PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would buy a new RTS right now, if it came out with a bigger engine?

ARtraveler
08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Here is something to ponder.

First: I am wondering how many of you would vote with your checkbook and purchase a RT Limited if it came with a 1500-1800 cc engine. I am talking first year--premier edition here. No wait three years until they "get the bugs out".

Second: how many of you would jump on a Honda if they came out with a reverse trike Goldwing, or an actual Goldwing trike model that would be covered with a factory warranty. This choice is based on the fact that there is no BRP Spyder to choose from.

Lets leave the other brands out for now.

My vote would be yes on the first choice. I would seriously consider the 2nd choice but it would depend on what they are offering.

Bob Denman
08-25-2012, 02:04 PM
It might be tempting, but I'm still gonna dance with the girl that I brought to this party! :thumbup:

Jeriatric
08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Here is something to ponder.

First: I am wondering how many of you would vote with your checkbook and purchase a RT Limited if it came with a 1500-1800 cc engine. Don't find the current engine to be lacking in power. Perhaps a more powerful engine would be more quiet but, that wouldn't be enough reason for me to write a BIG check. I am talking first year--premier edition here. No wait three years until they "get the bugs out".

Second: how many of you would jump on a Honda if they came out with a reverse trike Goldwing, or an actual Goldwing trike model that would be covered with a factory warranty. This choice is based on the fact that there is no BRP Spyder to choose from. Lack of warranty is all that stopped me from writing a check previously.

Lets leave the other brands out for now.

My vote would be yes on the first choice. I would seriously consider the 2nd choice but it would depend on what they are offering.

:dontknow: :chat:

After thought. Speaking of warranties. Having bought B.E.S.T.+ for 3 years, and seeing what George - BR1 - has gone through - brings me little comfort. Resolve that and the other widely known problem and I would be a Very Happy Spyder ryder.

harrypottar
08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Love my limited would have to be a 1800 six cylinder to even peak my interest :roflblack:

Arr MiHardies
08-25-2012, 03:29 PM
No to either. I don't need a bigger engine. A sixth gear and better fuel efficiency would make it tempting though.

NancysToy
08-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I have no immediate interest in either. I wouldn't want to chance even worse gas mileage (and fuel range) with a larger engine, and a Honda is no guaranteee of something that is somehow better. Both would need to be proven for me to bite at either...and my current Spyder would need to be worn out. It is quite adequate for my needs.

Sarge707
08-25-2012, 04:46 PM
No to either. I don't need a bigger engine. A sixth gear and better fuel efficiency would make it tempting though.

:agree: BRP can get 130 HP out of the 998 whenever they want (They Own Rotax?)

A sixth Gear and a Gallon more Gas would help a lot on a trip! :clap:

Ivorspyder
08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I would not change to a Goldwing if they copied the Spyder.Goldwing has their niche in the market and I enjoyed riding the 2 wheeler motorcycle.
BRP set up the Spyder whichnI think is great, so I would stick with it.At this stage I would not buy the 1800 engine.I just got the RT Limited and am happy with that.:yes::clap:

Camdenlake
08-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I would likely go with #1. Looking for second spyder anyway that would be perfect. I do find that with some more miles the power has gotten better. Just a longer break in pherhaps.

Rayelljay
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
No to each offering with one caveat...not a larger engine but maybe a nice three cylinder.
I rode Triumph Tridents for years and I loved the power delivery and smoothness of the engine.

Bob Denman
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I am just a little surprised at what I am hearing... :shocked:

NancysToy
08-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I am just a little surprised at what I am hearing... :shocked:

Why???

leenanj
08-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Four cylinder Rotax and shaft drive could coax me into a trade in.

edbremer
08-25-2012, 06:23 PM
I would consider it, especially with a shaft drive.

soaring hawk
08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
A. Goldwing shaft and reverse trike yes reliability number one.
when BRP can get the dealership service like cowtowns and all the glitches fixed ,also shaft drive, will I drop any more cash.

Mr. White
08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
My Honda dealer is closed on Monday, so I will have to wait until Tuesday. I will buy a GW w/kit or GW built by Honda. I won't have another BRP product of any type, shape, number of wheels or engine size.

However, as a fair minded and kind person, I am going to ride BR1 until he breaks down again, get him fixed and then he is gone!

Alternate plan #2. I have the BEST warranty, good until March 2016. Ride BR1, keep fixing him until Feb. 2016 and then sell him, or until my trailer hauling him back and forth to the dealer wears out. What to do, what to do.

:spyder2:

GypsyBill
08-25-2012, 06:50 PM
No to both... happy with the reverse trike and power is fine with me at this point in my life... no conventional trikes for me, don't like 'em no matter the brand. If I ever go to another ride, it will be a two wheel HD again.

Jeriatric
08-25-2012, 07:03 PM
My Honda dealer is closed on Monday, so I will have to wait until Tuesday. I will buy a GW w/kit or GW built by Honda. I won't have another BRP product of any type, shape, number of wheels or engine size.

However, as a fair minded and kind person, I am going to ride BR1 until he breaks down again, get him fixed and then he is gone!

Alternate plan #2. I have the BEST warranty, good until March 2016. Ride BR1, keep fixing him until Feb. 2016 and then sell him, or until my trailer hauling him back and forth to the dealer wears out. What to do, what to do.

You mean you're not tired of

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCoplQ2zEA3b1Sdoa-hAeKJSKlCvHuuEMr9892y1y_sQvCGcoQag

:joke:

edrn
08-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe a larger engine would be more efficient at pushing the big piece of Tupperware. Sixth gear would be nice. I'd be very interested. Ed

Ga Blue Knight
08-25-2012, 07:36 PM
No to both options. I like the V twin Rotax with all it's quirks. I like the RT-S so much I sold my '09 RS and just bought a new 2012 three weeks ago, in spite of whatever new item BRP will introduce in September. I believe that inspite of all of the issues reported here for the most part thousands of RT's and RS's are performing well with no major issues. I feel for those with problems as I have had problem bikes in the past. I don't think a bigger motor or gas tank really addresses the issues of electrical glitches and bad dealer set up and response to malfunctions.

gftempl
08-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Agreed. I'm fine with the power as is but a bigger tank (or better mpg) would be appreciated.

rcturner
08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I traded an 09 Goldwing for my Spyder. I liked the Goldwing very much but, after many years and many miles of riding bikes with much stronger engines and more relaxed riding, I really like my Spyder. It has warts and a lot of personality. BRP seems to be a PINA to work with and not very interested in good customer relations but, it is fun to ride and, good or bad, it will get you involved in many, many conversations with friends you never knew you had. I like the current arrangement. "No" to both options.

Blue Star
08-25-2012, 08:22 PM
not for the engine size. The power is just fine for me, even if it is slower than my RS. I want the RT for the comfort and cargo capabilities. A bigger gas tank would be nice. Don't know enough about the Goldwing, but would be interested. Only think keeping me from the RT is the funds to buy.

phj
08-25-2012, 09:27 PM

I agree, my job this winter will be deciding what manufacturer and model my next bike will be. I do enjoy riding the Spyder, but BRP has no idea what it customer supports means. I have heard all types of promises; however, they have yet to fulfill even one thus far. I know there are a lot of Spyders that are running trouble free, well that to me means they should be able to find the time to correct problems on the so called "few" that are experiencing issues. My Vote if I was to buy tomorrow would be a Gold Wing.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-25-2012, 11:20 PM
I have read and seen info about an engineer in Kentucky name of Hannigan who has designed and is manufactoring a bolt on front end similar to our Spyders (reverse trike) (also a quad set-up). This is for the 1800 series Gold Wings only. I know it's not factory buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it's certainly interesting. I think the kit is approx. $8k......and when I had my Wing I was always avg 46 mpg with the 1800, with absolutely zero problems.....I can't say that now.......Mike............I do love my Spyder though....:thumbup:

GloryRyders
08-26-2012, 05:33 AM
"Glory" has all the "pick up" and power that I want or need..................besides, to many $$$$$ invested on the farkles.:roflblack:

chris56
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM
on my roads here the engine is strong enough - wouldn`t change it (most of the ryders would not be able to handle more than 100 HPs) - without more Grip on the back it would not help anything
I want a Sport-Touring Version with maybe better brakes on the front (brembo?) - and a adjustable VSS system - new Design of the fenders and a 2in2 exhaust ..

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=341

bodymanpainter
08-26-2012, 09:39 AM

I would buy a Gold Wing trike in a heartbeat if Honda would build it and warranty it.
I like the RT's but until BRP makes some major changes they won't get any more of
my money!
The Gold Wing trike will more than likely be my next bike, but I will keep watching
the RT until I am ready to buy ( next year).

prmurat
08-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes to both!!!

ruthie
08-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't care about a bigger engine, WE NEED BETTER GAS MILAGE!!!!

ARtraveler
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
AND THE SURVEY SAID!!!!!!

I let this run 24 hours to get enough answers for a statistical sample (27). The outcome surprised me a little--but here are the results.

Question #1: Would you buy a bigger engined RT--NOW?
Yes: 7 replies No: 20 replies

Question #2: Would you buy a Goldwing reverse trike if available and BRP did not have the version with a larger engine?
Yes: 8 replies No: 19 replies

That's 2 to 1 against either based on the replies.

Bob Denman
08-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm kind of surprised since there always seems to be an awful lot of drumbeating for more power...

Shaku
08-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I just got back from a 825 mile ride from Sat. to today. Sorry I missed the 24 window. In any event, put another in the "would buy new one if more power" column. I don't think power could be increased without addressing the belt engineering or going to a shaft. If I lived in the flatlands, I might also think there is enough power. Up here in the mountains, it isn't even a close call. Coming home yesterday, I hit the throttle stops perhaps 3 times trying to keep up with traffic in the passes. There isn't a 250cc bike in town that can't wax me from a stop light. I disagree with a 6th gear unless the engine design is changed. It needs to be turning to be happy.

Dragonrider
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda forgot how to build a bike when they dumped the Valkyrie. I can't see having foot room with the GL motor. Now with the K16 under the hood, or Harley's V-rod - that would be a different story.

Buy another Can-Am? With the nearest decent dealer 70 miles away? Even with more HP out of the Rotax? Nope. In the meantime, my 2010 RTS works just fine.

sealfloorboards
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
This is an easy one. NO to either one! Miss Vicky and I will be joined for quite awhile. I put to much time and money into my version to even think about changing. You'll be seeing this orange Spyder out there for quite awhile. My goal is to roll past 100k with the original engine in place and keep going. :ohyea: Besides, Honda, been there done that. The only possibble replacement is pictured below and since I have't hit the Lotto yet I'll be keeping my Spyder. Actually I would just add that to the garage and not replace the Spyder. Wouldn't that look sweet in ORANGE.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/6-3-20116-49-46AM.png?t=1307098250
IMHO this is not a very sexy looking ride. Maybe it would look better if it had Seal FloorBoards:roflblack:

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Bob Denman
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought that we weren't allowed to mention them in here... :shocked: :roflblack:

Dragonrider
08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry John,

Other than no storage, it looks just fine.

Mr. White
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I have read and seen info about an engineer in Kentucky name of Hannigan who has designed and is manufactoring a bolt on front end similar to our Spyders (reverse trike) (also a quad set-up). This is for the 1800 series Gold Wings only. I know it's not factory buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it's certainly interesting. I think the kit is approx. $8k......and when I had my Wing I was always avg 46 mpg with the 1800, with absolutely zero problems.....I can't say that now.......Mike............I do love my Spyder though....:thumbup:

I have been to the Hannigan plant in Murray, KY. He has a great line of trikes, Honda and BMW's. He is a quality builder and popular in the mid west. He buids matching trailers for his trikes. He designed his IRS and I have ridden a demo...handles great and runs like a hose.

namknight
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM
IN A NEW YORK MINUTE!