PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Spyder RT---a couple of questions

Elembytes
09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I have been looking at a SPYDER RT and have some questions:

How important is it to get the convenience and sound package versus just the base RT? The dealer says that some places are discounting BIG right now getting ready for the 2013 to come out. Said make an offer and see if it works. Well, I thought of suggesting 6500 off MSRP. Is that UN-likely to be accepted? I just can't see spending some $20k plus for this.

In, KS I found out it is a "motorcycle" and I have to take a written test and get a permit then take a skills test. (oh boy) Wish the dealer would offer a class or a way to get used to it.

Just out of curiosity, when traveling at a fairly high speed and you see a dead critter on the road and can't do much about it, what happens to the bike? It has a very low clearance area behind the front end.

What do people do to become more visible with a Roadster and how more Expensive is it to do? Gear and all, seems really expensive to get into this on a teacher's salary!

The dealer said if we got into this and didn't like it, there is a HUGE demand for USED units! Is this true?

Thanks!

Reid

Fire Bike
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM

How important is it to get the convenience and sound package versus just the base RT? The dealer says that some places are discounting BIG right now getting ready for the 2013 to come out. Said make an offer and see if it works. Well, I thought of suggesting 6500 off MSRP. Is that UN-likely to be accepted? I just can't see spending some $20k plus for this.

In, KS I found out it is a "motorcycle" and I have to take a written test and get a permit then take a skills test. (oh boy) Wish the dealer would offer a class or a way to get used to it.

Just out of curiosity, when traveling at a fairly high speed and you see a dead critter on the road and can't do much about it, what happens to the bike? It has a very low clearance area behind the front end.

What do people do to become more visible with a Roadster and how more Expensive is it to do? Gear and all, seems really expensive to get into this on a teacher's salary!

The dealer said if we got into this and didn't like it, there is a HUGE demand for USED units! Is this true?

Thanks!

Reid

My dealer has 5 used Spyders there. All are 2011 or 2012. I AM BETTING USED ONES ARE HARD TO MOVE RIGHT NOW.

Elembytes
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
My dealer has 5 used Spyders there. All are 2011 or 2012. I AM BETTING USED ONES ARE HARD TO MOVE RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for the response. Down here in KS around Kansas City Metro- we only have two dealers and one I don't like. No used bikes!

Since you are in the Fire and Rescue business- how do you feel about the safety of the Spyder vs. a regular Motorcycle? Have you seen many Spyders or know of many that have been in accidents?

So, how does one determine the "Fair" amount to offer for a RT Spyder (2012) model? We are in rough times still----seems like a lot of people who own them are doctor's etc, not many low income educators getting them.

I know my boat is a money drain- is the Spyder too?

Thanks for your help! Thank you for serving in the field. God Speed and God Bless!

BajaRon
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Rule #1 - Never believe a dealer

Rule #2 - Never forget Rule #1

ARtraveler
09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
:welcome: I would buy an RT with more equipment rather than less. Most people make the mistake of going in to cheap. Any accessories you would add that are not in a package will cost more later than the package.

Visability--there are lots of options with riding gear. Add a high visability vest for about $49.95.

Critters: try to avoid them by driving as alert as possible. Any contact between critters and the spyder at high speed is not going to have a good outcome.

This is probably a time to wait and see if you are not sure what to get as far as 2012 vs. 2013 goes. Don't count on a dealer helping you get rid of the :spyder2: if you find you have made a wrong decision--there is a market for used--at the right price--but for now with new models coming out, and current models on the floor--its probably not a good time for used.

revjvegas
09-04-2012, 09:28 PM
All good questions.

That's a depends question. Do you think you'll enjoy riding with no tunes or having to deal with wearing ear buds. After 6 years of riding with no tunes on my BMW, I have to say it is very cool having the built in sound system. I say make them the offer you're comfortable with, all they can say is no or come back with a counter offer. Never hurts to ask.

I would search to see if there's not a Motorcycle Safety Course in your area; my bet is you can find one http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx . Your dealer may even be able to point you in a direction.

Obstacle avoidance is one of those skills they should go over in your MSF course. In a nut shell, if you cannot safely swerve to miss it, you brake if you can to bring your speed down, then give it a little gas right before you hit it to help raise the suspension. There will be other recommendations on this of course as there is more than one way to skin a cat.

IMO, gear is a must. $200 for a jacket is not much in my opinion and go for the day glow yellow if you want to stand out as much as possible. I'd start there before spending the money to add all the LED lights etc.

I'd be careful with this one. Depends on the market where you are. This might be a case of the dealer just telling you what you want to hear.

Hope some of my .02 helps.

napper39
09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
right now the 2012s are priced lower than ive seen them a radio convince,is about 21000 out the door and a striped 5 speed man.is about 19000 out the door,thats about the beest you are going to get on an rt.your talking to renos sports i beleave and i priced those out 30 days ago,so maby a little less now but i dont think so.that 2012 radio i priced up above is the auto 5 speed .they come in blue or silver,thats how you know its a radio verson.:chat: if thats too high for you tahe the rs sports would be what you would need to buy some where around 17ooo or maby a little less.:sour:

Jeriatric
09-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanks!

Reid

If you're unsure they are worth the price and you're uncertain how the initial cost will be handled on your salary. May I suggest you spend at least a full day, or more, surfing this site to gain as much product knowledge as possible. While they are not necessarily inexpensive to begin with, if you are not mechanically inclined they can be costly if you have to rely on someone else(a dealer) to do the majority of your mandatory service work. I say mandatory because failure to do it, or have service work done is in direct violation of Spyders warranty.

With that said, there will be many pre '13 units left on dealers showroom floors for sometime after the '13's come out, and there will still be deals to be had. Perhaps further away than you would like, but available all the same. Take your time. Make sure it is right for you before you take the plunge. They are a blast. But what seemed on the front end to be a great idea, can latter turn into an unpleasant experience. If you discover it costs more to own than you had envisioned.

Decisions......aren't they fun.

Grandpa Spyder
09-05-2012, 05:41 AM
I bought an RTS but I wanted a limited. But I also wanted blue, so I had to go with RTS. I would not recommend a stripper. You will not be satisfied, believe me. Buy a Limited 2011 or 2012 used. but don't buy a basic model. You won't be happy.

CyncySpyder
09-05-2012, 06:12 AM
If I would have known how much it costs to maintane a Spyder (if you can't do the majority of the work yourself) there's NO WAY in the world I would have bought one. With that said, there's NO WAY in the world I could imagine my life now, without having one.

There are so many variables to consider. If your thinking of solo ryding, and mostly just around town and not long distance road trips, then I'd suggest saving $10 grand right off the top and getting an RS instead of an RT. But, if your going to be doing more 2 up ryding, and/or more medium to long distance road trips, then the RT is the better way to go, IMHO.

Are you going to ryding alot, if so, then the maintenance is going to add up quickly, especially if you rely solely upon the dealer to do it. I've NEVER worked on a vehicle in my life before owning the Spyder, but thanks to all the great and knowledgable members here on this forum, just about any routine maintenance procedure can be found in the DIY/HOW TO section of this forum, many with pics, vids and tips and tricks to boot:thumbup:

Without this forum, I couldn't afford to keep and ryde Teds Red Sled (2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S) on a daily basis as we do, but in order to do so, I've cut out cable cause I'd much rather be out ryding with Teddy than sitting in front of a TV. I've given my car to my best friend to save on those costs (plus if I ever need it, I can always borrow it) I'm addicted, plain and simple, I'll do what ever I have to do to ryde. Usually, at the end of a days ryde, my face actually hurts from smiling so much, no joke, its seriously THAT MUCH FUN. Its my therapy.

Teddy & I are on our 2nd RT-S now, having a 1st year 2010 & now his 2011 and we LOVE IT. We've gone on so many trips its hard to recount them all, and have met so many wonderful people from all over this country, and even from Canada and even Belgium.

TBC..... work

Bob Denman
09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
:welcome: I would buy an RT with more equipment rather than less. Most people make the mistake of going in to cheap. Any accessories you would add that are not in a package will cost more later than the package.

