PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode While Driving New Spyder RT Limited Home

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Purchased our 2nd 2012 RT Limited (another white) today. While driving home (8 miles from dealer & 8 miles from home), I got my first dreaded LIMP MODE with Check DPS error -- also VSS malfunction light came on... Dealership was closed by the time we got home, so no way to ask whether it is safe to drive back tomorrow or does it need to transported?!?!? Orginally, we were planning to pick up the Spyder on Saturday since we were departing early tomorrow morning to take the family down to Virginia beach for a 2-day trip. However, the dealer called and said it was in and ready so we went down this evening. I'd like to take it in to have it worked on while we're out of town, but I'm not sure if it's ok to drive it to drop it off when they open or if it will need to be transported (further delaying our trip). Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated... Thanks!!

ARtraveler
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
It sounds like a glitch with your initial set-up. Please keep us posted and let us know what transpires.

J W Miller
08-22-2012, 08:56 PM
What about clearing the pc brain by shutting off ignition a few times it might clear the code on the screen.I am sure some one on this board will explain just how you do this.

Knarfoh
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I too experienced problems within the first few hours of riding my new Spyder. Turned out the rear seat sensor was bad. Took the dealer about 20 minutes to diagnose and replace. While some problems can be avoided by proper set up, my problem was a faulty part installed in a new Spyder. The test ride at the dealership went well.

harrypottar
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Take the key out and keep it away from the spyder for about 15 minutes. Then start it again see if the codes clear. Even if they do I would run it back to the dealer.

Harry

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
When I first got the Spyder I had a tendency to hover my foot over the brake.
The lightest of pressure on the brake pedal will send these puppies into Limp Mode faster than flies on toast.

I know for a fact it's not a brake hover issue... I just went over 6100 miles on our other Limited we bought in April and my foot isn't close to the brake unless I'm using it! Could be problem with brake pedal sticking perhaps?!?!

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
It sounds like a glitch with your initial set-up. Please keep us posted and let us know what transpires.

Will do... I probably end up leaving with the dealer for next two days and hopefully they can determine & resolve the issue! :)

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Take the key out and keep it away from the spyder for about 15 minutes. Then start it again see if the codes clear. Even if they do I would run it back to the dealer.

Harry

We parked the Spyder in the driveway for an hour with keys inside the house. When we went to move it into the garage, the Limp Mode w/Check DPS and VSS fault light is still on....

NancysToy
08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd check the battery connections and relays first. It may be a simple, loose connection. You should be able to limp to your dealer (as opposed to home) if you don't have to hit the highways. A good dealer would come and pick it up, though. Sorry, not a very good way to start the new relationship.

spyryder
08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Try checking your codes by pressing (MODE, SET, turn signal cancel held simultaneously), see what pops up.

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Try checking your codes by pressing (MODE, SET, turn signal cancel held simultaneously), see what pops up.

Codes are: C006C C0051 No idea what they mean... :)

spyryder
08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Here they are:

error C006C deals with the ECM (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE)the description is: VSS CAN (CAN BUS) message plausibility error.

C0051: Error in DPS module: SAS Adaptative Fault. Error in VCM module: Steering Wheel Position Sensor Failure.

Looks like a trip back to the dealer. Could be the steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated.

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Here they are:

error C006C deals with the ECM (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE)the description is: VSS CAN (CAN BUS) message plausibility error.

C0051: Error in DPS module: SAS Adaptative Fault. Error in VCM module: Steering Wheel Position Sensor Failure.

Looks like a trip back to the dealer. Could be the steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated.

Thanks! Heading back tomorrow... :(

SpyderMarkus
08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
In addition to our DPS error and VSS fault, each time we change between 1st gear & reverse or between reverse & 1st gear, the wife & I noticed a 'hissing' sound after the gears change. We thought it was odd since we don't hear it with our other Spyder RT Limited. Considering we can only compare similarities to our other bike, the gear change (reverse & 1st gear and back) is much louder and 'clankier' as well.... Overall, besides the error and fault, the Spyder did seemed to ride a lot smoother than our other Spyder... :)

spyryder
08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks! Heading back tomorrow... :(

This is a long shot but I was thinking possible uneven tire pressures out front? Maybe double check that before going back to the dealer. :thumbup:

SpyderMarkus
08-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Update: :2thumbs: Took :spyder2: back to dealer first thing this morning. Was in/out within an hour including a 15 minute test ryde by Dave, our salesman. Not exactly sure what the issue was but was told they hook it up for diagnostics and after resetting the system, problem should be resolved. Thanks to Dave and service department @ Fredericksburg Motor Sports for quickly taking care of issue and allowing me to get back home. I was fully expecting to leave it for a few days but now we can head on our 2-day Virginia beach trip knowing my :spyder2: is back in the garage awaiting our return. Thanks to all who posted. :thumbup:

Fonz
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
When I first got the Spyder I had a tendency to hover my foot over the brake.
The lightest of pressure on the brake pedal will send these puppies into Limp Mode faster than flies on toast.

I'm a witness:yes:

DR Buck
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Update: :2thumbs: Took :spyder2: back to dealer first thing this morning. Was in/out within an hour including a 15 minute test ryde by Dave, our salesman. Not exactly sure what the issue was but was told they hook it up for diagnostics and after resetting the system, problem should be resolved. Thanks to Dave and service department @ Fredericksburg Motor Sports for quickly taking care of issue and allowing me to get back home. I was fully expecting to leave it for a few days but now we can head on our 2-day Virginia beach trip knowing my :spyder2: is back in the garage awaiting our return. Thanks to all who posted. :thumbup:

Hey Marcus --- We plan on hitting VA Beach over Labor Day weekend. Part of our driving all VA counties and independent cities tour. :) By the time we get there Friday night or Saturday morning we'll have added about 12 to 14 to our completed list. :thumbup: