PDA

View Full Version : Happy new owner's first post

FlaBound
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
The Mrs ( should I now call her my "old lady" ) just drove our 2012 RT limited home.
This is our first cycle. Never had a two wheeler, other than a mini bike as a kid. The can am was the only bike my wife was comfortable with.
This forum has been instrumental in educating me, as I have been lurking for months while deciding on when and how to "pull the trigger".
I did get the 3 year extended best warranty. All the bells and whistles scared me a little.
Still within the learning curve, but having a blast so far.
Oh, and so far, the wife likes it too. :pray:

Ivorspyder
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
:congrats:Good luck with your new Ryde.
ivor:spyder:

MouthPiece
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Congratulations and I hope that you will be JUST as happy with your spyder in your future posts. The glass is half full and getting fuller.

Chris

Sarge707
09-05-2012, 04:27 PM
:congrats: I like to think I drive a Hot little sports car with 3 wheels!!
Take your time getting used to it!!!

MarkLawson
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome to SpyderLovers! You're going to have a ton of fun with your new RT. Make sure you always ride safely to keep yourself and your 'sweet bride' (much better name than 'old lady') unharmed.

God bless!

SpyderMarkus
09-05-2012, 04:42 PM
:welcome:

Congrats... I'm assuming you got the White RT Limited. We purchased my wife's White RT Limited last April and got the exact same Spyder two weeks ago. We love 'em! When we ryde together, our favorite ryding style is in "CHiPs Formation" -- side-by-side in two lanes!! :ohyea: :ohyea:

Bob Denman
09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the Family! :yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea: :congrats:

Rar
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
:congrats: On your new Spyder. Wishing you and your wife many happy, safe miles

Re: "old lady"? :lecturef_smilie:

schnauzermom
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Could be another Spydee down the road for the family??!!:clap: I have an RT, my hubby a 2 wheeler, he is already making noise about maybe making the switch to another RT..exciting stuff:yes::yes::yes:

Netminder
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
:congrats:Enjoy the ride!

Brew crew
09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
:congrats:Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyder!!! My hubby and I purchased ours less than two months ago - better watch it your "old lady" just may take it over and leave you behind!! :roflblack: I have driven ours more than my husband has and I love it!!! He is now foreseeing a second one sometime in our future just so he gets to take it out himself!!

rhansen309
09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Welcome. We never rode anything either. The Spyder was the best way to go. We have had ours for just over a year and have almost 6000 miles. We are having so much fun and have met great people. This forum is a great place for information too.

:yes:

spydaman60
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
welcome to the pack!!! now the famous farkles begin!:thumbup: what's your first farkle going to be, new seat?, cb?,trailer?:yikes: start saving your pennies and let the fun begin!!nojoke

Illinois Boy
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new ride...

Click on the link below in my signature for the "Do's and Don'ts for Newbies". It just might save you some aggravation later...:thumbup:

FlaBound
09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
The Mrs ( NOT the old lady :banghead: ) and I thank you all, for the warm welcome. And excellent tips. Particularly the thread for newcomers, good stuff.
Feel like a kid who just got his license. Been buzzing all around. Went to the grocery store for a carton of orange juice ( I never do that )
Just starting to figure this beautiful machine out.
Time to put her ( and me ) to bed. Intend to sleep soundly, with visions of fall touring dancing around in my mind.:thumbup:

harrypottar
09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
:congrats::welcome:

harry

samewok
09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
:congrats::yes::b2b:

dick574
09-05-2012, 08:42 PM
:congrats: welcome to the "club". Now the mods begin. Ride safe.

Elembytes
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
:welcome:

Congrats... I'm assuming you got the White RT Limited. We purchased my wife's White RT Limited last April and got the exact same Spyder two weeks ago. We love 'em! When we ryde together, our favorite ryding style is in "CHiPs Formation" -- side-by-side in two lanes!! :ohyea: :ohyea:

I am curious how people afford to have not one but TWO Spyder RT's LTD? Plus other bikes. As an educator, who lives on acreage, has 3 vehicles currently, a boat etc, I worry about just trying to get one Spyder!

Questions
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Good luck. Ryde hard and often:rolleyes:

Big Arm
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I am curious how people afford to have not one but TWO Spyder RT's LTD? Plus other bikes. As an educator, who lives on acreage, has 3 vehicles currently, a boat etc, I worry about just trying to get one Spyder!

They sell books to educators....:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :joke:

spyderdips
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Congrats and welcome to the club.
Which dealer did you buy from?

d.o.spyder-rts
09-06-2012, 01:19 AM
:congrats: on yopur spyder purchase and :welcome: to the family. Dale

CyncySpyder
09-06-2012, 02:37 AM
May we suggest, if you already haven't seen this thread while 'lurking'
that you take a look and read thru this following Thread for New Owners
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

It has bunches of good information and is always changing and being improved as well.

Most importantly
:yes:ENJOY THE RYDE:yes:

:congrats:&:welcome:

GloryRyders
09-06-2012, 04:41 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder:...............let the "farkles" begin!

Grandpa Spyder
09-06-2012, 05:19 AM
:congrats:I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. If you have not done so yet. read the following. Dos & Don'ts

Do's & Dont's for New Spyder Owners: Updated July 7th, 2012
There are several "things" a Spyder owner needs to know when buying and operating their Spyder to help them have a better experience, and to avoid causing complications later.

READ THE MANUAL FRONT COVER TO THE BACK!!! The Spyder is fun and you are anxious to ride it; but do yourself a HUGE favor and read the manual entirely before doing so. You may be surprised at what you and your dealer do not know.
Learn as much as possible about your Spyder. You do not have to become a mechanic, but having knowledge will help you out in more ways than can be mentioned. Spyderlovers.com (http://Spyderlovers.com) is a good place to learn.
Buy only from a dealer that has a good reputation. Setting-up a new Spyder seems to be a huge problem if not done correctly. Your odds of having a miserable experience increases if you don't.
Do not "ride the brake", or even touch the brake when riding. Too many people seem to have this bad-habit, and the Spyder doesn't like it. The "system" will begin to give you trouble. So blame yourself if you ride your brake -- period. It will cause you problems.
Learn to shift and cruise at higher RPM's. Get over your fear of running the Spyder's Rotax engine at high RPM's.

Problems are likely to arise later if you do not.
For proof; the RTS SE5's "Trailer Mode" won't let you shift out of 1st gear until you hit 28 MPH!
The manual may confuse some. The RTS-SE5's manual on pages 71 and 76 mention 3,000 RPM's as the "magic-number" to shift; and not to exceed 4,000 RPM's. This is in reference to someone learning to ride the Spyder for the first time -- NOT the normal operating range.
Shifting at low RPM's will bog-down your engine and drivetrain causing undue stress and possible damage later-on. The engine will not run smooth or have as much torque (power) either.
Just because the Spyder has 5-gears does NOT mean you have to always use them!

Cruising around town -- you might never leave 3rd gear -- all day! It is OK to do that!
Shift suggestions for a RTS-SE5:

1st to 2nd: shift when your speed is no less than 22 MPH, and no more than 28 MPH
2nd to 3rd: shift when the RPM's are near or at 5,000 (I prefer around 5,100 range to shift.)
3rd to 4th and to 5th: again, shift only when the RPM's are at or near 5,000. (Again, I shift at around 5,100 RPM's.)

You do NOT need to roll-off the throttle when shifting with the SE5 system (read the manual).

When shifting at the above RPM points; you'll see that your transmission will slip into gear as "smooth as silk".

4th gear can be maintained at the 63 -- 65 MPH range all day if that is your cruising-speed. 4th gear at 63 MPH will have the RPM's in the low to mid 5,000 RPM range -- which is perfect. The Spyder will run quieter, smoother, and still have power at the throttle in that RPM range.
The dreaded "belt-vibration" is likely to disappear when you finally get used to the above suggestions.
Shifting to 5th gear should be only when you will be remaining constant above 65 MPH and on level terrain.
Downshift on inclines... both up or down; especially when in 5th gear.
Do not let your Spyder "lug" its way through uphill climbs. You are killing your Spyder when doing that. You should be treated so poorly for doing so! :rolleyes:
(Those who have ridden V-Twins motorcycles -- you guys are too used to your engine lugging along at 2,100 to 3,500 RPM's. That is a killer for the Spyder. The Rotax engine is NOT your old V-Twin. It works best at or above 5,000 RPM's; so get used to it, or pay the price later.)

​Remove the key from the ignition (and the spare from the trunk) and walk away at least 15 feet for several minutes to allow the computer to reset itself if you have minor "booting" problems when starting.
For those with the SE5; be sure to downshift when stopping -- especially fast stops, as the transmission may not downshift to 1st gear. You might then experience the dreaded "can't get it into first-gear syndrome".
Tire pressure makes a big difference in how the Spyder handles. Tire pressure depends on your load-weight, and type of riding, but there will be an optimal pressure. Check it often.
Check your battery cables, fuses, and such often. Anytime these get loose from vibration... the Spyder acts badly.
Pay attention to how your Spyder is running. If your Spyder is showing even the slightest sign of not running or operating right... check to be sure you are not guilty of doing, or not doing any of the above. If not, then get it checked-out as soon as possible or risk having problems later -- possibly while on a trip.
Get a battery tender and hook it up to your battery in between riding it. "Tenders" condition the battery which helps make a battery last longer and remain charged. (Short-rides do not always sufficiently charge your battery.)
Do not ride on gravel roads. Despite the fact you are on three-wheels... you are also "belt-driven". Rocks and belts don't mix. Just simply avoid doing it whenever possible, and then check your belt right after doing so if you have to.
Fluid levels (i.e., brake, oil, coolant) have to be correct. Check them often as your Spyder will not run right if they are not. (Brake fluid level will go lower as the brake-pads begins to wear. While your brake-pads may still look good, your brake-fluid is now low and the Spyder will throw a code for it... while you scratch your head wondering why. Simply top-off the fluid.)
Be sure to relax your grip on the handlebars. People's first propensity is to squeeze the daylights out of the grips. This will make the Spyder skip from side-to-side causing a "jerky-ride" (lateral movement). JUST RELAX your grip, and you'll soon see that the Spyder's ride will have a reduction in its "jerkiness". Relaxing typically comes naturally after riding it for several hundred miles.
Be sure to have fun and ride often... probably should be the #1 "MUST DO".

That is a collection of "sage-advice" gathered from various resources to help you enjoy your experience with your Spyder; and to avoid "beginner mistakes" that may cause grief later-on.

If anyone disagrees or can add to the list... please do.:thumbup:

FlaBound
09-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Rather then respond to each generous welcome individually, I'll consolidate them here.

Read the "Do's and Don't". Very good stuff. Thanks
I bought the Lava Bronze limited with black seat. Was a virtual toss up between this and the white.
Got the spyder from Moto Sports in Hanover PA. So far very impressed, particularly with their mechanic, Ryan. Seems to be very meticulous, and knows the machine.
No "Farkling" yet. Still recovering from the check I wrote out yesterday.

My only concern right now is, where to ride today.:yes:

Grandpa Spyder
09-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Rather then respond to each generous welcome individually, I'll consolidate them here.

Read the "Do's and Don't". Very good stuff. Thanks
I bought the Lava Bronze limited with black seat. Was a virtual toss up between this and the white.
Got the spyder from Moto Sports in Hanover PA. So far very impressed, particularly with their mechanic, Ryan. Seems to be very meticulous, and knows the machine.
No "Farkling" yet. Still recovering from the check I wrote out yesterday.

My only concern right now is, where to ride today.:yes:

I ryde mine everywhere, and after you get the feel for yours you will to.

murphybrown
09-06-2012, 06:38 AM
:agree::congrats::welcome:let the "addiction" begin....:yes::yes:

sealfloorboards
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Congrats. on your new Spyder. "Old Lady", never:lecturef_smilie:. My lady is 71 and I call her "Smokey" (Smokin' hot Spyder chick). Gotta call it like it is:thumbup: You guys enjoy the time together and........

Ride n comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

ARtraveler
09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new ryde.