PDA

View Full Version : Where the H--l are all the Virginia Spyder Riders?

DR Buck
09-03-2012, 08:18 PM
The wife and I just got home from a 5 day road trip across and around VA. We covered 1056 miles and rode through 31 counties and 15 independent cities. We rode down through central VA to Danville and then crossed Route 58 all the way to the coast. Went up and down the main drag in VA Beach, crossed the 21 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel both going north and south, cruised the tourist areas of Chincoteague Island, downtown Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Yorktown, the Jamestown settelment and numerous smaller towns and cities along the route. The only Spyders seen were a black RT parked in front of a pawn shop in Franklin and the wife saw a platinum RT go down a side street while she was walking in colonial Williamsburg.

I now have over 5000 miles on my RT limited that includes a couple trips on the Skyline Drive and Colonial Parkway and still have not had a random Spyder encounter. :dontknow: Where are you guys? We've seen Spyders going in and out of the dealership and once when a bunch of us met for lunch, but NEVER out on the road. :hun:

MTFan
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
My wife and I have the same experience. We only seem to see spyders when riding with others. Tonight on our way back into town we saw a blue or black RT 2 up in Fredericksburg around 9 PM. Today is the first time we saw more than one. We counted 9 between Gatlinburg, TN and Fredericksburg, VA. 4 of them were in VA, mostly down around Salem.

With my work we have not been out riding in about 3 weeks and still won't be for another 2 or 3.

SpyderMarkus
09-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Wife & I finished all 45 stops of the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Virginia on 15 Aug 2012. Besides seeing Ken Wright, who randomly checked in @ the Steel Horse Grille at the same time we arrived, we only saw 1 other Spyder on the road during our 9 trip, 115 hour, 2666 miles traveling our CommonWealth. However, it sounds like you had a pretty good long trip yourself, Dr. Buck!! :ohyea:

1VENOM
09-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I live in Virginia Beach, and, work in Norfolk. Like I said I work, don't have the pleasure of running around. I haven't made the investment that would allow me to gallivant around, yet.
I hope you enjoyed the Beach while you were here. I'm sorry that you saw so few Spyders on your trip, but I am sure they were working as well. If you get back down here in the near future, give me a call and I'll give you a tour of Back Bay and a ferry ride over to the east coast of NC. Its a great day ride with no real destination in mind just the ride.
Rod
cell 757-343-3986

antd929
09-06-2012, 02:55 AM
52769I got 3000 on mine and i only see spyders when i take it in for oil change and there is supposed to be a spyder rider just around corner from me. Did join all these guys near charlottesville

1-hlks
09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Looking for Spyder riders in the Martinsville, VA area.

antd929
09-10-2012, 01:19 AM

Im only about 30 miles away give or take

Cal777
09-11-2012, 04:30 AM

I live in Henry.
Rudy

Questions
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
We rode down to Afton Mountain from Fredericksburg this past Sunday and visited the little town the author of the old Walton's series grew up in. Saw lots of bikes, no Spyders. But we did have a great time and some of the views were outstanding.

daveinva
09-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Still a rarity, but I run into a few up here in Northern Virginia from time to time... saw a silver RT pass me by on I-66 this past Sunday morning, in fact. I waved like a happy goofball!

SpyderMarkus
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Wife and I were ryding our two :spyder2:'s in Fredericksburg (in Route 3) Sunday evening around 5 pm when we passed a White RS Spyder. Two minutes later, we saw a White RT Limited turn towards the Red Lobster (our destination) near the mall while we were at stopped at the intersection waiting to turn. :spyder2: sightings are rare, but occasionally they happen. :doorag:

sdenhart
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Wife and I were ryding our two :spyder2:'s in Fredericksburg (in Route 3) Sunday evening around 5 pm when we passed a White RS Spyder. Two minutes later, we saw a White RT Limited turn towards the Red Lobster (our destination) near the mall while we were at stopped at the intersection waiting to turn. :spyder2: sightings are rare, but occasionally they happen. :doorag:

SpyderMarkus I am in Fredericskburg on a Bronz Limited. Maybe we could hook up a ride sometime in the near future

SpyderMarkus
09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Sounds great... I usually work weekends and off on Thursdays/Fridays; however, I'm straight Mon-Fri & off weekends for the next 6 weeks. We can usually ryde any Saturday or Sunday except tomorrow. I'm taking my Spyder to FMS to have my BumpSkid installed and the spare key I purchased reprogrammed. Just let us know!!!

DR Buck
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
It's almost the time for a Skyline Drive ride. :trike: The leaves will be turning in a few weeks. Maybe we should put out an APB and meet at one end or the other for breakfast. :bbq:Then, make it a day riding the whole thing with a lunch stop somewhere along the route.

Maybe 1st or 2nd weekend in October??? :dontknow: Anyone up for it? :hun:

MTFan
09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I was Virginia Power Motor Sports in Ruckersville on Friday. They are planning a ride between the middle of October and the end. They had a ride earlier in the year. The ride should be listed here and also on facebook.

mhoecker
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
It's almost the time for a Skyline Drive ride. :trike: The leaves will be turning in a few weeks. Maybe we should put out an APB and meet at one end or the other for breakfast. :bbq:Then, make it a day riding the whole thing with a lunch stop somewhere along the route.

I'd love to do something like that. I'm in!

Madonna

ValCruzSpyder
09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey Dr,
The wife and I just just picked up our RT, Looking to do some riding as well. Maybe we can meet up and hit Skyline and parts unknown. ValCruzSpyder is up for an adventure.;)

sdenhart
09-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I would like to go on that ride... Sounds GGGReat

mooneych
09-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Skyline? We'd like that...

ValCruzSpyder
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
ValCruzSyder here. Let's try to get a serious date for a Skyline ride. The wife and I left for ride to Elizabeth City on Saturday...ended up riding to her nephew's house in New Bern, NC. What a blast. Va Beach is a fair jump off point for us...as long as they, (VDOT) are not shutting down tunnels!! What a drag! Looking to ride the Colonial Parkway soon. It's only a 25 mile scenic ride, but all the same, still a good little ride. We will be leaving for a cruise (ship) in a few weeks. So we want to get in some ride time before we leave. Let us know if any of you all want to pick up and just ride. :p Spyder Crazy!!!!!!

spyder-dude
09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I am from over near Staunton, VA. I will be helping Virginia Motor Powersports put on their 2nd spyder ride like we did in the spring. It was a great time.

Always looking for more people to ride with so if you are ever near Central Virginia (Charlottesville, Waynesboro or Staunton) let me know.

1-hlks
09-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I live in Henry.
Rudy

Hey Rudy, I meet you and your wife at the Jennifer Short Memorial Benefit Ride. You actually told me about this site. It was very nice to meet you and your wife. We need to get a bunch of Spyders together around here for a ride.

1-hlks
09-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Come on down sometime and a bunch of us can go riding one weekend.

Cal777
09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey Rudy, I meet you and your wife at the Jennifer Short Memorial Benefit Ride. You actually told me about this site. It was very nice to meet you and your wife. We need to get a bunch of Spyders together around here for a ride.

We enjoyed meeting you all too and would love to do a ride with other Spyder people. There are a lot of good roads in this area. My cell is 276-732-2151 if you all would like ride sometime.
Rudy

YIRYDE
09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
I have been riding for about a year now but I just joined this forum. I don't see many in the Manassas area. You can catch me on I66 in the HOV between Manassas and route 50 going and coming from work.

spyderrider76
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Just bought my spyder a few months ago, and I have just joined this site. I am looking to meet other spyder riders in Virginia and would like to join every one for the ride in October.

daveinva
09-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Definitely interested in a Skyline ride (especially if anything other than the first weekend in October, I couldn't make 6-7 Oct but anything else, I'm in! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:)

DR Buck
09-27-2012, 08:19 PM
OK, here it is....... The Skyline Drive ride is on! :trike:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44802-Spyders-on-the-Skyline-Saturday-20-october-2012&p=521868#post521868

ldyfam2
11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I live in Norfolk and have the RS. I wonder the same thing when I am out riding, where are all the syder riders!!!;)

Questions
11-24-2012, 11:27 PM
1venom, hi I live in moyock and also work in Norfolk. Not sure if we have seen each other, I am down for a ride anytime.

I live in Virginia Beach, and, work in Norfolk. Like I said I work, don't have the pleasure of running around. I haven't made the investment that would allow me to gallivant around, yet.
I hope you enjoyed the Beach while you were here. I'm sorry that you saw so few Spyders on your trip, but I am sure they were working as well. If you get back down here in the near future, give me a call and I'll give you a tour of Back Bay and a ferry ride over to the east coast of NC. Its a great day ride with no real destination in mind just the ride.
Rod
cell 757-343-3986

Netminder
11-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Come to Quebec! (well maybe not this time of year!) there is lots on the road here!:yes::yes:

I2BZ2W8
11-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Im in Woodbridge..and I have seen a couple spyders on the road..Im traveling for work..but as soon as I return and the weather is nice I will be out and about..picked up my RS-SE5 in October and still have less than 10 miles on him..... ;-(

Kungfuspyder
11-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I went to northern Arkansas Thanksgiving week, put 500 miles on my RT I saw not a single :ani29:. Those who were close had other plans and stayed home in their area. Back home now in my area I've seen 5 spyders since July. I know the dealership sold more than 1.:dontknow:

piedmontrider
12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I am located in Culpeper, and have been riding as much as possible since I picked up my Spyder in Winston-Salem, NC the beginning of October.
Joined Patriot Guard Riders and have thoroughly enjoyed those missions. Recommend you to join if you can.
Hope to hook up with other Spyder Riders and take a few runs.
Doug

mooneych
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
There was a couple that purchased a white RS last weekend at Coleman's in Woodbridge. I hope they remember the site and log in to say hi.

I live in Chantilly and I ride into DC every day on I-66. I've ocasionally seen an RT going east in the afternoon, but I was going too fast to see what color it was. :yes::yes:

Ping me if you want to ride. Heated clothing is ready for action! :doorag:

2 Stricklands
01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
52769I got 3000 on mine and i only see spyders when i take it in for oil change and there is supposed to be a spyder rider just around corner from me. Did join all these guys near charlottesville

If you are in Hardy, maybe I am just around the corner. Im on Edwardsville road and did ride today (1-13-2013). I have talked to several Va Riders but have not rode with only a few.

Spydered
01-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Have put a 2013 Spyder RT on order through Coleman's Power Sports of Woodbridge. I am looking forward to meeting up with fellow Northern Virginia Spyder riders.

BAD RSS
01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm in Mechanicsville. I have seen three Spyders. A white RT on 301, a grey RT out near oilville, and another Green RSS on Route1. If it's not raining, I am riding mine daily.

TwinPeaks
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
I agree. We've had SPYDERS since 2009 and have tried to find other SPYDERS to ride with. No success. Seen lots of SPYDERs at the dealer, even help out on promotional events. We tried to form a SPYDER's Group in Hampton Roads but that fell through also. I did a ride with Venom and another rider years ago but nothing since. Seems there's a fairly active riding group in Northern VA, they're on Facebook (SPYDER Ryders of America). Spring is coming, it would be nice to gather. Wish I could go to SPYDERFEST but work prevents it right now.

Questions
03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
I agree. We've had SPYDERS since 2009 and have tried to find other SPYDERS to ride with. No success. Seen lots of SPYDERs at the dealer, even help out on promotional events. We tried to form a SPYDER's Group in Hampton Roads but that fell through also. I did a ride with Venom and another rider years ago but nothing since. Seems there's a fairly active riding group in Northern VA, they're on Facebook (SPYDER Ryders of America). Spring is coming, it would be nice to gather. Wish I could go to SPYDERFEST but work prevents it right now.

I own your old spyder, ready to ride anytime on the weekends or bike nights!!!!

Chupaca
03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
This thread was started in September of 2012, if you haven't found them by now your not gonna..!!:roflblack::roflblack:

1-hlks
03-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Are you on facebook? If you want to go riding sometime, let me know. I ride with my bf, he has a Harley.

I2BZ2W8
03-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Hi there is a group of us on here as well as FB & http://www.sraodva.com/schedule.html. Our next get together is next Sat 6th in Triangle VA. There are 12 registered VA Spyders going to Spyderfest...

Spydered
03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Will have my Spyder on the 14th. Looking forward to riding across Virginia. He to see you on the by-ways.

I2BZ2W8
03-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Great I'm in Dale City...come down Sat 6th to meet everyone at the Marine Corp museum & see other info at http://www.sraodva.com/schedule.html

I2BZ2W8
03-31-2013, 07:14 AM
This thread was started in September of 2012, if you haven't found them by now your not gonna..!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Not true...some things just take time :wrong:

joet82
03-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Spyder Ryder of America - Old Dominion Chapter (Norfolk Area, I believe) is becoming defunct on April 1 because of the seeming lack of interest to keep it up and running, I.e.- no chapter by-laws, no board members (prez, vp, sec, etc). Sad to see it go like this.

If you are interested in keeping it alive and know 4-5 others at least who are willing to put in the work, contact Ken Miller, the National Director of SRA to keep it up and running. He is on here, I just can't remember his handle.

SpyRyd
03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Spyder Ryder of America - Old Dominion Chapter (Norfolk Area, I believe) is becoming defunct on April 1 because of the seeming lack of interest to keep it up and running, I.e.- no chapter by-laws, no board members (prez, vp, sec, etc). Sad to see it go like this.

If you are interested in keeping it alive and know 4-5 others at least who are willing to put in the work, contact Ken Miller, the National Director of SRA to keep it up and running. He is on here, I just can't remember his handle.

Where did you hear this? Don't think it's true. SRA-OD meeting scheduled for 6 Apr at Marine Corp Museum in Triangle VA, 1015-1315hrs or longer. Will probably be 15-20 Spyder ryders in attendance.

2 Stricklands
03-31-2013, 10:28 AM

SRAODVA has by laws, have officers, have a web site, has a group here on SL and have had 3 meetings in 2013 alone. The President, Kenny Wright (bandwagon on SL) has talked to Ken Miller fairly often in the past.

WE welcome you and the other 4 or 5 people to join us. The last meeting was yesterday, contact bandwagon for more information.

joet82
03-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Where did you hear this? Don't think it's true. SRA-OD meeting scheduled for 6 Apr at Marine Corp Museum in Triangle VA, 1015-1315hrs or longer. Will probably be 15-20 Spyder ryders in attendance.

Sorry for the false alarm. I was mistaken on which chapter. I apologise. I'm no worthy of my crapy memory at times.

xGreenxMeaniex
03-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Here in Richmond and I have not seen any Spyders in my area yet I am so lonely and stuck with 2 wheel lovers *le sigh*

I2BZ2W8
03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Here in Richmond and I have not seen any Spyders in my area yet I am so lonely and stuck with 2 wheel lovers *le sigh*

Our first Spyder Ryder's of America - OD chapter meeting was in Richmond-Short Pump on Jan19th.....

xGreenxMeaniex
03-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Oooh darn I just got my Spyder 3 weeks ago! Hopefully the meet up will come to my area again!

SpyRyd
04-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Sorry for the false alarm. I was mistaken on which chapter. I apologise. I'm no worthy of my crapy memory at times.

Not a problem...good luck with your Pitbull adventure...see you at Spyderfest!

joet82
04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Not a problem...good luck with your Pitbull adventure...see you at Spyderfest!

I plan on being there the 25th to the 29th. Offset the dates to take care of some business with Len and house hunt a little. Maybe, eventually start up my own chapter or convert the MoGang. SRA - MoGang Chapter does have a ring to it. Haha

SpyRyd
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM
I plan on being there the 25th to the 29th. Offset the dates to take care of some business with Len and house hunt a little. Maybe, eventually start up my own chapter or convert the MoGang. SRA - MoGang Chapter does have a ring to it. Haha

Converting the MoGang! Good luck with that! My impression of the MoGang is that they are a great group of Spyder lovers that march to the beat of their own drum...don't think they would easily succumb to any infringement on their free spirit and "no rules" approach to having fun that may come with being incorporated into the SRA organization. As otter would say...just sayin'.