PDA

View Full Version : Am I Loony

prider
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
:banghead:
After about 90 miles my spyder started vibrating.
Besides my Dealer I have gone to 4 different dealers. They will not test my RT-S in a manner to duplicate my concerns. They only know how to hook the bike to the computer. They say I must operate the RT-S at high RPM's. If I ride the way they say I would be speeding constantly.
I just came back from a 6000 mile plus trip from Fla. to the west including part of NW Canada. I rode in all conditions and many different styles of riding. When the bike is at its worst it is as if it is running to rich and mpg drops to 24 or lower and you can smell gasoline. In the morning if I jump on the interstate, set cruise control the bike seems O.K. the minute I make a change then the bike goes to crap and will not improve, no matter what gear or rpm. If you have a small palm orbiting sander this is what I feel in my hands, feet and bottom even tho I have an Air Hawk cushion. After a few hours my hands are numb and burning. I have pain in my elbows and upper back and numbness in both legs. I can only ride for a hour without stopping. Several times I got off and started walking away from the bike hoping someone would steal it.

The dealers answers are all the same "your bike rides the same as all other spyders" " you can have the belt adjusted to the older standers but you will have to sign a release" "you can add a after market item that might help".
My contact with Coroporate BRP was a "leave a message". Second attempt was a request for a dealer with an experienced mechanic resulted in my dealer who was the nearest one to my location. I tried to explain a second time my need more a more qualified mechanic she could have cared less.

I can't believe that I am the only person regreating their choice to buy a Cam Am. Every where I stopped people came up with questions. I told them its a nice choice if your age or health makes it impossible to ride on two wheels. If I can't get some help from Can Am or its dealers that will change. I have had this bike for a little over 2 month and over 10,000 miles, so I ride a lot and meet a lot of people.

harrypottar
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
it as been discussed on here a lot from changing your shift point to higher RPM 5,000 plus to having your dealer check both belt AND engine alignment.

One poster wrote that they had this issue and the engine was out of alignment, the dealer re-align the engine and the vibrations went away.

Has your dealer checked the obvious, belt tension and alignment. I bet they have not checked the engine for alignment.

I'm sure Scotty will know exactly what you should ask the dealer to check.

harry

CyncySpyder
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
:welcome:
The following thread may be of some help to you, good luck.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

MarkLawson
08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
You've provided a ton of information, but failed to tell us what you ride, what speeds, RPM and gears you're in when it starts, any mods. These would all be helpful to allow SpyderLovers members to help you.

I hope you get the problem resolved.

Camdenlake
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Your description sounds ignition related to me. Plug wires are common or so it seems. Maybe??:dontknow:

ARtraveler
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
:welcome: I am not one of the mechanically inclined so others will give you better information. Mark's suggestion for a little more information was very good.

btcherm
08-30-2012, 04:12 AM
sorry to hear about your problem,but you came to the righ place to find an answer.:yes::yes:

Schnauzer
08-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Visually check your belt from the rear of the Spyder. If it is running tight against the inside of the pulley. that is a good place to start. Since the pulley lacks an outside lip like all the others have. Some Techs get the belt so it stays to the right and think their done. I made the mistake, found it when trying to locate where all the whinning was coming from :opps:

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 06:37 AM
You've provided a ton of information, but failed to tell us what you ride, what speeds, RPM and gears you're in when it starts, any mods. These would all be helpful to allow SpyderLovers members to help you.

I hope you get the problem resolved.

:agree: Without this information; everybody's just shooting blanks in the dark... :shocked:

SteveMac
08-30-2012, 07:05 AM
:agree: Without this information; everybody's just shooting blanks in the dark... :shocked:

:agree:
More info is needed.

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Might as well fire up the BBQ while waiting... Anybody want a bratwurst? :bbq::bbq::bbq:

dannymax
08-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Well, maybe not EVERYBODY!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

I'll fry for this, I bet!! :banghead: http://www.ozspyderryders.com/Smileys/aaron/banghead.gif

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Danny, Danny, Danny... ;)
What on earth are we ever going to do with you??? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :thumbup:
Besides laugh? :firstplace:
Keep your fingers crossed... and mum's the word! She's out tonight! :shocked:

prider
08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
I have a 2012 CAN-AM Spyder RT-S, Pure Magnesium Metalic, 5 speed manual with reverse. Only change or modification is replaced L/front tire that went bad and Kewlmetal highway pegs. As for speed, gear and rpm that I have problem with any any and all. I have a long history of rideing different equipment large and small and I know when a motor is lugging. When People tell me that I must ride the bike at higher rpms range changing gear from 4500 to 6000 rpms this puts me in 1st for about 4 seconds 2nd for around 3seconds and 3rd I'm around 45 mph with every cop in town waiting for me. And the GPM sucks, 24 or less. This machine is sold as a TOURING BIKE. All of this may be nice to talk about but the problem occurs no matter what gear, or rpm. I have ridden the bike as high as 8000rpm 5th gear and over 100mph and it still vibrates. Yes I also experience harmonic vibrations at different ranges due to the belt; this is not what I am refering to. I believe the problem to be computer or sensor related. When it starts it vibrates at idel.
I guess I want 2 things the opportunity to vent and some way to find a dealer or someome from the company that really cares. Someone that doesn't assume that I am totally stupid and expecting things to better then they should be.
I have owned a Yamaha, Kawaskai, Harley Davidson and now a Spyder and no they do naturaly vibirate to the point of irration. Maybe 40 years ago this was true but not anymore. When people respond to persons like myself with implications we are to soft and expect to much you only help the dealers not solve the problem. If only 1 in a thousand have problems of this type it is still way to many for a machine with no safety equipment ie. seat belts, roll cages and air bags neither should one expect these items. Numb hands, sore elbows, pain in the neck and shoulder area and numbness in lower legs does not make a safe ride especially on interstate highways while maintaining pace with traffic traveling 80 or above.

prider
08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
I realize my tone may need changing. However when we spend over $27,000 for something surely we can expect a little more.
When the dealers continue to ignore their customers and the manfacturer allows or even condones this behave we have little recourse but to complain and this should be one fuction of forums like this. As I have read many thread on this forum one corporate response is repeated.....we have started a file. Boy to know they have started a file really makes me feel better when traveling the interstate system or mountain roades ie. Bearclaw Mountain or Tail of the Dragon.

Be Smart......Ride Safe
Tom

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Somewhere in the darkest recesses of my feeble mind :shocked:, I recall a thread about an interference issue with some parts up front on the RTs that could definitely cause vibrations... :gaah:
But that's all that I've got! :opps:
Somebody else in here probably know right where it can be found.
I believe that the frunk needed to be pulled in order to get to all of the guts to find it...
Shifting at rpm levels from 4500 to 6000?
As long as you're keeping the rpms up over 3500, your clutches are fully engaged and not slipping... :thumbup: Anything more might just be considered "frisky"! ;)

dannymax
08-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Danny, Danny, Danny... ;)
What on earth are we ever going to do with you??? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :thumbup:
Besides laugh? :firstplace:
Keep your fingers crossed... and mum's the word! She's out tonight! :shocked:

Those things just fall out of my face, I can't stop them!! :opps::opps::opps:

Good luck! Mmmmm....mmmmm....mum!! :thumbup:

boborgera
08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
I have a 2012 CAN-AM Spyder RT-S, Pure Magnesium Metalic, 5 speed manual with reverse. Only change or modification is replaced L/front tire that went bad and Kewlmetal highway pegs. As for speed, gear and rpm that I have problem with any any and all. I have a long history of rideing different equipment large and small and I know when a motor is lugging. When People tell me that I must ride the bike at higher rpms range changing gear from 4500 to 6000 rpms this puts me in 1st for about 4 seconds 2nd for around 3seconds and 3rd I'm around 45 mph with every cop in town waiting for me. And the GPM sucks, 24 or less. This machine is sold as a TOURING BIKE. All of this may be nice to talk about but the problem occurs no matter what gear, or rpm. I have ridden the bike as high as 8000rpm 5th gear and over 100mph and it still vibrates. Yes I also experience harmonic vibrations at different ranges due to the belt; this is not what I am refering to. I believe the problem to be computer or sensor related. When it starts it vibrates at idel.
I guess I want 2 things the opportunity to vent and some way to find a dealer or someome from the company that really cares. Someone that doesn't assume that I am totally stupid and expecting things to better then they should be.
I have owned a Yamaha, Kawaskai, Harley Davidson and now a Spyder and no they do naturaly vibirate to the point of irration. Maybe 40 years ago this was true but not anymore. When people respond to persons like myself with implications we are to soft and expect to much you only help the dealers not solve the problem. If only 1 in a thousand have problems of this type it is still way to many for a machine with no safety equipment ie. seat belts, roll cages and air bags neither should one expect these items. Numb hands, sore elbows, pain in the neck and shoulder area and numbness in lower legs does not make a safe ride especially on interstate highways while maintaining pace with traffic traveling 80 or above.

I would check for a bad[arcing] spark plug wire, But i would think by now that if a wire was arcing you'll be lucky to keep the engine running. I think it worth a shot to check it anyway.:dontknow:

''Re'' reading you post i see where a front tire went bad, Could be something in the suspension is the problem.??

dannymax
08-30-2012, 08:03 AM

This is way, way different from what I'm feeling....I hope it can get it sorted out.

viperryder
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
One of our club members may have had the same problems as you. Bought a new 2012 LavaBronze and had very bad vibrations. Complained to dealer and was not able to locate the problem at first. Changed posution of shocks had him ride another Spyder, no help. FINALLY they were able to look at the engine and found out that when they manufactured the Spyder, they did not SHIM the engine. Dealer has orderd shims and seems to help his probloem. Owner stated that they thought this was the only one to have this problem, Well maybe NOT. Hope this helps.:clap::clap::clap:

manoman14
08-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Had my Spyder at the dealer yesterday so they could change the oil and install new lower panel. When they were finished they test drove to warm up properly and check oil level. Thet then asked me to make an appointment so they could have the bike all day so they could check if the engine was making contact with the frame someplace. Hell, I never even realized that it vibrated. Service manager said that BRP told them that if any vibrations were felt in handlebars or foot pegs to check motor mounts to see if they had settled and may need shimming. My bike is out of factory warrantee, but BRP is still picking up the tab. :2thumbs:

Lamonster
08-30-2012, 08:43 AM
One of our club members may have had the same problems as you. Bought a new 2012 LavaBronze and had very bad vibrations. Complained to dealer and was not able to locate the problem at first. Changed posution of shocks had him ride another Spyder, no help. FINALLY they were able to look at the engine and found out that when they manufactured the Spyder, they did not SHIM the engine. Dealer has orderd shims and seems to help his probloem. Owner stated that they thought this was the only one to have this problem, Well maybe NOT. Hope this helps.:clap::clap::clap:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50517&d=1343688965

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Lamont! :2thumbs: I knew that I saw "something, somewhere". :opps:

dannymax
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Lamont! :2thumbs: I knew that I saw "something, somewhere". :opps:

Same memory I got Bob....REALLY GOOD....just a little short!! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 08:54 AM
We definitely went to different Schools together!:thumbup: :shocked: :hun:
She's out on the road now... pulling tools down to get ready! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_3.gif

prider
08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I appricate the responces. I will continue to try and find a knowledgable dealer.

Ride Smart...................Ride Safe
Tom

prider
08-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I would check for a bad[arcing] spark plug wire, But i would think by now that if a wire was arcing you'll be lucky to keep the engine running. I think it worth a shot to check it anyway.:dontknow:

''Re'' reading you post i see where a front tire went bad, Could be something in the suspension is the problem.??

