PDA

View Full Version : Checking air pressure

barb36jack31
12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Has anyone looked at the valve stem position on the rear wheel of the Spyder? It is nearly touching the rear belt pulley.I see no way that you could put a tire pressure gauge on the valve stem or an air chuck either. Take a look at your bike and let me know your thoughts, please.

Jack H.

providerex
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
it is very close at first look. I haven't put any air in but I have checked the pressure.
the gage that they give you is too bulky to even get close to the rear valve. I purchased a digital one from pep-boys for 5 bucks and it is very slim (1/8 inch flat x 3) and it has an angled tip so it fits in the spot perfect. so now i carry that with my tool pack.

barb36jack31
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Took a few minutes today to check the tire pressures. The pressure gauge that came with the bike worked just fine on the front wheels. It is absolutley worthless for the rear wheel. I had an angled pressure gauge that worked after some several tries. However, each time I tried to take the pressure, I would lose some air pressure so when I finally got a reading it was below the 30 lb required. Now what? I got an angled chuck and fired up the air compressor. After some fiddling around, I got it on the valve stem and put more air in. Then it was back to the air pressure check again. I finally got everything checked out and now I know for sure my tire pressure is correct. I seems to me that there is a design failure here. If the rear valve stem was placed on the other side of the rim, access would be much more available. I spoke with the service tech at the dealership about this and he said a straight pencil like pressure gauge, you could take the pressure OK. I tried this and it flat did not work. Anyway, I have now devised a method that will let me keep tabs on my tire pressure.

Forgive the long dissertation.

Jack H.

Way2Fast
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
With an angled hose fitting it is fairly easy to get air into the rear wheel tire valve...if you have one with a gauge on it you would know the pressure as you add air..no reason to keep on checking pressure with a gauge and possibly loosing air as you check it. Walmart sells a decent pressure hose mountable gauge.

Richard