:agree: Boy; oh boy... Can I attest to THAT! :opps: I've been upgrading my A&C to RTS specs over the past 2 years! :gaah:

murphybrown
09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Yes, I am hopelessly addicted to Spyder ryding...I sometimes run scenarios thru my head about what is reallllly important to me...after family...literally the Spyder comes out on top...I love ryding that much. But each person has to decide what works for them...what works for me can not be what works for you. Therefore make your priority lists...and live accordingly. I always have more on my list that I want to do...but when I work it through sometimes I just can't do it...that is when I apply one of my life's tenants.....
My happiness/peace is allowing myself to be okay (actually great) with what is rather than wishing and bemoaning what is not....live in the moment with NO EXPECTATIONS...ahhhhh and then go for a Spyder Ryde...
Matter of fact I am headed out to check oil level getting ready for ryding tomorrow and Friday.........yep I'm addicted.....:clap:

SpyderAnn01
09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm another addicted Spyder owner. Like the others have said be sure you can comfortably afford it before taking the plunge.

Dragonrider
09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't forget about a good used Spyder, with an extended warranty. You can get a lot of bike for a lot less than new.

You should look at all the models - I've always thought the "S" was the best value, by far. You don't need the $1,000 GPS (good used 550 on the forum for $400!!). Decide what you want, then be patient and SHOP!

Sarge707
09-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I have quotes of 17,000 on 2 different Basic RT sm5 models in CT and both are right about 18,200 Out the door.
I won,t pay more as I already have an 09 GS SE5.
I love ear buds because they block a LOT of wind and Spyder noise and you can Listen to Just Moderate levels of sound in your helmet.
The basic No Frills has a lot less to go wrong but still has Heated Rider Grips, Comfortable seating position, adjustable windshield and plenty of storage to finally take a trip!!!
With 2 MP3 Players and a HD radio I have No use for a Stereo and my hearing benefits from not hearing Spyder, Wind and Stereo all at once.
Search around and tell the dealer what you will give him/her for their vehicle and you will be surprised at the outcome -
I confirmed BRP still has the 3.9% for 3 years with sheffield (Even with the $2,500 Off Till 31 Oct 12.)

I,m hoping by Early October to be down to 16,700 +Tax and Reg.

Illinois Boy
09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Last but probably most important...

If you are concerned about the affordability of anything you purchase, you might want to consider waiting before buying.

Ask yourself whether you are saving enough for retirement, paying your bills, savings for any children's college (and other expenses), and etc. If you are not; then do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford it.

Part of the problem in the U.S. is that people have become spoiled and think they can have anything they want. We have all seen how that works out. Remember, you can always find anyone to sell you something... but then they don't have to pay your bills... only you do.

Sorry to be a drag on this Spyder party, but that is solid advice. Many of us have had to wait until we could afford to get the "toys" we want -- which is why we were able to buy them.

Having said that... I like my Spyder despite its temperament at times. I have an RTS-SE5 with communications, and etc; and a RT trailer. I like to take at minimum 2-day trips. If you don't, then get the RS. If you buy one; click on the link in my signature-line for Do's and Don'ts for Newbies. It might save you some aggravation later.:thumbup:

sidetrack
09-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the response. Down here in KS around Kansas City Metro- we only have two dealers and one I don't like. No used bikes!

Since you are in the Fire and Rescue business- how do you feel about the safety of the Spyder vs. a regular Motorcycle? Have you seen many Spyders or know of many that have been in accidents?

So, how does one determine the "Fair" amount to offer for a RT Spyder (2012) model? We are in rough times still----seems like a lot of people who own them are doctor's etc, not many low income educators getting them.

I know my boat is a money drain- is the Spyder too?

Thanks for your help! Thank you for serving in the field. God Speed and God Bless!

Before you do anything with one of the dealers in KC take a trip to Cuba just for grins. I bought mine from one of the KC dealers and all I can say is that there tec's lack some skill on Spyders. Your time with the dealer is like sex, it just doesn't last. Your relationship with the Tec. will last much longer so pick a good one. THERE IS NOTHING CHEEP ABOUT A SPYDER !!!!!!!!!! If you can get a good used one go for it.

Y-me
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
You may want to get options at time of sale as they can be expensive afterward even if you do the labor yourself.

I think the Spyder has better visability by itself.
You take up a full space in the lake and the lights seem to get people's attention.

You should take the MSF course since you get a break on insurance.
The Spyder is easy to ride but having some time in the saddle helps.

Best of luck,
Y

Elembytes
09-05-2012, 08:21 PM

If you are concerned about the affordability of anything you purchase, you might want to consider waiting before buying.

Ask yourself whether you are saving enough for retirement, paying your bills, savings for any children's college (and other expenses), and etc. If you are not; then do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford it.

Part of the problem in the U.S. is that people have become spoiled and think they can have anything they want. We have all seen how that works out. Remember, you can always find anyone to sell you something... but then they don't have to pay your bills... only you do.

Sorry to be a drag on this Spyder party, but that is solid advice. Many of us have had to wait until we could afford to get the "toys" we want -- which is why we were able to buy them.

Having said that... I like my Spyder despite its temperament at times. I have an RTS-SE5 with communications, and etc; and a RT trailer. I like to take at minimum 2-day trips. If you don't, then get the RS. If you buy one; click on the link in my signature-line for Do's and Don'ts for Newbies. It might save you some aggravation later.:thumbup:

Very good points and thank you for your honesty and insight! You are right on about the problems in the USA. Wish everyone had the same viewpoints for sure.

EVERYTHING is so darn expensive in our society anymore---groceries, gas, EVERYTHING! It's so sad----for us it is always cash flow- and retirement savings.... Then again, I personally, expect this world to cease not too long away....(Sorry my Religion is showing) but I expect RETURN of someone SOONER rather than LATER.

Things wouldn't be such a "issue" had I not traded my old pickup for a newer pickup this summer to pull our boat. We have funds, but you always hesitate to spend them not knowing the future----our home will need a new roof in a year or two or so, and you just never know on things. We are on 33 acres of land here in KS and it takes $$$ to take care of that etc., then there is always taxes and so forth. So it all weighs heavy on this person's head. Thus my taking time to really research things and to really make an educated decision. My wife is a math teacher and I am a non-certified instructor as well. Ain't a lot of $$$ ---times like this wish I had done a few things different in my life. At 51, you sure do a lot of reflecting.

Anyways- thank you for your response- and insight and knowledge! It is always a good thing and as I have said to other's on this forum since I signed on- it's nice to know there are good people still out there, that are willing to give of their time, and knowledge to help a fellow human being-----God Speed and again thank you!

Reid

Elembytes
09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I am a short 5'3"-overweight guy----When I have sat on the SPYDER RT- I have noticed that the "Family Jewels" as it were- (Sorry, not trying to be sick here) get smashed pretty good when I sit on the bike.

The dealer says that I can have an upholsterer shave some of the foam out of the seat by the glove box that it might help me in that region.

Like I said, this is a weird situation but thought I'd ask and see if others have had anything similar to this. Lord knows I have had my share of kidney stones and botched stents, I don't need any other issues down there if you know what I mean! Even at 51, it's nice to keep things the way they should be! (Smile)

Thank you!

Grandpa Spyder
09-06-2012, 05:24 AM
I am a short 5'3"-overweight guy----When I have sat on the SPYDER RT- I have noticed that the "Family Jewels" as it were- (Sorry, not trying to be sick here) get smashed pretty good when I sit on the bike.

The dealer says that I can have an upholsterer shave some of the foam out of the seat by the glove box that it might help me in that region.

Like I said, this is a weird situation but thought I'd ask and see if others have had anything similar to this. Lord knows I have had my share of kidney stones and botched stents, I don't need any other issues down there if you know what I mean! Even at 51, it's nice to keep things the way they should be! (Smile)

Thank you!

You will probably change the seat anyway. The factory seat you sit on, the after market seat you sit in.

Grandpa Spyder
09-06-2012, 05:27 AM

If I waited that long they would have hover craft out by then and I would have missed all of this fun. Besides The wife is paying for mine.

antd929
09-06-2012, 05:36 AM
I have a 2011 rts for sale in the wtb 4 sale section take a look if your looking for used

redflasher
09-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Thank you!

I sorta noticed the same problem. I bought an Airhawk seat cushion that has a cut-out in the front for the ---- and another cut-out in the rear for the tailbone. Best $170 I ever spent for riding comfort.:clap:

Elembytes
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I sorta noticed the same problem. I bought an Airhawk seat cushion that has a cut-out in the front for the ---- and another cut-out in the rear for the tailbone. Best $170 I ever spent for riding comfort.:clap:

That is good to know- nice to know other people have experienced what I was talking about and to know there is a "CURE" so to speak. Do you have a picture of what you bought and how it looks on your Spyder? Thanks-Reid