PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank capacity

barb36jack31
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Have put a little over 300 miles on my silver Spyder and have noticied something of interest. Run the bike until the low fuel light goes on. Put gas nozzle in the tank and fill until it shuts off. At 3.5 gallons the pump shuts off. It did this on the next two tanks as well. The owners manual states that ther are 1.2 gallons left when low fuel light goes on. If you take the 1.2 gal reserve plus the 3.5 gal new gas you get a total of 4.5 gallons. The manual says the tank holds 6.6 gal. Where is the other 2.1 gallons? I thought perhaps the nozzle was too far down into the tank when filling. Rather than putting it all the way in, I held the nozzle tip about two in. below the lip of the tank opening. Voila! I was able to put in another 1.5 gallons before the pump automatically clicked off. At the current 32 miles per gallon mpg rate that gives me another 48 miles of riding before the low light comes on. (Somewhere in the 165 mile range before having to stop for fuel. and a little over 200 miles befor "get off and walk" time.)

Next couple of tanks I will use premium fuel and calculate the mileage and do a cost benefit determination of 87 vs 91 octane.

Jack H.

providerex
12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
i've ran my spyder 30 miles past when the light came on. and only could get 4.899 gallons in the damn this