PDA

View Full Version : New to Bike riding

Derwin
11-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Hello! I am new to all of this. I have NEVER riden a motorcycle in my life, but I have always wanted to. It is just the "danger factor" was just way too high for me. Now with this Spyder coming out, I have reconsider taking the leap.

I have a question, though. Can anybody tell me how this thing rides? Do I need to switch gears with my feet or do anything else that is abnormal to a person who is unfamiliar with this stuff? If so, how difficult is this all to learn?

These questions probably seem incredibly stupid to all of you, but I have to ask. I am so comfortable in my car with an automatic trans, and I don't want to get something if it will be way too difficult to master.

One other question.....how would I go about getting a motorcycle license? I don't have a clue how to ride one. Is there any place that I can get some kind of training that I can take to the secretary of state? I live in Illinois.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't beat up on me for asking these simple questions! :-[

Derwin

2faston3
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Derwin: :welcome:

First of all congrats :congrats: on taking the leap towards freedom from the cage!

Riding the Spyder is somwhat similiar to driving a car, in fact if you wait until the fall of 2008 you would be able to buy a Spyder that is fully Automatic, no shifting and no clutch to worry about. In fact I envy you! The feeling of excitment of learning to ride all over again. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Speaking of getting your license, I recommennd going to your local college and getting your motorcycle endorsement through a "Rider Training Course" with certified instructors from MSF. Learn to ride the right way.

Starting out this way is the best way, instead of taking years to unlearn all your bad habits from teaching yourself. :redfaced: I did this by becoming a MSF instructor myself. :bigthumbsup:

As for riding the Spyder I can't tell you as you have no reference to compare it to. It's not a motorcycle, nor a bike, or a car. Although some have likened it to a snowmobile with wheels...

Just take my word for it, it is a lot of fun to drive. ;D

Hope this helps.

2faston3

Lamonster
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
:welcome: This might help http://www.msf-usa.org/ Go for it :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Lucky
11-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Welcome Derwin. I agree with 2faston3. An MSF course is the way to go. My wife got in to riding when she turned 50. It was not natural to her either but the course teaches you everything on 2 wheels so then riding a Spyder should be a snap. As an aside, many Harley dealers are now offering MSF courses also. In Wisconsin, the technical colleges all offer the course. We now have 2-2 wheel cycles, a sidecar rig and will receive our Spyder in May. Some of the best trips I have ever taken have been on a cycle now. If you put forth the effort, I don't think you will be disappointed. Motorcyclists as a whole are some of the nicest people around so it is a greeat group to be with. Good luck and I hope you give it a try.

Bob

Derwin
11-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey, thanks for the help. I did not know that they were coming out with an automatic model. That is sooooo good to know! I wonder if they are taking deposits on the automatic model. If they are, I guess I should reserve one NOW to make sure I get it when they hit the store.

I looked for the classes in various locations, and ALL of them are FULL. Does anybody know of any one on one way to get approval in Illinois? Something that is recognized by the Sec. of State of Illinois. At this rate, I won't have a license for a year or 2! If anybody know anything, please tell me.

Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it.

Derwin

Derwin
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
:2excited:
I have now made arrangements to order the New Automatic 2009 Spyder from UkesDirtStore in Wisconsin! I spoke with Pat Morgan at the store, and he told me that $1,000 down would assure me of getting my Spyder by September of 2008, and possibly even by August!

Man, I am so excited about this that I can't even breath! I am also nervous. I never rode a motorcycle before, and this is a BIG step for me. I am finding it hard, though, to get training that would be recognized by the Sec. of State of Illinois. Everything is always booked. I live right near Joliet, Illinois. If anybody has any suggestions, please send them my way.

I am 42 years old, and I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! This is great. I just hope the experience matches my excitment.

Derwin :2excited:

Lamonster
11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
;D :congrats:

2faston3
11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Derwin:

Woohoooooo, glad I could point you in the right direction.

Yesss another converted cager!!!!

2faston3

Derwin
12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I have now resolved all of my issues with purchasing the "automatic" Spyder. I found a dealer in Benton Harbor, Michigan that gave me a good deal. They simply charged the msrp.

I HAVE NOW PUT MY $1,000 DEPOSIT DOWN, AND I AM OFFICIALLY A FUTURE OWNER!

I asked them when I could expect to receive it, and they said that it could be as soon as May or June. THIS IS INCREDIBLE! I was previously told that the "automatic" model was not going to be out until around September.

Anyway, I am one excited puppy. Thanks for all the help.

Derwin

Derwin
05-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I can proudly say that I have finally received my motorcycle license for Illinois. And I got it in a most unusual way! I went and bought a very cheap scooter for only $150, and then went to the secretary of state here in Joliet, Illinois. I told them I want to take the riding test, and they gave it to me using my scooter. The woman testing me asked me what cc it was, because supposedly 150cc and lower gets you an "L" license. I told her that I wasn't too sure. I took the driving test, passed it, and she went ahead and gave me a full MOTORCYCLE license! I was really thrilled. After getting it, I went immediately to Joe's Cigar Ship about a mile away, and celebrated by lighting-up a nice Macanudo!

Well, I'm ready now more than ever for my Spyder SE5, and I have a little scooter to get used-to riding a 2-wheeled vehicle. Thanks to all for your advice, encouragement, and general help in my journey. :bigthumbsup: I guess I am now an "official" member of the club!

Derwin

***The scooter is only a 149cc

jeuchler
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
... The woman testing me asked me what cc it was, because supposedly 150cc and lower gets you an "L" license. I told her that I wasn't too sure...
***The scooter is only a 149cc

Repeat after me: "It's a 151 cc engine..." :bigthumbsup:

Congratulations--Start counting down the days!

bjt
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Congrats on the motorcycle endorsement! So what would happen if you got the "L" endorsement as opposed to the regular one?

