PDA

View Full Version : Check your oil !

Way2Fast
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
I trailered my Spyder home from the dealer last week and was about to take it for it's first ride today. I only had one last thing to check..the oil. I started the engine and let it warm up to operating temperature, as per the owners manual. When I checked the oil, it wasn't even visable on the dipstick ! Had I drove the Spyder home instead of trailering it the 70 miles, who knows what engine damage might have occurred. I called my dealer and they spoke with the tec who supposedly did the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and he said the oil was full.....some BS ! I also noticed that the coolant tank fluid level was low. Now I'm wondering if the brake recall was even addressed?? Makes me afraid to drive it.

After some haggling over the phone, the dealer said they would send me a quart of oil via UPS. How big of them ! What if it needs more than one quart? I may have saved BRP from having to replace the entire engine due to this dealers negligence. I think I should get a case of oil and a free service !!!

Anyone else have a similiar problem ??

Richard

bjt
12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
After some haggling over the phone, the dealer said they would send me a quart of oil via UPS. How big of them !

:a20: You are winning my vote for having the worst dealer in the Spyders (short) history. Seriously, I hope this is the end of the issues with your ride.

Lamonster
12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
:a20: You are winning my vote for having the worst dealer in the Spyders (short) history. Seriously, I hope this is the end of the issues with your ride.
:agree: ::) :-[ :(

2faston3
12-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Way2fast:

I think you are getting a bum steer here, UPS a quart of oil? Along with a picture of the Mechanic getting a smack in the head...

Just sayin

MetroAsian
12-18-2007, 12:49 AM
was this dealership in California by any chance?

Way2Fast
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
was this dealership in California by any chance?

Not in CA....in sunny Florida. Guess you can't expect much for the $149 prep and set up the charged me.
I should be glad they took it out of the shipping box !!

Rocketman
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
:agree: Yes, check the Oil and Tire pressure !
Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida, did the same to me ! After calling, they said the Spyder was "all checked out" I don't think so..............Fortunately it was trailered and checked before starting by me ! Left tire had 4lbs air ! Oil was low. Beware ............

Way2Fast
01-05-2008, 03:23 PM
:agree: Yes, check the Oil and Tire pressure !
Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida, did the same to me ! After calling, they said the Spyder was "all checked out" I don't think so..............Fortunately it was trailered and checked before starting by me ! Left tire had 4lbs air ! Oil was low. Beware ............

BRP has to do something to make their dealers more responsible. They should levy a fine on the dealer for every valid customer complaint received. The lack of proper dealer prep could cause physical enjury besides mechanical damage. One way to get back at your dealer is to give them bad grades on the questioneer that BRP should be sending to every owner. Enough failing grades will cause the dealer to loose his franchise.

billclemen
01-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Checked my oil yesterday and it was fine. Tire pressure was also OK. It's nice to be lucky once in a while.

TrailerTrash
02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check tonight. My dealer told me I had two gallons of gas, we trailered it to the campground where we were staying for the weekend. Rode almost all the way (5 miles) to the nearest gas station, only had 4.25 miles worth of gas! We pushed it the last 3/4 mile, with the highway patrol following us for safety. Not a great advertising moment :-[

matusky
02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I still haven't gotten mine but with all the run around I got over whenever my delivery date will be (still don't know for sure)..... I'm fully expecting my spyder to be low on oil, with one flat tire, a loose nut on the rear wheel, maybe a light burned out, with 10 miles on the odometer and no gas in the tank when I go to pick it up..... :edit:

ld271
02-20-2008, 12:08 AM
when it comes to your spyder when you get it home check everything inclued front lug nuts all fluids tire pressure and your gas guage before you ride follow your owners manual thats what its there for :bigthumbsup:

matusky
02-21-2008, 12:21 AM
when it comes to your spyder when you get it home check everything inclued front lug nuts all fluids tire pressure and your gas guage before you ride follow your owners manual thats what its there for :bigthumbsup:

:agree: and if you trailer it home AND get a shop manual before you go firing that thing off.... ALL the better!

trikester
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm still waiting for my Spyder (since early last June, 07). I'm wondering about asking the dealer to have the oil and tire pressure checked with me watching, because I will be riding it home from the dealer. If I decide to do that I will mention the posts here about those problems.

Calzonejoe
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I picked up my Spyder 2 weeks ago. When i get there , i see 2 of them out front, with a couple of people climbing all over them and what not. Ofcourse i say to myself " that cant be mine out front, they would have it in the back of the service dept". Needless to say 1 was mine, but everything looked ok when i took a quick look at it. since i put my deposit down a year ago to the day, i was so anxious to get it the hell out of there and do some riding. I didnt even think twice when they didnt go over the usuall pre-inspection pickup. i get home and notice that the back turn signal is out. i dropped the undertail and saw the signal was never even connected to the harness. So that slipped past can-am and the dealer. Oh, and both my rims were scratched to sh*t thanks to the wonderful crating job can-am does. Another one that either slipped past them again or just never bothered to mention. My dealer says he's going to warranty them. But i'm not holding my breath. So dont feel bad, my dealer sucks too !!!!!!!!!!!

incy
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
i was a lucky one....but i would like to know if the spyder has an oil light when oil is extremely low.......ie due to a problem and loses a lot of oil while riding......

sorry if this is dumb question......

Director
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
i was a lucky one....but i would like to know if the spyder has an oil light when oil is extremely low.......ie due to a problem and loses a lot of oil while riding......

There is an oil light, incy. See page 102 of your Operator's Manual. :bigthumbsup:

Cheers,

Bruce

Lamonster
03-28-2008, 10:42 AM

I had an oil light on one of my other bikes and all it told me was I just smoked my motor. :edit: Don't count on the oil light saving you from damage, especially on a dry sump motor. ::)

incy
03-29-2008, 03:10 AM
thnakyou and i definately wont rely on the light.....i dont want a broken spyder....too much fun riding her

wildwillie
03-29-2008, 07:00 AM
There is a BRP checklist(PDI pre delivery inspection) that the dealers tech. has to check off item for item and at the end he has to sign off on it that all those things were done. And you sign off also confirming it . So make them go over it with you BEFORE you leave the store. If they have overlooked anything make them fix it.wildwillie :spyder:

trikester
03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
When I was at the dealer the other day (looking at trailers, I don't have my Spyder yet) I told one of the salesmen about the reports here.

He said that they encourage every buyer to go over each and every item with the salesperson when they are taking delivery of the bike. Check the oil level, tire pressure, etc. I intend to do just that!

Indy Spyder
03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Yep. Another reason why I don't trust anyone to do my service work.

pphantom538
03-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check everything as well.

::)

matusky
04-03-2008, 10:58 PM
When I was at the dealer the other day (looking at trailers, I don't have my Spyder yet) I told one of the salesmen about the reports here.

He said that they encourage every buyer to go over each and every item with the salesperson when they are taking delivery of the bike. Check the oil level, tire pressure, etc. I intend to do just that!

Just curious....... what dealer?

trikester
04-07-2008, 02:45 PM
That was Mission Motorsports, in Irvine CA

Frank