low cost replacement for driveshaft driven bikes. Got to keep those profits high.

The Spyder has never been on unpaved roads, I know better. Got a response from BRP, ;) seems it may be a dealer issue since they never filed a claim.:mad:
Pretty sure I know exactly what happened and it is a newbie Spyder dealer. Will discuss it with them when I go and pick up my ride.