Roaddog2
05-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Derwin: :welcome:

First of all congrats :congrats: on taking the leap towards freedom from the cage!

Riding the Spyder is somwhat similiar to driving a car, in fact if you wait until the fall of 2008 you would be able to buy a Spyder that is fully Automatic, no shifting and no clutch to worry about. In fact I envy you! The feeling of excitment of learning to ride all over again. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Speaking of getting your license, I recommennd going to your local college and getting your motorcycle endorsement through a "Rider Training Course" with certified instructors from MSF. Learn to ride the right way.

Starting out this way is the best way, instead of taking years to unlearn all your bad habits from teaching yourself. :redfaced: I did this by becoming a MSF instructor myself. :bigthumbsup:

As for riding the Spyder I can't tell you as you have no reference to compare it to. It's not a motorcycle, nor a bike, or a car. Although some have likened it to a snowmobile with wheels...

Just take my word for it, it is a lot of fun to drive. ;D

Hope this helps.

2faston3
:agree: :bigthumbsup: :congrats:

pphantom538
05-10-2008, 09:17 PM
:congrats:

Derwin
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
In Illinois, I guess if your scooter or motorcycle is 150cc or less, than you can NOT get a full motorcycle endorsment, and are only allowed to drive the 150cc or less vehicles. I'm just so glad that I "slipped" through the system and obtained my full M license. I can't wait until my SE5 arrives, and I'll let you all know when I get that all important call.

Derwin

bjt
05-10-2008, 10:37 PM
In Illinois, I guess if your scooter or motorcycle is 150cc or less, than you can NOT get a full motorcycle endorsment, and are only allowed to drive the 150cc or less vehicles. I'm just so glad that I "slipped" through the system and obtained my full M license. I can't wait until my SE5 arrives, and I'll let you all know when I get that all important call.

Derwin

Cool. It would have been a shame for you to have to replace your Spyder's Rotax 990 with the 149cc motor from your scooter. ;D :joke:

spider Dave
05-11-2008, 04:27 PM
:congrats:
Good For You!! You are going to love the freedom feeling of the open road when you ride your new Spyder!! Remember to keep the rubber side down!! :spyder:

J-Dub70
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
That's awesome Derwin - just remember to take it slow when you get your Spyder. This is an incredible machine and you will love it IMEDIATELY. It is quite easy to ride and you will get used to it quickly, but be carefull!! This baby has a LOT of power and will go like a scalded dog if you let it!

Jon W. #595

Smylinacha
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi there! I've been riding about 3 years and it's so much fun but also takes a ton of concentration - at least for me. I strongly agree w/ the others - take the beginners mc course - teaches you the basics in a controlled, safe environment. It's way more than like driving a car - you really gotta look where you wanna go, get into the "friction zone" and really keep your wits about you because cagers truly sometimes don't see motorcycles so you always gotta pay attention and be on the defensive sometimes (at least where I live - squirryly cagers, soccar moms in mini vans on cell phones with bratty kids fighting in the back, old people who really shouldn't be driving, outta control teens with a new license, etc.). The course is the way to go man!

I have ridden two wheels and ordered my Spyder which should be delivered in August - I hear it's a totally different experience - so i'll have to relearn but I CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT! This machine is so cool and I really think it's gonna get pretty popular rather quickly.

Welcome to riding in the wind - you're gonna love it.

pphantom538
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Derwin, that's great.

Derwin
05-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey, thanks for all of the encouragement. I actually test drove a Spyder last month. I never operated a motorcycle before in my life, and changing gears on the Spyder was very different for me. I actually almost wiped-out into a luxury boat they had in the dealers parking lot! ;D But I could tell that if I were to ride ANY kind of motorcycle, that the Spyder would be the one.

I put my money down on the Spyder SE5 back in December, way before ever seeing one in person, or driving one. I know the SE5 will be just what I need to experience the open road.

As I said, I purchased a scooter, and I went and got my Motorcycle license with it. Just riding that around town is an incredible feeling. I never imagined riding like this could be so liberating. I think I am addicted to this already! And I can't wait for my Spyder to arrive. I know that will take me to a whole new level.

Thanks again.

Derwin

LaughingHeart
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey Derwin,
Congrats!! I'm also new to motorcycle riding. I have been riding double with my husband for 20+ years. Then I got the bug to be the one driving. I have found the Spyder wonderfully easy to learn on!! I think you will love the fun, and freedom. I do recommend the MSF rider training course. It really teaches you how to ride safely. Enjoy!!
Winnie

NancysToy
05-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Derwin,
Congrats!! I'm also new to motorcycle riding. I have been riding double with my husband for 20+ years. Then I got the bug to be the one driving. I have found the Spyder wonderfully easy to learn on!! I think you will love the fun, and freedom. I do recommend the MSF rider training course. It really teaches you how to ride safely. Enjoy!!
Winnie

My wife rode behind for over 30 years, then got the itch, and bought a Spyder. She can't stop talking about how great it is to ride her own motorcycle. BTW, she took the MSF course, too. I had tried to get her to take one for years. The Spyder was just the right incentive. Great idea, Derwin, riding a scooter for practice and your endorsement. When you get your Spyder, a little while in the parking lot should be all you need, then. Just have to make that step upwards. You are going to do great! I have been riding for 50 years, and it is still a wonderful thrill. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
-Scotty

Danimal
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Congrats Derwin on your purchase. I did want to note that the SE5 isn't truely 'automatic' like a car is... you still shift gears... but it is just with the push of a button up or down.... really simple stuff.

Have you ever rode a snowmobile? The Spyder is a bit like that.