PDA

View Full Version : What's the real capacity

blackbeauty
08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
In reading the spec page of my owners manual, it states the fuel tank capacity is 6.6 gallons. I got curious about that during my last outing and wondered about the actual useable capacity. With the filler neck located on the front left corner in what appears to be a position lower than some protions of the tank - how much fuel can I actually get onboard? I think the "design" capacity may be 6.6 gallons, but the actual useable capacity is less than that. Can somebody set me straight. Since I compute distance between fill ups using the trip meter and average MPG, would be nice to know how much actual fuel I am carrying. Dumb question? probably. So, clue me in. Thanks.

CyncySpyder
08-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Teddy and I have run his 2011 RT-S (Teds Red Sled) dead empty twice now, and both times, 5.7 gal was the most it would take:thumbup:

Boyd2010RT
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I ran out once - about 25 yards from the pump - it took 6.03 gals to fill up FULL

ARtraveler
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
185 miles and 5.8 was about my best. I have never run the tank dry. There are a couple mileage threads that discuss this if you want more detail. Use the search function.

blackbeauty
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
This is exactly the information I was looking for - actual hands on experience. I know the engineers draw stuff up that looks great, but the actual operational experience shows it don't always work the way it's drawn. So I suspect that my actual capacity is between 5.5 and 6 gallons. Right now I'm averaging 33.5 mpg most of the time - both one up and two up with luggage. That gives me a good idea about my practical range.

boborgera
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
6 Gallons, So if you don't want to walk to the nearest gas station ,
Treat it as a 5.5 gallon tank'nojoke

Starrider
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Judge our fuel stops more on saddle miles than fuel consumption. Usually everyone in our group is ready for a stop somewhere around 100 mi. So we're usually looking for fuel and a stretch. Never have been fond of testing fuel capacity to the limit.

NancysToy
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Approximately 6.0 gallons is the usable capacity. That leaves room for the necessary head space and the tanks irregularities and opening position. Filling that full is a gamble, though, and could overflow to the emissions canister under certain conditions. On the opposite end of the tank, the low fuel light should come on with about 1.4 gallons remaining.

Bob Denman
08-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I guess that I need to log more miles before the nervousness sets in... :shocked: I've never seen the low fuel light; does it light up the dash like a big old pumpkin, or is it something a bit more subtle?

Dib52
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I guess that I need to log more miles before the nervousness sets in... :shocked: I've never seen the low fuel light; does it light up the dash like a big old pumpkin, or is it something a bit more subtle?

Its subtle Bob, just a little orange gas pump in the upper right by the tach, nothing like the rear cargo open in the center after your jumper fix, lol!
Best I've had is 5.22 gal with the light on for about 10-15 miles, total distance was about 160mi.

Littlebadwolf
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Regardless of what kind of mileage you get you should always carry a REDA can or 2 of extra gas for emergencies...I found out the hard way when I was riding thru the Poconos on the way to SITA...They don't have gas stations there...Thank God I had the extra gas loaded up...

flybuddy
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Just last week the light came on just as I was turning into the gas station.
I took 6.06. It looks full at 5.0 but I kept trickling it in to see if I could get
It to overflow. I gave up,
could have gotten more in there.

NancysToy
08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
........could have gotten more in there.
More likely it was going into your emissions canister by then. nojoke

rhansen309
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
We usually are two up and go about two hours. When we stop it is at gas station where I fill up. I don't really track mileage and two hours gives us enough riding time and enough gas left. I guess I need to start tracking mileage, I am getting interested in it. Thanks.

blackbeauty
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
I appreciate all the experience and tips. Wife and I usually try to stop every 2 hrs regardless of miles traveled. However, there have been times when it's a long way between pit stops and I kinda wanted a sense of how far I might push it if need be and still have some cushion. Right now, I've been filling up at approximately 125 miles. The digital read out says 1/2 tank, but that's not true. So I been figuring 30mpg and 5 gallons = "as far as I want to push things=. Actual mileage is more like 33.5 and sometimes 35, but I'll just think 30 to be on the safe side. During early summer I go out with 5 friends, all two wheelers, and we take a two week trek someplace. My range between tanks is less than theirs so we might have to make "some adjustments" for the old guy on the spyder.

Thanks again for the response. I learn something new everyday.

AbNormy
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Trying to get uniform fill up so as to compute actual mileage and find it almost impossible to fill it up to the bottom of the neck. :dontknow: is that because before it gets to the bottom of the neck its going to the canister? seems like 5.5 gals is the most i've managed to get in there.

More likely it was going into your emissions canister by then. nojoke

donnellpj
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I rolled into my local Shell one night after a ride, no bars on the digi. I literally think I was on fumes!

Filled the tank with 5.6 gallons with 156 on the trip meter.

Knock on wood, I still have never run her dry, but that was a close one I think. Haha!

NancysToy
08-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Trying to get uniform fill up so as to compute actual mileage and find it almost impossible to fill it up to the bottom of the neck. :dontknow: is that because before it gets to the bottom of the neck its going to the canister? seems like 5.5 gals is the most i've managed to get in there.
It's entirely possible. When I fill, it ends up a bit below the fill ring when it starts to spit out the vent slots (on a slow fill).

Ga Blue Knight
08-29-2012, 05:03 AM
When My RT SE gas light comes on I can put about 4.8 gal in the tank since the capacity is really around 6 usable gal that leave a potential reserve of 1.2 gal. I get around 28-29 mpg two up with bags packed and around 29-31 solo. I do like a fast ride though!

Bob Denman
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I throw fuel in until the nozzle shuts off, and then I just bring it up to the next even-dollar amount.
About 4.3 gallons has been the highest total fuel intake so far... I'm going to have to stretch it a little bit! :thumbup:

fyrertuck
08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
In reading the spec page of my owners manual, it states the fuel tank capacity is 6.6 gallons. I got curious about that during my last outing and wondered about the actual useable capacity. With the filler neck located on the front left corner in what appears to be a position lower than some protions of the tank - how much fuel can I actually get onboard? I think the "design" capacity may be 6.6 gallons, but the actual useable capacity is less than that. Can somebody set me straight. Since I compute distance between fill ups using the trip meter and average MPG, would be nice to know how much actual fuel I am carrying. Dumb question? probably. So, clue me in. Thanks.

Well I can tell you one thing I did.

I replaced the fuel line / from the tank to the canister. I run the fuel line up the left side, then up and over / next to the air cleaner box and then back to the canister. Yes I did put the fuel line in a plastic sleeve from the auto store. This lets me put more fuel in without the fuel smell. 5.0 to 5.5 gal

Now I have a small orange funnel that I cut a small amount off the end so it fit under the seat by the filler neck. This helps me fill faster and get more it.

Next if I just could back off the throttle I would have better MPG or should I just drop some weight???:banghead: