PDA

View Full Version : Weird and strange things! Ideas!

currin20fan
09-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Went on a 100 mile poker run today for the Make A Wish Foundation. Yep, it was hot and at one time the screen read 102 but the bike kept on ticking. All of a sudden, couldn't shift into 2nd gear and I know there was plenty of oil. Hubby just changed it the day before. Not only that.........the temperature turned to read celius (sp), and everything else turned to something different. Plus, the screen was showing I was towing a trailer, which I was not. I stopped, reset everything and continued on my way with no other incidents. And that was probably another 20 miles. Now, I ask you, how strange is that and what could have caused it. It never went into limp mode that I could see. :dontknow: Maybe the Bike Prof and give me an idea about all of this.

2011 RT Limited!

harrypottar
09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I would wait for the experts to chime in but at a guess, lose battery connections, lose fuses or relays.

harry

btcherm
09-02-2012, 05:54 AM
the:spyder2:gremlin has found you.:spyder:

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Aliens?? :shocked: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/540.gif

currin20fan
09-02-2012, 07:25 AM
the:spyder2:gremlin has found you.:spyder:

They just need to go away...........that was some scary s#$t!

NancysToy
09-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Too many possibilities here to sort out. Could have been RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) on the CANBus from a strong rogue signal of some sort, heat induced electronic failure, low voltage, or something else. If it has cleared upfor now, pay attention to the location and weather conditions if it happens again. If it is still happening, and the battery connections (inside the body, not under the seat) are clean and tight, the relays are well seated, and the battery is fully charged, it is time to see the dealer. It won't be easy to figure out. From your description, more than one module is involved.

bruiser
09-02-2012, 09:34 AM
We did a route check ride yesterday in preparation for a fund raiser on the 22nd. The temp on the Spyder never went below 102F. The total ride was 130 miles, the route is just over 70. And it was HOT. The Spyder didn't have a problem at all. The analog water temp stayed right in the middle as it normally does except on prolonged red lights when it went just a little above center. Hope you find out what that was all about. :dontknow:

currin20fan
09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Took the spyder for a spin today and everything ran just great. Hopefully those gremlins found a new home, if not, I'm replacing my gremlin bell...:trike:

Ken Thomas
09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
English please !!

From a computer system perspective:

The Spyder's cluster stores your preferences, accumulated miles and a whole bunch of other things in something called nonvolatile ram.
All this information physically lives on a chip or part of a chip in the cluster.

If only part of the information was corrupted, for example only temperature, it would point to an error in the mechanism to read that information (called a bus error).

Since it seems that momentarily the entire cache of information went bad would indicate, IMHO, an error on the cluster chip storing the info.

Now who cares and why does it matter?
If it never happens again obviously it doesn't matter.

A bus error is more likely to be a one off while a chip error is statistically more likely to be repetitive over time.
BUDS may shed some light.

currin20fan
09-03-2012, 04:28 AM
It's in the cluster and it may never happen again or the entire cluster could crap out.

:yikes: - Hopefully it will get me to Lamont's BBQ and back without any more issues.

NancysToy
09-03-2012, 07:54 AM
It's in the cluster and it may never happen again or the entire cluster could crap out.

:clap: That's a great translation!