PDA

View Full Version : Well I've installed some 2011 RT shocks...

Bob Denman
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
...and the initial reports are good! The front of the bike feels more "together" as you initiate a turn. There's also a bit less body roll. So, Thanks Josh! :2thumbs:

Now for the installation... :shocked:
There's no room to attack the upper shock mount with anything much larger than a 3/8" drive.
Once the nuts are off the mounting bolts, it takes some creative suspension cycling to find where those bolts are lined up enough to push them out.
Getting the shock untangled from the A-arms is just... :gaah: I STILL don't know how I got them out!
So it only took me an hour and a half for what could be done by almost anybody else in maybe 20 minutes; tops? :opps:

But they are a substantial improvement over my 2010 shocks... :thumbup:

bullant12
08-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the report, Bob!! I got a pair that Pitbull sold me from the "Spyderfest Edition" RT's he swapped into Elka's, but never got around to installing them. I've heard that you can actually use a $30 tool to hold the shock...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Well I've put a few more miles on them, and the 2011 shocks are a vast improvement over M.Y. 2010 boingers...
As you initiate a turn, the bike starts to heel over, but takes a set much quicker and starts to ratate in much less time than with the 2010 shocks. They deifintiely don't allow the bike to take a drastic lean as you get into the twisties, yet the ride id not at all harsh or unduly stiff.
In order to make a fair comparison; I set the 2011 shocks up on preload position 4; the same that I had on the originals.
So if these are this much better; what would Elkas do??? :shocked:

MidLifeCrisis
08-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Dang! Sounds like I found a new. NEED! And now fir some creative begging! :o

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

SpyderAnn01
08-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Bob, I also installed the 2011 shocks and they are an improvement but I'm really seriously wanting the Elkas. If Len had had some in stock yesterday I would have them today. But I'll just have to wait.

rhansen309
08-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I am saving for Elkas to be installed at Spyderfest next year. Can't wait.

spyderbirds
08-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Well I've put a few more miles on them, and the 2011 shocks are a vast improvement over M.Y. 2010 boingers...
As you initiate a turn, the bike starts to heel over, but takes a set much quicker and starts to ratate in much less time than with the 2010 shocks. They deifintiely don't allow the bike to take a drastic lean as you get into the twisties, yet the ride id not at all harsh or unduly stiff.
In order to make a fair comparison; I set the 2011 shocks up on preload position 4; the same that I had on the originals.

Bob,
The elkas were quite a change on our 2010 RT A C
I debated a lot over 11 or 12 shocks or the elkas. decide to get what i really wanted up front.
Wow what a change.
Maybe next year will follow up with a elka for rear, i just replaced the rear stocker, the elka wasnt in budget and our big fall trip demanded a new shock.

spyder stryder
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM

Bob
If you think you need more stablity into & through the turns get one of Ron's
sway bars. You will have a smooth easy ride on the straights & very good handeling
through the turns.

spyder stryder

Bob Denman
09-01-2012, 07:13 AM
I'm not so much of high performance rider as I am a.... LOW performance rider! :opps:
But I definitely have Ron's RT bar on the radar, aND a Cal-Sci windshield... The choices are just KILLING me! :shocked:

TuckMiddle
09-01-2012, 07:38 AM

I'd adjust those new shocks to max and you'll even be happier. Then multiply the smile factor by 5 and it'll be almost like you've got ELKAS.
Enjoy

Tuck

viperryder
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I,m saving my money for Elka's at Spyderfest next year aas well.:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

spyder stryder
09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm not so much of high performance rider as I am a.... LOW performance rider! :opps:
But I definitely have Ron's RT bar on the radar, aND a Cal-Sci windshield... The choices are just KILLING me! :shocked:

Then go with the bar,the lighter springs that you have now will still give you
the soft easy ride & the bar will only come into effect as you turn to give you
a flatter more stable ride into & through the turn.The stiffer springs on the
El-- will give you a harsher straight line ride that i don't think you will like.
You can get the same performance when needed & save money for gas to
ride more. Think comfort and performance best of both.
spyder stryder

Bob Denman
09-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I think that you've just about hit that dang nail right on the head! :shocked: :thumbup:
We've got all sorts of ideas spinning over there right now about colors...

Guzzi
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Go for the Elkas Bob! Amazing difference! Worth every cent of the price!

prmurat
09-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Forget about Elkas and buy a swaybar!

Netminder
09-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Go for the Elkas Bob! Amazing difference! Worth every cent of the price!
:agree: Improves the ride! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Since The Missus is happy with the ride, and I'm happy with the lack of noise from the pillion :shocked:; I'm going to be calling Ron for the next addition...
Now if the issue of colors can just get sorted out! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 10:06 AM
:2thumbs: You betcha! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Bob, for your kind of riding I think the 2011/2012 shocks would be fine. Add a stiffer swaybar when they are available, and I think you will have just what you need. I am quite happy with the 2011 shock, as compared to my 2010 versions. I'd like a little more sway control sometimes, which will be available soon. Then I can back off the preload a notch. Elkas are great, but if they are more than what you need, it is like running a turbocharger when you just putt around at 3,500 rpm at 45 mph and never get on the throttle...unnecessary. I'm proud of you for doing it yourself, too. :clap:

Bob Denman
09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
That means a lot, coming from you; Thanks! :shocked: