PDA

View Full Version : Security and theft counter measures

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Surfin' around reading some of the posts as I make a decision to become a Spyder owner, I was reading about a theft in QC, although I know it happens everywhere...

My question is, aside for serial numbers on the frame and motor, has any aftermarket start ups been addressing this niche market or theft deterrence and property protection?

As the Spyder culture grows, so will the demand for parts....and shady characters....

JR

Jeriatric
08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Surfin' around reading some of the posts as I make a decision to become a Spyder owner, I was reading about a theft in QC, although I know it happens everywhere...

My question is, aside for serial numbers on the frame and motor, has any aftermarket start ups been addressing this niche market or theft deterrence and property protection?

As the Spyder culture grows, so will the demand for parts....and shady characters....

JR

Other than tying it down with a logging chain, good insurance is about the best we can do. nojoke

harrypottar
08-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Theft happens, you just have to make it harder so they move on to some ones else.

You can install alarms like Gorilla alarm low jack etc, the key are coded.

I'm not so much worried about theft but more about harmless tempering with while I'm in a dinner or DQ

harry

Bob Denman
08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Your best deterrent to losing your stuff to :cus:, is vigilence! :thumbup: Know where you're parking, park where you can see it. Take the Key out of it. lock the bars to one side, lock the storage compartments.
Unless you've got a Trunk Monkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

IGETAROUND
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Bob,

Now you know trunk monkeys are not legal in all 50 states:yikes::roflblack::ohyea:

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Other than tying it down with a logging chain, good insurance is about the best we can do. nojoke

When I do buy one, a first chore will be to adapt some of the lessons learned from riding a custom motorcycle.....for anyone now curious - secondary bypass for the ignition, disk locks and even a proximity tamper alarm....

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Theft happens, you just have to make it harder so they move on to some ones else.

You can install alarms like Gorilla alarm low jack etc, the key are coded.

I'm not so much worried about theft but more about harmless tempering with while I'm in a dinner or DQ

harry

I guess thieves don't associate Spyder riders as they would someone riding a Harley....to me, pain is pain, don't mess with someone's machine.

Netminder
08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
They are a lot harder to steal then a 2 wheeler, as they can not be pushed around to easy. that being said, if they want it they will get it. Good insurance is still the best bet! I have a scorpion alarm, more for the proximity sensor then anything else.

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Your best deterrent to losing your stuff to :cus:, is vigilence! :thumbup: Know where you're parking, park where you can see it. Take the Key out of it. lock the bars to one side, lock the storage compartments.
Unless you've got a Trunk Monkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

I don't know what a Trunk Monkey is but I do know that deterrents do discourage opportunistic punks.

I'm thinking etching parts with an ID tag may be a good thing as it will render the parts useless for the used parts market.

Arr MiHardies
08-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Watch the video to discover what a trunk monkey is. Funny stuff. Edit: There's at least 3 other trunk monkey commercials in the series. Funny stuff. Edit #2. Apparently I think the videos are funny stuff. :P

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
They are a lot harder to steal then a 2 wheeler, as they can not be pushed around to easy. that being said, if they want it they will get it. Good insurance is still the best bet! I have a scorpion alarm, more for the proximity sensor then anything else.

That's very true as far as being only able to make it as difficult as possible. They steal high end cars daily so when there is enough determination there will always be a way.

Bob Denman
08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Arr,
He hasn't learned about me yet... :roflblack:
I'm pretty much the Court Jester... at your service! :joke:

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Watch the video to discover what a trunk monkey is. Funny stuff. There's at least 3 other trunk monkey commercials in the series. Funny stuff.

I may just have to figure out how to get the dog to go riding will me. As a pup he sat in the saddlebag but now at 75lbs even the Spyder bags won't hold him.

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Arr,
He hasn't learned about me yet... :roflblack:
I'm pretty much the Court Jester... at your service! :joke:

Being a Spyder newbie, for all I knew it could have been something in Spyder speak.....:pray:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-26-2012, 03:17 PM

I had to run with my :ani29: and jump start it once and was successful...Try that with a Gold Wing, HD or other touring bike. I think they are much easier to move JMHO.....Mike...:thumbup:

Jeriatric
08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I had to run with my :ani29: and jump start it once and was successful...Try that with a Gold Wing, HD or other touring bike. I think they are much easier to move JMHO.....Mike...:thumbup:

PICTURES!!!! :roflblack::roflblack:

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 03:35 PM

I've jump started my fatboy a few times over the years....but always after finding a decent incline either in a parking lot or street. Wouldn't even attempt it on a level road......

