PDA

View Full Version : rgstng

rgsting
08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Im a new owner of 2012 RT limited bought a few weeks ago ... notice after a ride i get a strong smell in the garage ... has anyone had or have the same if so , can it be corrected.

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I might be wrong about this; but here goes...
It might be caused by overfilling the fuel tank. The overflow gets sucked into places in the intake system (evap. canister??:opps:??), that doesn't deal with it too awful well...
Does anybody else have a better answer? :shocked:

Derek Paisley
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Most people will look past your post as your title "rgstng" makes no sense at all.

Repost if need be in the RT Forum with a proper title.

Good luck!

shelbydave
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
What is the smell? If it is fuel, then it may have been from overfilling. I did that on the way home from picking mine up, and had the smell for a few weeks. By the time I had my 600 mile service, the smell was gone. I had no leaks, just the smell.

rgsting
08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Most people will look past your post as your title "rgstng" makes no sense at all.

Repost if need be in the RT Forum with a proper title.

Good luck!

thanks ..I will try to repost, that was my first post with chubby fingers ... appreciate your comment ..." rgsting " is correct.

Huntindawg1962
08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Agree with above - strong smell of what? When new I noticed a typical "breaking in" kind of smell but not anything terrible - that all went away after a couple hundred miles.

arntufun
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
After a night out at my local Taco joint, I also get a strong smell in the garage and also the house. Hollys says it's gas, but I think it's something else. :shocked:

shelbydave
08-22-2012, 06:05 PM
After a night out at my local Taco joint, I also get a strong smell in the garage and also the house. Hollys says it's gas, but I think it's something else. :shocked:

...And for your next big blowout... Try our Chili!!!:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Who mentioned Tacos???? :roflblack:

http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.htm

You guys just KNEW that this was coming back around again! :thumbup: :roflblack:

mrfats
08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
I'll be serious...this is the only problem I have had with my Spyder (to this point). When I shut it off there is always a strong gasoline smell. I park it on the drive way to let it cool off then put it in the garage. How ever full I fill the tank, I still get the gasoline odor...

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Somebody else in here mentioned that their strong smell of gasoline was due to the gasket around the fuel cap just kind of disintegrating on them... :shocked:
the delaer replaced it and the smell was gone!

(How's that: I was serious too!)

bruiser
08-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Aww, c'mon guys, give him/her a break, they're a junior member :roflblack: Bob, I'm banned from that link. Guess who banned me. :shemademe_smilie:

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
:shocked: Throw me a PM, Big Guy... I'm a little bit curious! :shocked:
Actually they might only have 3 posts listed, but their membership dates waaaay back...
So up to this point; I'd have to say that their Spyder has been behaving pretty well! :thumbup:

AbNormy
08-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Reading about gas boiling made me think about it hot as it alwas is here. Try to keep tank full and when i get home i put a box fan on it to cool down before i shut garage door. Gonna check the cap seal but i wanna wrap my exhaust and do what i can while its new.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bruiser
08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
:duh: 2012. Wake up bruiser. My '12 does the same thing. Did it the first day I brought it home, only it didn't have a full tank (dang cheap dealer). Wifes '10 does it to. I think it's just inherant to the beast.

shelbydave
08-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I'll be serious...this is the only problem I have had with my Spyder (to this point). When I shut it off there is always a strong gasoline smell. I park it on the drive way to let it cool off then put it in the garage. How ever full I fill the tank, I still get the gasoline odor...

I had the same thing. I overfilled it once, and the smell lasted for about 3 or 4 weeks. What I did for a while was to stick the nozzke all the way in, fill it till it shut off, then not top it off. After a while, the smell went away... I think when the canister gets fuel in it, it will take some time for it to dry out, but it will eventually - at least mine did. Now I don't pay attention to the pump, but pay attention to the level in the tank. No more smell! :)

bruisersbaby
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Who mentioned Tacos???? :roflblack:

http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.htm

You guys just KNEW that this was coming back around again! :thumbup: :roflblack:

Aww, c'mon guys, give him/her a break, they're a junior member :roflblack: Bob, I'm banned from that link. Guess who banned me. :shemademe_smilie:

Yes, I did. I have enough 'sounds' from the tacos without having him playing 'tunes' on the fartboard!! :banghead:
:banghead:

Bob Denman
08-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Sorry! :opps: I didn't mean to get him into any more trouble!
Look at it this way though; any time you hear any of that; you'll be thinking of MEEEEE! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

CyncySpyder
08-23-2012, 07:44 AM
:congrats: & :welcome:

Many new Spyders start out with a strong gas smell once they've been filled up and then put away. As Bob mentioned, a bad seal on the fuel cap can be one cause, so its smart to double check it just to make sure its ok.

As others have stated, the Spyder comes equipped with an Evap. Canister that's filled with (I think) charcoal to help absorb any overflow when fueling. This can take some time for the smell to dissipate and can be very annoying. The canister also has a vent hose that runs under the Spyder and it can 'drip' excess fuel from the canister to the ground or floor under the Spyder, believe it or not, its designed that way:dontknow::shocked::hun:

Here's a link to a Thread that I believe EVERY NEW SPYDER OWNER should check out, as it is very informative & well thought out and is always evolving as well:thumbup:
:2thumbs:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners:2thumbs:
:yes:Good Luck on your New Adventures with your Spyder:yes:
Dav n Ted~

CyncySpyder
08-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Close to the top, right hand side of this page, you'll see a white rectangular box with the little magnifying glass next to it, that's the search box;) and is an extremely helpful tool for any SpyderLover to get aquainted with:clap:

Example: I went there & typed in "FUEL SMELL" and up popped Thread after Thread all related to "Fuel Smell":yes: And here's a little more knowledge for ya, as I forgot that I had posted this there, and will share it with you here:2thumbs:
:thumbup:STRAIGHT FROM THE REPAIR MANUAL:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49883&d=1342734064http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49884&d=1342734099

Bob Denman
08-23-2012, 08:45 AM
"Give a man afish and he'll eat for a day..."
"Teach him to fish, and he'll be gone every weekend!" :roflblack:

shelbydave
08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
"Give a man afish and he'll eat for a day..."
"Teach him to fish, and he'll be gone every weekend!" :roflblack:
"Give a mman a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Dikicep9
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I had the same thing. I overfilled it once, and the smell lasted for about 3 or 4 weeks. What I did for a while was to stick the nozzke all the way in, fill it till it shut off, then not top it off. After a while, the smell went away... I think when the canister gets fuel in it, it will take some time for it to dry out, but it will eventually - at least mine did. Now I don't pay attention to the pump, but pay attention to the level in the tank. No more smell! :)
Guilty of overfill with gas at the pump. I was filling the gas tank as far up as I could. Gas smell was very strong when parked, but after a day of riding, the smell got better and eventually went away until the next gas stop. When I asked my dealership about that, they told me over filling was a "no no" and to stop it immediately. THAT was MY problem ... may not be yours.

crazyspyder
08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
hello fello spydeys, I've had my new RT for 1500mi now and always had this problem from the gitgo- learned alot on this FORUM and solved alot of my problems here.:thumbup:
My gas smell came from, over filling, and bad gas cap. the cap friction wasn't tighten it tight enough and was looseing it. I may add aswell that some gas stations :yikes:
around my area that have WAY too much pressure to the point were I had to put in a gallon or so and move on to another station.:banghead:
Other than dat, this beast of a spyder is a celebrity everywhere I go- I feel like a rockstar riding my spyder~!:yes:
BTWY- I traded in my 2008 harley davidson ultra classic ..and.. dont miss it at all.:2thumbs:

bruisersbaby
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Sorry! :opps: I didn't mean to get him into any more trouble!
Look at it this way though; any time you hear any of that; you'll be thinking of MEEEEE! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

DENNNNNN------MMMMMANNNNN! Put a little squeaky sound in there and...yeah, it's close!!! :b2b:

Bob Denman
08-24-2012, 06:38 AM
So now I have been reduced to a mere sound... :shocked:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_4_6.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif

I can dig it! :2thumbs: :roflblack: