PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove Rear black fender and rear speakers grils

harrypottar
08-22-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm getting my new 2010 RT-622 painted lava bronze, they did such a good job last time that I'm going to have some parts color matched at the same time from the Spyder.

Going to do the dash and front speakers both look really easy to remove.

I want to remove the bottom black fender that holds the license plate anyone know of any video or instructions on that for a dummy.

I also would like to have the rear speaker grills painted but I suspect that you have to remove the entire arm rest which is beyond my skill level.

Might just call dealer see how much he would charge to remove all the parts store the bike for a week and put them on when painted?

tia

harry

vrodrjs
08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
It isn't hard, a little tricky maybe.
1. first the four screws across the lip of the trunk by the latch, open it and you'll see them.
2. Open the bags and there are two more on each side that come out along the top edge of the bag.
3. That piece comes right off now. You have to work it up and out from around the passenger grips, take your time.
4. I know the two or three screws on the inside sides of the trunk come out and there may be one or two more that come out from the outside.

That is about all there is to it. Then you can look and see how the grill comes off, I don't remember off the top of me head.

Most of the body removal is a nothing more than figuring out where all the screws are, the shop manual has saved me thousands by now.

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
:agree: I haven't tried to pull mine apart yet...(too skeered!:opps:), but it is just a matter of finding whatever it is that holds stuff in place. Start at the to trucnk and just move your way forward and down. :thumbup:

We're gonna want to see the finished results of your project! :firstplace:

Huntindawg1962
08-22-2012, 12:40 PM
when you get to the part where you have the assemblies with the grills in your hands - there are actually some hook shaped lock-ins that have to be worked with. I can not explain it but you will see them when you get to that part.

shelbydave
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
when you get to the part where you have the assemblies with the grills in your hands - there are actually some hook shaped lock-ins that have to be worked with. I can not explain it but you will see them when you get to that part.

:agree: What he said.... The first time, it took me longer to get the enclosure apart than to get it off... It reminded me of a Rubiks cube.

It all works right if you hold your mouth right, and stick your tongue out...

vrodrjs
08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
:agree: What he said.... The first time, it took me longer to get the enclosure apart than to get it off... It reminded me of a Rubiks cube.

It all works right if you hold your mouth right, and stick your tongue out...

Oh yeah now I remember. I think I got ticked and banged mine in frustration, and it came apart. No breakage either.

Arr MiHardies
08-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Same here. Easy to get off. Pain to pull apart, even when you know how to do it.

harrypottar
08-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I think I'm going to skip the rear speaker grills don't fancy talking all that stuff off.

Will do the front speakers, dash and rear fender part.

Thanks for all the feed back
harry

Arr MiHardies
08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I think I'm going to skip the rear speaker grills don't fancy talking all that stuff off.

Will do the front speakers, dash and rear fender part.

Thanks for all the feed back
harry

You're going to take the time to do the front speakers, but not the back??? the fronts are tons more work.

harrypottar
08-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I thought the front speaker grills just popped off.

I haven't looked yet, but from what I have read here I thought you can simply take the dash off and then push the speaker grills out.

I'm I missing something? :dontknow:

harry

NancysToy
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
The front speaker grills just pry out. A plastic tool will work if you can't get them started with your fingers. A screwdriver will do if you are careful, but I'd mask the dash first to avoid marks. Theypop out easily once you have them started.