PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue with Trailer

Nudels2u75
09-01-2012, 07:00 AM
New Bike and Trailer were just Delivered, Dealership did all the work, Hooked up trailer and I am not getting any lights, There is a mode you have to set on the function @ the Stero Controls for Trailer Mode. I have done that and for some reason everything on the bike seems to be working correctly but nothing at all on the trailer. The Can-Am plugs are a little different, but I put a test light on this and it appears to be getting power to it. This is very difficult test by yourself, as when I get off of work the shops are closed.

I also Had the dealership install back-off lights- (Wig-Wag) They also work great on the spyder. They make the lights strobe while holding down the brake and continuesly repeat sequence.

Currently I have no lights on trailer at all.

I would like to know if anybody has the Can-Am trailer and has any trouble shooting tips.

btcherm
09-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I would check your ground on the trailer and to the bike check the ball . some time it just not getting a good ground

NancysToy
09-01-2012, 08:02 AM
First, you will probably do better if you post your question in just one thread. Your answers are going to be scattered all over creation.

First, can you put the Spyder RT into reverse? If not, you probably have a blown fuse to the trailer module, and the trailer module is faulty.

As was said, did they work at the dealership. You should always check your lights before you ride, especially when towing a trailer. If they did work, I'd suspect that the trailer connector is not fully seated, with the lock ring turned and latched. This is a bit difficult to do for some people. If the ring is not latched, the connector can back out and the lights won't work.

Beyond this, I'd suggest taking the RT and trailer back to the dealer for proper troubleshooting and repair.

MarkLawson
09-01-2012, 09:04 AM
See my post on your other post about this issue for specific testing. Be careful about the collar on the trailer plug. The tips that lock into place when twisted are very easy to break off.

Schnauzer
09-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Most electrical issues with trailer lighting are "Grounding". With all the powder coating on the frame and hitch, sometimes connections are limited.

NancysToy
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Most electrical issues with trailer lighting are "Grounding". With all the powder coating on the frame and hitch, sometimes connections are limited.
That is not the case with the RT and the RT-622. The ground connection is made in the trailer connector, and the ground is hard wired to all lights. The frame/hitch is not used for this purpose.