PDA

View Full Version : Transmission filter

rcturner
08-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Other than drilling the hole in the support, has anybody found a way to change the transmission filter and properly re-torque the bolts? This looks like the engineers for the engine/transmission and bodywork were drinking in different pubs the day they came up with this design. Do you suppose they ever actually try to service what they design? I now see why my dealer says that the new panels will solve almost nothing when it comes to an oil and filter/s change.

(Note: My question focuses on the RT)

Jeriatric
08-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Other than drilling the hole in the support, has anybody found a way to change the transmission filter and properly re-torque the bolts? This looks like the engineers for the engine/transmission and bodywork were drinking in different pubs the day they came up with this design. Do you suppose they ever actually try to service what they design? I now see why my dealer says that the new panels will solve almost nothing when it comes to an oil and filter/s change.

(Note: My question focuses on the RT)

Two ways to approach it.

Buy a long allen wrench, cut it to length, fit it to a 1/4" drive socket, adapt as needed to your torque wrench, or, use a lightly calibrated wrist.

rcturner
08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies but, how do you get around the support ? The bolt is almost completely hidden by the support. There is no obvious (to me) way to get even a ball end allen wrench on it let alone anything that would allow proper torquing of the bolt.

Jeriatric
08-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies but, how do you get around the support ? The bolt is almost completely hidden by the support. There is no obvious (to me) way to get even a ball end allen wrench on it let alone anything that would allow proper torquing of the bolt.

You will need to drill a hole in the support -just large enough to pass the allen wrench through. Lamont has a snap shot somewhere, but it's pretty self explanatory.

Picture...... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25626-Tech-tip-for-changing-the-trans-filter-%28RT-SE%29

Edit: Didn't use a ball allen the first time myself.....others say they have. I cut a short length of allen and fitted it to a socket, but knew it would have been much easier to drill the support. Later, said something here about drilling the support and someone said that that was exact ally what Lamont had done and directed me to the above link. Good enough for me.

Schnauzer
08-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I cut an allen wrench to length so it would pass behind the pillar. But now that the new canister is an inch longer does it help when the hole is in the pillar. If memory serves me, there was only 1 1/2 " with the old filter. Just enough to pull the cap off then remove the filter. If you are using an allen wrench about 3" long, you definately can't over torque it.

Grandpa Spyder
08-24-2012, 05:18 AM
My last oil change I replaced that bolt with a metric that has a 10mm head on it and now I use a wrench to take it on and off. works for me.

Jeriatric
08-24-2012, 06:12 AM
My last oil change I replaced that bolt with a metric that has a 10mm head on it and now I use a wrench to take it on and off. works for me.

:thumbup: There ya go, more than one way to skin a cat. :spyder:

CyncySpyder
08-24-2012, 06:13 AM
:lecturef_smilie:Instead of fighting it, I take the extra 10 minutes and just move the support out of the way;) do what needs to be done, then screw it back in place:thumbup: Got tired of fighting it myself, and it makes it so much easier:2thumbs:

ulflyer
08-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I drilled the hole, bought a "T" handle allen with ball end. Works well and bolts don't get overtorqued.

Never noticed that the bracket could be taken off; will give that a look at next oil change.

I have 5 of the Hi Flo transmission filters superceded by the new longer ones. If anyone has a use for these, like a Buell, pm me for a good deal.

BajaRon
08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
I drilled the hole, bought a "T" handle allen with ball end. Works well and bolts don't get overtorqued.

Never noticed that the bracket could be taken off; will give that a look at next oil change.

I have 5 of the Hi Flo transmission filters superceded by the new longer ones. If anyone has a use for these, like a Buell, pm me for a good deal.

I would go ahead and use up the HiFlo transmission filters. The reason BRP upgraded theirs is that they had problems with collapse (HiFlo never had that problem) disintegration (Hiflo never had that problem) and insufficient oil flow in some circumstances (the HiFlo transmission filters flow more oil than the original BRP filters).

Bottom line is, if the BRP filters did what the HiFlo filters did, there probably wouldn't be an upgraded BRP transmission filter.

ulflyer
08-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Ron, I suspected the HiFlo's were perfectly adequate; thanks for the confirmation. I've used them since my first change at 600 mi so I'll just go ahead and use them up. By then, Hiflo will likely have come out with something to fit the longer cover.