No I hit a concrete curb on a concrete road (same color)while making a left hand turn which broke the side wall causing a small blister.

Thanks Tom

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Whatever the cause; here's to hoping that it's found and fixed SOON! :2thumbs: :cheers:

boborgera
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
No I hit a concrete curb on a concrete road (same color)while making a left hand turn which broke the side wall causing a small blister.

Thanks Tom

Just the same, If you hit a curb hard enough to blister a tire , I would check the wheel and the front end,
Something has to be causing the vibes. You have to look at any possibly.
It might just be a bent wheel.?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Good point; and good catch, Bob! :thumbup:

revjvegas
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Just the same, If you hit a curb hard enough to blister a tire , I would check the wheel and the front end,
Something has to be causing the vibes. You have to look at any possibly.
It might just be a bent wheel.?:dontknow:
That's a very good point. Any time an incident occurs involving the front suspension like that it should be checked.

But I believe the OP also mentioned in a previous post that he's got the vibration even at start up when the bike is sitting idle.

I'll be interesting to see the result on this one if it is in fact the shim issue with the motor making contact with the frame.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

:popcorn:

A1A
08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
:banghead:
After about 90 miles my spyder started vibrating.
Besides my Dealer I have gone to 4 different dealers. They will not test my RT-S in a manner to duplicate my concerns. They only know how to hook the bike to the computer. They say I must operate the RT-S at high RPM's. If I ride the way they say I would be speeding constantly.
I just came back from a 6000 mile plus trip from Fla. to the west including part of NW Canada. I rode in all conditions and many different styles of riding. When the bike is at its worst it is as if it is running to rich and mpg drops to 24 or lower and you can smell gasoline. In the morning if I jump on the interstate, set cruise control the bike seems O.K. the minute I make a change then the bike goes to crap and will not improve, no matter what gear or rpm. If you have a small palm orbiting sander this is what I feel in my hands, feet and bottom even tho I have an Air Hawk cushion. After a few hours my hands are numb and burning. I have pain in my elbows and upper back and numbness in both legs. I can only ride for a hour without stopping. Several times I got off and started walking away from the bike hoping someone would steal it.

The dealers answers are all the same "your bike rides the same as all other spyders" " you can have the belt adjusted to the older standers but you will have to sign a release" "you can add a after market item that might help".
My contact with Coroporate BRP was a "leave a message". Second attempt was a request for a dealer with an experienced mechanic resulted in my dealer who was the nearest one to my location. I tried to explain a second time my need more a more qualified mechanic she could have cared less.

I can't believe that I am the only person regreating their choice to buy a Cam Am. Every where I stopped people came up with questions. I told them its a nice choice if your age or health makes it impossible to ride on two wheels. If I can't get some help from Can Am or its dealers that will change. I have had this bike for a little over 2 month and over 10,000 miles, so I ride a lot and meet a lot of people.

Has any of the Dealers service manager taken your spyder for a ride? I'm not a mechanic but this sounds like the fuel injection needs to be syncronized between the cylinders. (Vibration at all rpms, low gas mileage, vibration felt in foot pegs & handlebars)

Bob Denman
08-31-2012, 10:27 AM
You learn something every day! I always knew that carbs had to be "synched"; but I figured that EFI would take care of all of that by itself without human hands to monkey up the process... Thanks!

dannymax
08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
You learn something every day! I always knew that carbs had to be "synched"; but I figured that EFI would take care of all of that by itself without human hands to monkey up the process... Thanks!

I also am curious about sync....pokeing around the other day for sync nipples or caps or somewhere to attach the carbtune but couldn't find anything. :dontknow:

TexasSpyder
08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
I know some riders with the Yamaha Roadliner V twins (fuel injected) had to do the sync process on their bikes. Don't know about :spyder2:'s though?

J. D.