PDA

View Full Version : RT rear brake pad replacement

Bad Dog6
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Are there any videos of replacing the rear brake pads on an RT? Haven't been able to find any. Thanks

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't recall there being any. But it's actually such an easy thing to do that even I got it done without loss of limb or life! :thumbup:
There was even enough room up under the back of the bike that I did it without jacking the bike up. Just make sure that the muffler is good and cold before you start work though! :yikes:

Bad Dog6
08-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I am not sure what bolts etc. to remove. Does the parking brake cable and spring have to come off? I looked at the Manual and iy is about as clear as mud..

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
As I recall... yes. :shocked: But it also goes back on just about as easy as it comes off... I remember looking at that and thinking that I was a dead man when the Missus found out that I broke her bike. :shocked:
Just strip off the parts enough so that you can unbolt the calipers from their mounting brackets.
As I said; If I can do it... :thumbup:

sinkhole
08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I replaced mine yesterday. I removed the muffler, removed the parking brake cable and pulley, and the two pad retaining bolts. With these two bolts removed, you can drop the caliper without removing the large mounting plate. Doing it this way, the toughest part is reinstalling the circlips. I also found out that reinstalling the muffler seemed to seat it better and actually quieted the Spyder somewhat.

AbNormy
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Quickest wearing set of rear pads I've ever replaced! :lecturef_smilie:Paper thin, started getting a squeal backing up and I'd looked at them when I put the missing belt guard thought they looked awful thin, but that maybe when I actually took them off, they'd turn out to be a lot less worn. Ordered the ebc semi sintered from my dealer (gotta buy something from them), and glad I did. Same price as Baja Rons after my discount. Went ahead and siponed out what I could from the master cyl before I pressed the brake pedal and made sure to lube the sliders with a little silicon grease. Didn't have to remove the muffler but almost wish I had. torqued to 34 ft/lbs, :dontknow: per my Tech Spark repair manual, not sure if that's the caliper screws they're referring to, but darned if I can find the clip goes on the front pin. wonder why they use 3/8" allens maybe its a 9 mm but none of my allen sets has a 9. But it stops like new now hope I get a little better use out of these aftermarkets.
Plan to order the plugs and wires from BajaRon for when I need my 16k service done. Seems like it idles a little rough, still can't get used to the fact these motors never settle down to a 850-900 rpm idle like most other motors I've had. Reckon thats what drives the mpg down anyone?

sinkhole
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
wonder why they use 3/8" allens maybe its a 9 mm but none of my allen sets has a 9.

The caliper pins are 3/8" and NOT 9mm... have no idea why, when metric fasteners have been used throughout the Spyder. :dontknow: