PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy Your spyder?

btcherm
09-02-2012, 06:10 AM
what was the number one reason for buying your :spyder2: ????
mine was because I had a stroke and lost the strength in my legs,cause'nt
keep my 750 honda shadow up at a stop,and I did'nt want to stop rideing:shemademe_smilie: so my
wife said you buy a 3 wheeler, try the honda and try HD but I loved the:spyder2: and that the rest of the story. Istill have the honda.5258352584

TuckMiddle
09-02-2012, 06:24 AM
keep my 750 honda shadow up at a stop,and I did'nt want to stop rideing:shemademe_smilie: so my
wife said you buy a 3 wheeler, try the honda and try HD but I loved the:spyder2: and that the rest of the story. Istill have the honda.5258352584

Ditto, except mine is the right hip falling apart and lots of arthritis. Still have an '86 Helix and an '83 V45 Magna which don't get much use.:yes:
Tuck

SpyRyd
09-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Rode a Honda (1st bike), Yamaha (2nd bike), Harley Badboy (3rd bike), and a Harley Ultra Classic (4th bike) and then started with some serious medical issues culminating with two back surgeries. I thought I'd be back on my UC in no time but the more prudent people in my life (wife and daughters) convinced me I ought to reconsider. Sold the UC and took a :spyder2: for a test ryde and wrote a check on the spot. I've been a happy :spyder2: owner since late May this year and have a little over 3000 miles in the saddle. Will have close to 5000 by mid-Sept after returning from Lamont's BBQ and visiting my sister in South Pittsburg Tn. Love my :spyder2: :yes:.

Grandpa Spyder
09-02-2012, 06:57 AM
2 Reasons
1. I am getting lazy in my old age.
2. SAFETY

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Why??
Because the Missus said that I could! :thumbup:
Well... that and the fact that my legs wouldn't allow me to hold up a big touring rig anymore... :opps:

currin20fan
09-02-2012, 07:28 AM
:dontknow: Hubby thought I needed one! :roflblack: Never drove any type of bike before and only been on the back of a two wheeler maybe 5 times. Didn't know I would take to the spyder like I have. I simply love it!

arntufun
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
There was a Canadian Discovery Channel show I used to watch.
They had a segment on a new vehicle being tested by Bomabardier.
The video showed this absolutely amazing ski-doo yellow thing rounding the track.

It was the sexiest vehicle I had ever seen.
I told my wife "I want that!"

Well a couple of years later and the fact that the RT had a backrest we didn't get the RS, but the RT.

Awwwww Roger....... you have wisdom beyond most others !!!!!!!!! :firstplace:

Ga Blue Knight
09-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I bought my 09 RS because past injuries were making it hard to hold up my HD and pull the clutch. Loved it and would not have traded for an RT-S except that my wife would not ride on the RS, even with backrest. She loves the RT and goes along on ALL OF MY RIDES. I wonder if that RS is still available?

murphybrown
09-02-2012, 08:18 AM
at 70 I had a motorcycle on my bucket list..had never ridden or drove a 2 wheel so knew I would kill myself on a "regular" 2 wheel...fell in love with the research I did on the Spyder and bought without ever seeing "in person" or sitting on...just wanted it!!!! Absolutely no regrets...:yes:

CyncySpyder
09-02-2012, 08:39 AM

harrypottar
09-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Because it was just different enough, no health issues, apart from ugly bolding and fat.

Been riding a loooong time and was getting board, saw the spyder and fell in love with it.

Love the looks, the ride and just plain outright fun.

Harry

durango kid
09-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Had to try one when I saw it in a snowmobile mag. After the first ride I put my down payment on a 2008 PE. Started looking at the RT when they came out and waited one year( hopefully kinks were worked out, so far so good) tried one out and traded the rs in.

Jeriatric
09-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Because it's different. Have considered the move since they came out with the RT. Finally felt it was time to take the plunge and I'm glad I did.

Cruzr Joe
09-02-2012, 09:04 AM
My reasons, 63 years old and got into the habit of sitting around my shop, watching TV and getting lazy, have not ridden a motorcycle in 15 years or so. Needed something that the wife and i could be comfortable and relatively safe on, and something that would get us active and out of the house, considered the Honda trike but fell in love with the Spyder, wrote the biggest check i ever wrote for a "Toy" and we are having a blast. Love this forum and all the great info here. Both of my sons initialy thought the Spyder was a "different" approach for a motorcycle, but now they find reasons to stop by and take it for a spin.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

Dragonrider
09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Because I couldn't find a reverse kit for a Valktrie trike....

Tomite
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Because my health issues prevent me from riding a 2 wheeler. Plus it is different than the trikes and I like to be different. lol

Dib52
09-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Because she wanted it, who was I to say no! The wife only wanted to consider trike configurations and we went to the Can Am dealer first. The rest is history.

NancysToy
09-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Because my wife told me I should. nojoke

prmurat
09-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Cause of a mc accident which left me with only 1/2 of the right arm useful... And my wife still wanted bike vacations!

Moosemanj
09-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Wanted a bike through 25 years of marriage, wife always said Hell No! Took her for a spin on the Spyder and the rest is history. She loves it!

SC_DOC
09-02-2012, 09:42 AM
The Spyder was my first bike (at age 62 at the time), and I wanted the safest thing available that would be easy to operate (I have an SE-5), and not require a motorcycle license (in SC). It also was the only bike my wife would approve.;)

Netminder
09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Have wanted one since they first came out, but we said we would wait until we retired. Then I went through treatments for cancer last year, and it changed my whole outlook on life, so we said why wait, let's enjoy life now! That and the fact it is built in my home province.:clap:

Mr. White
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I started riding scooters in 1948, went through several scoots until I bought a new 1995 Gold Wing. Got run over at a stop sign and bought a 2002 GW. In '05 I triked my Wing due to a bad knee out of the Korean War acting up. Great investment, Punkin' runs like a hose. Had a '97 Suzuki Bandit 1200, modified by a ex racer. I sold it....too fast for my slowing reaction times. Could not stand not having a rocket so I bought a '07 Bandit 1250S....loved it....Okay, again too fast so I looked at a RT-S SE5, thought hey, I will try this out and ordered a Viper Red loaded...GPS, CB, XM, etc.

In 7,000 miles, it has quit on me twice...the first was a quick fix, this second time took six weeks for parts and repair. I pick up my repaired machine this Tuesday.

Buying BR1 was a huge mistake in my motorcycle career. I will probably ride BR1 until he breaks again, fix him and then he is gone! I will then buy a new GW and trike it if Punkin' will let me.

:spyder2:

Paula(Butch2025)
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I bought my Spyder because I got tired of asking to use my husband's Spyder whenever I wanted to go for a ride! And my Vespa 50LX couldn't keep up with him!
--Paula

Blue Star
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Always wanted to get a bike, but wife said not until the kids are 18. Well when the oldest was 15.5 I got one anyway. After laying it down my wife told me to sell the bike, and buy a car for my daughter. Since I was in no condition to argue (and I wanted to stay married :roflblack:) I sold the bike. Then a 1.5 year a later a yellow RS rode past my house. I told my wife that is what I want, and of course both her and the kids say "no motorcycles" (amazing how daughters mimic their Mom). Started researching the Spyder, and two years later finally got her to say okay. Then after six months my wife and daughter ride with me as passenger, and my youngest wants me to teach her to shift so she can ride it when she comes home :yes:

Harley
09-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Rode two wheelers for many years, until a huge German Shepard decided to eat the front tire on my Gold Wing, I was in a sharp curve, dropped off the pavement, and almost lost it. I decided my riding days were behind me after selling the GW. I saw my first Spyder at Johnson Shut Ins about five years ago, and I told the wife I had to have one. It took a while to talk the wife into this, but she finally agreed to go a test ride at Cowtown, and that was all it took. We purchased a 2012 RT SE5 A&C from Len after my 75th birthday. Now we ride it every time we get the chance and love the:spyder2::yes::yes::yes:

SpydeRider2010
09-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I rode two wheelers for over 44 years, starting at age 14. ridden imports and domestics, and was wrecked off our new Voyager, 21 days after buying it, with less than 950 miles on it. we had looked at the Spyder, but the price point was more than we wanted at the time.
after the accident totaled the Voyager and it being the end of the year, our dealer had a demo that was marked down and included some rebates. after some offers were made, I rode off into the rain on Dec. 27, 2010.
knowing my Wife had never ridden on her own, I also wanted to make sure that she could get back home if we were on a road trip and something happened to me. that next summer, I taught her how to ride, she took her test and passed, and that was between two hip surgeries.
this platform is more suited for OUR riding needs, and I use it as my primary transportation to and from work EVERYDAY, plus our short and long trips. so we're happy, I get to ride everyday (all year long), the price was right (maintenace costs SUCK... :mad:), and it's fun. :2thumbs:

revjvegas
09-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I've had my F650 since 2005 and put over 65,000 miles on it and she's still going strong...rotax motor, need I say more.

My last trip, I did 600 miles a day for two days to get from Houston to Grand Lakes. Spent three days there, then back home in two days doing 600 miles a day again.

In those 1200 miles home, I had a long time to think it was time for me to get a bike more suited for these long distance trips I want to take....sooooo, one week later after returning from that trip I was driving my new spyder home.

So now my BMW can get a little needed rest :-)

donec
09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Got my first motorcycle when I was14 Mother made me get rid of it a week later when she found out about it (had just got it running). Over the years I have owned several bikes and always felt there was nothing like riding a bike. Then stopped for several years, not in one place enough (all over the world). When I retired I wanted something special but had trouble throwing my leg (arthritis) over a bike, so I got a maxi scooter Burgman 400. It was great but lack of my stability made me fear slow turns. So I thought about a trike, but the are inherently dangerous IMO when making sharp turns. Then I saw a Spyder in a showroom and liked it but could thow my leg over the seat. But due to my interest I started researching Spyders and found you are supposed to stand on the pegs to thow your leg over and that you could test drive/ride them. After going for a test ride I found I did not like the design of the RT and could not aford one. So I started shopping around and realized I needed to look at used. Found an RS SE5 at the dealer and the rest is history.

MMcc
09-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Been riding since 1958. Owned lots of bikes over the years from BMW to HD's to Zundapps. In 2008 I owned 3 Honda, 2 in MN and one in CA, we winter there. Saw my first upclose Spyder in Palm Springs CA. A young gal was ryding it. Later saw her again at the gas station where I was filling up. She spoke about all the fun of ryding. Decided to look into the spyder. First listed the Honda's for sale. Sold 2 right away but held onto the third. Took a few demo rides on the spyders. Dealers were not much interested in dealing. Found a 2008 GS with under 1200 miles in Atlanta Ga. Bought it over the internet and flew down to ride it home. The seller told me that if the spyder was not everything he said it was and I did not like it he would purchase my return flight ticket. The rest is history. Now own a 2011 RTS. Sold the remaining bikes because I just did not ride them. The spyder was always the one . PS, I even overheard my wife tell some of her friends that she does enjoy the spyder and is always happy to go for a ryde.

ARtraveler
09-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I had pretty much bought a new motorcycle every couple years. When I saw the picture of the :spyder2: in a motorcycle magazine (either Rider or Cycle World) in Oct or Nov of 2007, I said I have to get one of those. I put money down in December ($1,000.00) and waited until June of 2008 to get the 2nd one to hit Alaska. My dealer got the first one.

Now it is a necessity for me to ride three wheels because of back and hip issues--but that was not the case when I started out.

Four :ani29:'s later--I still like the product.

Bike-O-Din
09-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Have owned 4 bikes over the last many years. Last one was an ST-1300. Loved them all, but mostly had to ride alone, because the wife did not want to ride on the 2 wheeler.

Now......

No other reason needed.

There are many others that I could list, but this is the best reason.

GloryRyders
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Linda's fault (my wife) so we got the '09 RS SE5 Sport Touring Edition (special set-up from Cowtown).................:roflblack: She felt that I needed a retirement present after 40 years working at the same company. Second one was also her idea, 2011 RT Ltd. so we could be more comfortable on long trips!:2thumbs: What a good girl she is!!:yes:

Ivorspyder
09-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Because I like change and fate.3 years I have had a Goldwing which was upto 890000 miles.I loved riding it and did thousand of miles long distance riding.I had seen the RS and thought it interesting but had no urge to get one.My one fear on a 2 wheeler is if I went down I take blood thinners and what a mess I would make.A couple of years ago I hit a deer and stayed up.In June an idiot texting came through a red light.we collided and luckily managed to land on my feet.FATE
I thought then get a 3 wheeler.I had seen a group of RT's in Florida. and loved the look so in the back of my mind I thought if I ever change this would be good.Went to the dealer a got a great trade in price on a bronze RT limited and decided there and then.CHANGE
ivor:f_spider:

L

oldbaldguy
09-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Health issues. Shoulder replacement on the left and some loss of strength on the right after spine surgery. Could never have picked up the Harley if I needed to.

stevedfive
09-02-2012, 04:39 PM
It was on my bucket list.

Fonz
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm new at riding. Rode a 2 wheeler for only a little while, and I never really felt comfortable with the leaning and all that. As a matter of fact, I was down right scared:yes:. Plus the Spyder looked cool, and I would be the first one in the hood with one. I love my ryde and this forum as well

samewok
09-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I got the 2011 rt limited after my wife finely said yes.
because I was in a wreck in 1972 in Hawaii had always said no.

800steve
09-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Because its cool, and my right leg dont work so good anymore.

boborgera
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
My reason was simple, I ride every day in the winter, And got tired of parking my bikes when it snowed, So i figured there'll be less down time with 3 wheels, So as long as i Wait for the plows to go by I'm good to go.

smoky
09-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Having ridden two wheels since I had a Cushman scooter at age 14, (that was 54 years ago) I may have logged a quarter million miles on two wheels. But since 1982, I've had three lower back surgeries for ruptured disks which left me with a pretty strong back but a goodly degree of neuropathy (weak ankles). In July of 2010 I suffered inner ear nerve damage, left side, which makes me teeter when I should totter. But I could still ride.

In June of 2011 as I crossed the Continental Divide near Glacier National Park, Montana, on my Harley, I got crossed up on a pavement construction dropoff and went down in the rain skinning a knee, breaking a left thumb and ruining a perfectly good rainsuit and helmet. Bike suffered a broken mirror and broken signal light lense. These sort of things put you to thinking. Plus, it's been five years since my wife had the nerve to climb on behind me. Get's lonely sometimes riding by one's self.

During the winter we kept seeing Spyder tv commercials and one night looked at each other and almost simultaneously said "That's what we need." Of course, that was all I needed to hear. Big search started right away. Found my 2011 RT SE from a nice couple in Ocala who had just traded it for a Honda trike. Their trike dealer knew nothing about Spyders and let me have it for his allowance to them. Win, Win, Win.

Yeah, we love it and can't wait to put some serious miles together as the weather cools in the fall. Got all kinds of slick Spyder riding gear and working regularly on more mods.

Yep, it's all my wife's fault....he, he, he.....:bowdown:smoky

rcantrell52
09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Waited until I was 60 before I did the MSF course. Decided I wanted something that was simple and easy to ride. That is the reason we purchased an SE5 model.
Reese

5ft2lilred
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Lost my husband after 40 years of bliss. Wanted another motorcycle (hadn't ridden since late 60's -- yamaha 350). Knew I couldn't hold up a 2 wheeler at my age. Got the RS, fell in love with it. Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.:yes:

Grandpa Spyder
09-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Lost my husband after 40 years of bliss. Wanted another motorcycle (hadn't ridden since late 60's -- yamaha 350). Knew I couldn't hold up a 2 wheeler at my age. Got the RS, fell in love with it. Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.:yes:

That is a great, I wish you two the best.:congrats:

chris56
09-03-2012, 05:56 AM
I needed it - with whatelse could you ryde in areas like here ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dulef22CFg

prider
09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Like so many I moved to 3 wheels because I did not believe I was safe for myself but more importantly others. As to the Can Am I was fed up with the attitudes of the HD Dealers in my area.

Ride Smart.......Ride Safe
Tom

Bob Denman
09-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.:yes:

:congrats:
Wishing you both nothing but the best! :2thumbs:

Ga Blue Knight
09-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Because stealing is illegal!

budsspuds
09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Been riding sense 72 when we were young and well dumb on a 72 Kawa 750 2-stroke still love the smell .

Then a Z-1 900 that I added a windjammer fairing and saddle bags .

Then no bikes from 75 - 80 bought a GS 850 Suki nice bike , but had two young kids and no time or $$$ to ride

Then 1996 bought a 1985 GPZ 1100 Kawa that bike was so fast well I sold it and knew my taste in riding had changed from young and dumb to older and slower (wiser)

Then 2003 bought a Victory 2002 TCD rode it 45000 miles and loved it owned it 10 years

Then decided once agian that we are older and ready to make a change to 3 wheels .

Had always liked the Spyder's especially the RT so we traded both Victorys on a new RT .

Went from a noisey , loud chrome ladden garage Queens V twin two wheeled bike(s) to a three wheeled
plain Jane RT that is nice and quiet and has been ridden more in 6 wks then the Vics were ridden in 6 months.

all in all we love our spyder and are glad to have made the switch .:yes:

Heliplt
09-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Because I could.

schnauzermom
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
As I got older, I began not enjoying 2 wheel so much. Loved the riding part but was starting to worry about the unknown road ahead. Like, what's the next gas station going to look like. What's the restaurant parking lot going to be like. Is it gravel? Is it too steep? Will I be able to walk it around the parking lot:shocked:? I owned a HD Street Glide touring bike, on a two week trip to MT,WY, etc., dumped it on the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier Park in the middle of a gravel, rutty road construction site:yikes:. Downsized to a HD Softail Deluxe. Never dumped it, but the questions in "MY MIND" kept getting louder and made it less enjoyable. Plus, beginnings of arthritis in thumb joints and wrists. So, tried the HD trike. Too much push and pull and fighting when road was rutty (demo rides). My husband suggested trying the Spyder RT. I had it in my mind ok, but going to keep the clutch for the traditional motorcycle feel:sour:. Again, my husband almost forced me to try the semi auto. End of story. We went on another 2 wk trip this summer and it was the most care free, worry free, stress free trip bike ride ever!!! My husband said he enjoyed the trip so much, he on his HD Road Glide, didn't have to listen to me vocally worry, about different aspects of the trip, we pulled off whenever, whereever, we felt like it. Snuggled into small parking spaces between cars I would have never tried before, even on gravel to take advantage of the sites around us. All in all the best "freeing of the mind" riding experience ever!!!!! Would reccommend to 2 wheel riders and non riders alike.:yes::bowdown::clap::ohyea:

spydaman60
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
two reasons why i bought the spyder!
#1. last year was a terrible year for snowmobiling and i thought i needed a way to log some miles during the summer, because i didn't want to sit around all summer like i had all winter!!! :banghead::banghead:
#2. the wife said i could!:ohyea::ohyea:

Babyblue
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM

I have been wanting a Spyder for 3 years, but could only afford a Yamaha Vstar 250. Three weeks after I got her, I was tboned. I tried riding it again, but simply froze everytime I got on her. Soooooooooo, long story short, I saved and saved.

I feels so comfortable and in control, well the rest is history.

2ndChildhood
09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Retirement present (from self):yes:, Wife loves it , Love the way it handles, Fantastic ride (5500 miles in 10 weeks)

SpydeRider2010
09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
yo Fonzie !!!! ;)

the longer you keep a little fear in your blood...
the longer you stay awake and don't get too
comfy on a bike. when you get too relaxed on
a bike/trike... you have a tendency of making
some stupid mistakes. enjoy your trike :thumbup:

Cooter
09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I always enjoyed motorcycles, but my "grandpa" mind set said "you will hurt yourself on one of those". Wife was driving home and saw a silver RT, and proceeded to tell me that she wanted one. Well, it is a motorcycle, so I hemmed and hawed, almost had her convinced that we did not need it. Used the argument of "it won't fit in the garage, unless you park YOUR car outside". She made me look up the stats, and yes, with some maneuvering around of "schtuff" in the garage, it would fit. Went to the local dealer, test rode, and "I can do this". Took the Basic Rider Training (MSF in Oregon), had a blast and thought, "I like this riding business" (yes I passed, only missed 1 written question and aced the riding skills portion:clap:). Ordered Itzy the next business day and waited:popcorn:.

After some issues with getting the financing put together (total mix up between dealer, myself, and finance company), picked up Itzy. Rode her home:yes:. Now keep in mind, I have never ridden a motorcycle before, just the BRT class (about 5 miles in circles in a closed parking lot on a single cylinder Suzuki). Now the dealer is in Portland, OR, downtown (which I do not like driving a car there), and I rode her home 65 miles. By the time I was home, it was all :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:.

Since that time, 1 year ago, we have logged 7200 miles, including a SITR this summer. Not too bad for a guy who was too scared to even think about it.

Looking back, riding is something that I wished I would have started sooner in life, however, better late than never.

My wife, well, she was right:2thumbs: (as always).

SPYD3R
09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
BECAUSE MY WIFE SAID SHE'D NEVER RIDE WITH ME............ :roflblack:

Annaa
09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Great site and forum.I like my spyder.:D

redflasher
09-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Something new for me and a bit more safer than 2 wheels or a sidecar outfit. I've been riding for about 52 years so I've pretty much done it all by now. I also decided that some surplus money sitting in a low interest account at the bank would be better used for something for ME.

Bob Denman
09-04-2012, 07:35 AM
BECAUSE MY WIFE SAID SHE'D NEVER RIDE WITH ME............ :roflblack:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif :2thumbs:

vondalyn
09-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I saw them on the news back in 2007/2008 and immediately wanted one. Saw my first one in real life in 2009 and that sealed the deal that someday I'd get one. Test drove the RS in 2009 but didn't feel comfortable with the sport bike rider position and I wasn't sure risers would let me sit up more so I didn't pull the trigger on it. We lost our local dealership so I didn't realize until this year that the RTs were out there (didn't see any of them on the road until this year). Sat on one on a Saturday, test drove and bought it on Tuesday when the dealership opened up next.

Got my first motorcycle in 1984, and I can still drive 2 wheels, but feel safer on 3 -- I wanted more power and wasn't sure if I could deal with a bigger bike at slow speeds and intersections.

qasamm
09-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Rode for 20+ years but never fully legal. Fast forward to responsibility, people depending on me and a bit of mortality realization it only took one commercial to get me interested.

Love the open ride, stability and uniqueness.