PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake doesn't brake anymore

draboo
09-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Last night the parking brake on our '10 RTSE decided to stop working. It makes a sound like its working, and the light comes on stating that the brake is applied, but the cable does not actuate the rear brake.

I think I read somewhere on SL about someone investigating this and the cable fell off of the front pulley. Does anyone remember this thread? I searched and cannot find any info on this. But..my searching skills are not very good.

Thanks for any suggestions,eh?

Brad in da UP of MI>

harrypottar
09-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Here is the link (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?20795-Parking-Brake-Problem-Resolved&highlight=Parking+brake+mode). Parking brake mode

Harry

Schnauzer
09-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't have the link. Mine was off and all I did was loosen the jambnut, back off on the adjusting nut . Physically turned the rotating brake hub. Placed the cable back in the track. Tightrnrd the tension nut till the cable was tight. Set the setting nut and checked the rotation while the parking brake was being applied. I have a 2011 RT A/C the bracket that holds the guide for the cable is misaligned with the brake drum. So now I check it regularly. All is needed is a visual inspection after the cable is released to see if it is loose enough to slip off.. Not sure yet how to align all the parts without a :roflblack:"BFH"

ThreeFeet
09-01-2012, 09:27 AM
I had the same problem. you should be able to take it to the dealer and get it fixed I THINK there was a re call on it. My solution ( after having it come off the pully 3 or 4 times and Lamont fixing it once!!) was to bend a fairly thick piece of metal( something strong tho) drill hole in behind the pully real close to the top where the little barrel( at the end of the cable) is, Screw the bent (90 Deg ) metal in, make sure there is JUST enough clearance that the metal ISN"T touching the cable OR the pully. That piece will keep the cable in it's slot no matter what happens. Graphite the cable too. have to take off ALL the Right side tupper ware, open the saddle bag and unscrew all those, pull up on the mirror( gently) and let it hang then your pretty much good to go. Guess work on where to put the holes for the metal piece.( Mine has 3 holes Not very good at guessing!!!) AND that metal behind the pully is REALLY hard!!! Hope that helps.

Schnauzer
09-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I had the same problem. you should be able to take it to the dealer and get it fixed I THINK there was a re call on it. My solution ( after having it come off the pully 3 or 4 times and Lamont fixing it once!!) was to bend a fairly thick piece of metal( something strong tho) drill hole in behind the pully real close to the top where the little barrel( at the end of the cable) is, Screw the bent (90 Deg ) metal in, make sure there is JUST enough clearance that the metal ISN"T touching the cable OR the pully. That piece will keep the cable in it's slot no matter what happens. Graphite the cable too. have to take off ALL the Right side tupper ware, open the saddle bag and unscrew all those, pull up on the mirror( gently) and let it hang then your pretty much good to go. Guess work on where to put the holes for the metal piece.( Mine has 3 holes Not very good at guessing!!!) AND that metal behind the pully is REALLY hard!!! Hope that helps.

Need to look into that fix for the rear. That is mine is misaligned, ,,, thanks for posting

ThreeFeet
09-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Need to look into that fix for the rear. That is mine is misaligned, ,,, thanks for posting Not sure you can do that on the rear.:dontknow:

draboo
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM

I did what you suggested before reading your post,LOL. It works fine,now. The only thing is that I lost that dreaded "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" from not settng the pbrake. And the pbrake light blinks all the time and won't shut off. At least it won't go rolling away on us!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and Lamont for posting aboot how to take the panels off. :bowdown:

Bob Denman
09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Well you've made progress with it! :thumbup: The fact that your parking brake indicator light isn't going out should just mean that whatever switching there is under the Tupperware isn't getting the message that it's been released...
Your BEEP isn't gone; it just doesn't know that it should start singing...
Please let us know what you find, and good luck! :2thumbs:

draboo
09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Well you've made progress with it! :thumbup: The fact that your parking brake indicator light isn't going out should just mean that whatever switching there is under the Tupperware isn't getting the message that it's been released...
Your BEEP isn't gone; it just doesn't know that it should start singing...
Please let us know what you find, and good luck! :2thumbs:

Is there some way to "reset" the computer by turning the key on and off "X" amount of times, hitting the left blinker 3.5 times, hitting the mode button 6 or 9 times, running around the spyder while chanting "OOOOOOOOOMMMMM OOOOOOOOMMMMM" ???

I know I ve read it on SL somewhere..?

NancysToy
09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
It is not a computer thing. It is probably a bad or stuck parking brake switch.

Bob Denman
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Well that would be more mechanical and less silly to deal with anyway! :thumbup:
(Not that I'd be any good with advice at this point... :opps:)

draboo
09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Does anyone know where this little bugger of a parking brake switch may be located?

NancysToy
09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Does anyone know where this little bugger of a parking brake switch may be located?
It is located just below the front parking brake pulley.

draboo
09-03-2012, 10:37 AM
It is located just below the front parking brake pulley.

I was hoping you weren't gonna say ..it means tearing the panels all off again, including that dreaded mirror. :yikes:

Well, I guess I d better get to it!

Thanks again Scotty!

draboo
09-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I have succeeded! The switch has a little spring on top with a roller on it. When the cable fell off, the part of the pulley that hits that little roller to activate the switch got folded over because once the cable falls off there is nothing to stop the pull from making a complete revolution.

I "needle nose pliers"-ed it back into good enough shape where our beloved "BEEP-BEEP-BEEP" is back!

Thanks again to the rest of the team!

Brad in da UP of MI

NancysToy
09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
:thumbup: