PDA

View Full Version : Belt Adjustment Warning

Spyd3r
11-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Not sure yet if it was just a bad belt or the adjustment was off. Jury is out, but I was keeping on eye on EVERYTHING especially the belt. All looked good second day out and felt a tap on my shoulder, look in the mirror and there is the belt flying down the road behind me. Clean break and no other noticeable defects.

Lamonster
11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
:yikes:

joet
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
just spoke w/ my dealer Filers Powersports the 2 demo bikes they had off & on all summer had over 10k in hard ridden miles & never had a belt promblem with either of them???? very strange these belt promblems

Spyd3r
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Not putting anything on anyone hear, just communicating an issue, but those bikes were put together by BRP techs and not dealer adjusting belt at delivery. It really is looking like just a bad belt and my luck, the clock is ticking for riding up here, temps dropping snow coming.

joet
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Not putting anything on anyone hear, just communicating an issue, but hose bikes were put together by BRP techs and not dealer adjusting belt at delivery. It really is looking like just a bad belt and my luck, the clock is ticking for riding up here, temps dropping snow coming.

you are right I believe you are the second person to throw a belt
from can-am talk board:
Going through the power band road speeds, RPMS 3000-5000. Just coming back down on the RPMS after a smooth acceloration. I get a tap on my left shoulder, look in the mirror and there is my belt flying down the road. 90 miles on since Friday afternoon. I am 30 miles from home and everyone I know that has trailer is gone for the weekend or busy. I call my dealer at 11:46 AM, they close at new. That awesome guy came out and got me. Spydie is setting in the shop and waiting for a new belt. Just a clean straight break????? For now, I am sure BRP will want to see it.
Not complaining like having to wait. You have toys, that is how it goes.

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1844

LittleJohn
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Well it seems that even though there have been a couple incidents of belts breaking, at least said belts have been courteous enough to tap you on the shoulder and let you know they are departing the vehicle for one reason or another! ::)

barb36jack31
11-12-2007, 04:37 PM
For Joet - I am so sorry you are having problems with your new Spyder. No matter whose fault is was, the fact that your new bike is out of commission is just awful. From an old (76 Years) rider with 60+ years of riding under my belt, I just wanted you to know that I share your disappointment.

Hang on in there.

Jack H.

barb36jack31
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Sorry I got the name wrong. My last post was for Spyder3.

Jack H.

Lamonster
11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
My belt on my Boss has over 400 lbs of tension on it at well over 350hp and I have never had a belt problem. Must have just been a bad belt. ::)

Spyd3r
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
BRP wanted it over nighted to them. I agree and hopefully that is my one and only issue DONE :bigthumbsup:

Spyderman
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Did they warrenty it? If they did then others take notice so BRP doesn't claim owners responsibilty on wear items if yours breaks.

Spyd3r
11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I assume so as I did not have to pay for it. I had them checking the mapping on #509 to make sure I did over rev the motor to bad. It was very y neat to see where i had been spending most my break in time. I adjusted to more aggressive riding after that. I was babying to much.