PDA

View Full Version : RS rear fender brackts broken

Tx web rider
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
How many have had their fender support brackets replaced due to stress cracked brackets

my dealer says they might not be covered under best warranty ?

after reading many posts on this i thought this was a widespread issue with the RS

did you get them replaced by BRP or out of pocket?

did you get flack from the dealer ?

mine are cracked on both sides of the rear fender at the lower bolt hole and the bend where the metal curves to meet the fender

my dealer said this is the first time they have seen this issue?

Erags
09-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Take pictures of the fender and of the cracks and email them to BRP, and good luck. They are not covered by the warranty. The pictures to BRP will speed things up, because they will see the damage.

arntufun
09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
This is a well know problem, some get them covered and some don't. It all depends on how vocal you want to get. :doorag: Most of the stuff on a Spyder is made very well and some of it is complete junk. The fender brackets are one of those junk items.

hawkiii
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Had to replace one of mine at my cost after the Chicago trip. When the other side broke I took the rear fender off. Wasn't paying for it twice.

WaltH
09-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I had mine replaced three or four times under the original warranty. There was never any hesitation about whether or not the repair would be warrantied. If your dealer has not seen this problem, he should sell more Spyders.

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 07:23 AM
:shocked: How can a part not be covered against faulty workmanship when a new vehicle warranty is in place?

vtrider
09-02-2012, 07:39 AM
I had mine replaced once under warranty. My dealer had to send the broken brackets in to BRP. I'm in my second year with the new brackets and so far they are holding up.

flamingobabe
09-02-2012, 08:02 AM
mine cracked on both sides....dealer said not warranty item....so my husband...HG...wired brushed paint off, sprayed with 3-step dye penetrant, found end of cracks and drilled hole to keep from spreding, then welded it up with low hy rod...repainted and all has been good for year and half.....

Colin
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I had mine replaced in NZ under warranty. If you get your dealer to fit them, make sure you ask them to use the revised
fitting instructions as advised by BRP. Basically what has been happening is when attaching the rear fender the dealers are tightening the support brackets and then adding the fender which tends to spring load the brackets to make it fit.
The new instruction is to basically attach the fender to the brackets while all screws etc are not completely tightened then tighten the screws on diagonals. I hope this makes sense. I am sure I have a copy of the instructions somewhere, I will try to find them.

gimpygary62
09-03-2012, 07:57 AM
They broke and now they're in the box.... along with the stock seat, muffler, airbox, splashpan, handlebars etc...

Bob Denman
09-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Soooo.... RTs have throttle body issues, and GS/RS bikes have fender bracket issues... Is that a fair swap?? :shocked:

Crisis
09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
There should be plenty of used brackets out there because many owners remove the back fender......????