PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the automatic

Helevitia
12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Greetings folks. First post on the boards. I'm impatiently waiting for the automatics to come out since that is my only option :( It's really been a test of patience watching everyone get their Spyder while I have to wait. Yes I'm whining :doorag:

Once I figure out how much I might owe on taxes, I'll probably go put down a deposit. My only concern is that I will have a hard time with the brake due to a disability I have. If that's the case, I'm sure I can find someone to mount a hand brake for me :)

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hi and join the forums :) Cheers!

Lamonster
12-12-2007, 08:00 AM
:welcome:
I'm going to work on a hand brake for this beast. It will be a cable brake more than likely so I don't have to mess with the brake system.

LittleJohn
12-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm going to work on a hand brake for this beast. It will be a cable brake more than likely so I don't have to mess with the brake system.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. My first thought (mind you, I havent seen it in person) would be to replace the foot operated master cylinder with a hand operated one, and just make the main supply line longer to reach the handlebars. Im thinking it would be easy enough to find a handbrake cylinder that matches the clutch side and mount it where they filled in that gap with a plastic cover. This of course would maove all the braking to the hand, and remove the foot operated part.

Sounds like your idea would leave the foot system but tie in the hand/cable as well.

Helevitia
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Sounds cool. Just curious, do you want a hand brake because you are already used to it?

Lamonster
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Sounds cool. Just curious, do you want a hand brake because you are already used to it?

Yes, if I get in a panic situation I'm going to do what I've been doing for the last 37 years of riding. I know you can get use to anything but I just don't see a reason to have to get use to that. I want a front brake on me Spyder and by golly I'm going to have one. ;)

Delmustator
12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Lamont, I know of some folks that are handicapped also that are interested in a hand brake. One in particular lost his right leg some years ago. But he has expressed great interest in the Cam Am. Post up when you have something workable.

Lamonster
12-16-2007, 02:18 PM
On this trip I have a few more reasons to add a hand brake.
One is that even though you do get use to using just the peddle brake I really felt like I was teaching myself some bad habits. When I get back on the 109 I'm going to have to retrain my brain again to use the front brake. That's not good.

Another time I was sitting at a light and I was heading down hill and I got a bad cramp in my right leg. I couldn't take my foot off of the brake or else I would have started rolling forward. I guess I could have put on the parking brake but the light was getting ready to change and I didn't want to fool with that. If I could have stood up and grabbed a lever brake all would have been well.

The next time I really missed not having a front brake lever was riding the twisties. I have been running those roads for so long now that even after 700 miles in the saddle I was still grabbing for my front brake. I hope I remember to do the same when I'm on my bike.

barb36jack31
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
For Lamonster - Have to agree with you regarding a front brake for the Spyder, especially if you have been riding a two wheeler. The brakes on the Spyder are terrific, but I still like the comforting feeling that a front brake gives me. I was on a 160 mile run yesterday and was whooping it down a nice two laner when all at once traffic slowed right down. I probably lost a half second or so hitting the brake pedal (44 feet at 60 mph). but when I did, the braking was smooth and linear. No pulling to either side and straight as a die. None the less, I would have stopped quicker if I had had a front brake system to use. It was a matter of reacting like I was on a two wheeler and losing that half second or so before braking began. It was not a crisis situation, but I would have been happier with a front brake.

Jack H.