Littlebadwolf
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Anybody that steals one can't start it without the key with the computer chip inside it..Best they can do is part it out...A minor deterrent...but it's better than nothing.

daveinva
08-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Anybody that steals one can't start it without the key with the computer chip inside it..Best they can do is part it out...A minor deterrent...but it's better than nothing.

This. And how successful is that? The aftermarket for parts is so small, and all the serious work is done at BRP dealers, what are they going to part out-- the tupperware? Big haul there, guys.

It's too big/complex for casual opportunity thieves, too obscure for professional thieves. Yes, they do get stolen, but NOTHING like other bikes or scoots. If you're unlucky, you have insurance to take care of it.

I park my Spyder and a Vespa in my driveway. The Vespa is always handlebar locked, it has a grip lock, and it has a ginormous chain through the back wheel locked around a metal fence. The Spyder? I take the key out and go inside.

Netminder
08-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes I push mine around the basement, but they key is the key! Not to be repetitive, with the brake on and the steering locked, there won't be much pushing done. But true under the right condition they are easy to move,

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 07:24 PM

How about disk locks? Anything like that available yet?

jScotD
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
How about disk locks? Anything like that available yet?

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/list.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1003

CDNSpyder
08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/list.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1003

Thanks, gotta love the "Motorcycle and scooter security for moderate crime areas" reference....this just confirms that should I trade the bike in, to hold onto the disk and serpentine locks I currently own for my ride. Not like the dealership would give me anything in value for them anyway....

NancysToy
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
.....On a different but related note it was funny watching my brother get the Spyder started and move it to the lot while I was checking us in. He knew to turn the IPS but was immediately stopped in his tracks as to getting it started. I couldn't resist just watching for a few minutes while he fumbled about. :roflblack:
:roflblack: Reminds me of when I took my 1953 F-100 in to get some tires. The poor young kid that went out to get it and put it on the rack, couldn't figure how to start it. Iy has a starter button on the dash (unmarked). After I showed him that, he called me back...didn't know how to drive three-on-a-tree. We just need to reverse the technology a bit and our rides will be safe. ;)

CyncySpyder
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I may just have to figure out how to get the dog to go riding will me. As a pup he sat in the saddlebag but now at 75lbs even the Spyder bags won't hold him.

Ga Blue Knight
08-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Right now most of the Spyders out there are under some type of warrantee through a reputable dealer. As the years go by and more and more Spyders are sold used with high miles and no warrantee, those little computers and DPS units will get more and more desirable. It will then be more attractive for thieves to part out a stolen Spyder and sell them to a less than reputable secondary repair market. The consumer, always looking for a good deal will supply the cash to drive this. The countermeasure for this is to support your dealer and realize that great buy on a used part on E Bay may be from a Spyderlovers stolen Spyder.

CDNSpyder
08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
:roflblack: Reminds me of when I took my 1953 F-100 in to get some tires. The poor young kid that went out to get it and put it on the rack, couldn't figure how to start it. Iy has a starter button on the dash (unmarked). After I showed him that, he called me back...didn't know how to drive three-on-a-tree. We just need to reverse the technology a bit and our rides will be safe. ;)

You mean like introducing a choke switch - the old style pull out type that stuck out of the dash? ;)

JR

CDNSpyder
08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Right now most of the Spyders out there are under some type of warrantee through a reputable dealer. As the years go by and more and more Spyders are sold used with high miles and no warrantee, those little computers and DPS units will get more and more desirable. It will then be more attractive for thieves to part out a stolen Spyder and sell them to a less than reputable secondary repair market. The consumer, always looking for a good deal will supply the cash to drive this. The countermeasure for this is to support your dealer and realize that great buy on a used part on E Bay may be from a Spyderlovers stolen Spyder.

It's only a matter of time...supply and demand... I agree that it all comes down to the Spyder owner to ensure that parts including used parts are from either someone who is upgrading or from a legit supplier....

I think I will etch as many parts as possible...if thieves realize that there is no money to be made, they will find easier pickings elsewhere....

Some of the etching kits I've seen over the years include stickers to warn people that parts are etched for tracking purposes...

JR

CDNSpyder
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Are really cool warning stickers like that available at the dealership or through private supplier? I like it!

spydaman60
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Bob,

Now you know trunk monkeys are not legal in all 50 states:yikes::roflblack::ohyea:

especially new jersey! $250.00 first offense!:roflblack::roflblack: