PDA

View Full Version : Hand Brake

rbrannum
11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I have rode the Spyder over 1,600 miles and felt pretty safe - but yesterday I suffered a relapse and like an old motorcycle rider tried to use the hand brake at a stop sign. My luck held out as there were no cars or other vehicles that could hit me.

But it sure was a strange feeling to grab for the hand brake and just keep going. By the time I found the foot brake it was way too late. Thought I might give the group a heads up on this.

I was riding in a rural area with limited traffic and came upon the stop sign unexpectedly. Did what I would have done on the Harley of Yamaha.

Just don't yet something like this happen to you!!!

Lamonster
11-10-2007, 04:27 AM
I don't care what BRP says, this ride needs a hand brake. ::)

hollylmh
11-10-2007, 09:05 AM
On my first "real ride" two things came up. I always "cover" the front brake lever and I found myself doing that pretty consistently and I caught myself putting my feet down! I almost always use the "rear brake" also so it was not a real problem -- I just used the rear brake MORE! I would think adding an "addition" brake control and cylinder into an intergrated system would present quite a modification.

Spyderman
11-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I have to disagree on the brake lever. Not needed.

rbnicklin
11-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Once you get your SPYDER and get a few miles on it, you will find that the front hand brake is not needed and not an issue. I have been riding mine every day to work, I am at the point where I am comfortable with the SPYDER. It is a great machine. My only worry now is my transition back to my Harley Electra Glide. Will I brake and lean properly and will I forget to put my feet down. I hope not.

rbrannum
11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
My original post is a warning about emergency situations. In riding the Spyder all you have is the foot brake, but when you get in an emergency situation 40 years of riding will kick in and most of us will reach for the hand brake.

Under normal conditions there is no problem - one has time to think - but just wait to that time when you have no time to think - a split second - 9 experienced riders out of 10 will reach for the hand brake - it is just a natural automatic reaction. Short term riders probably will not react like us old heads.

The only answer is to keep a mind set and to practice emergency stops.

Ray Brannum

Lamonster
11-11-2007, 10:12 AM
My original post is a warning about emergency situations. In riding the Spyder all you have is the foot brake, but when you get in an emergency situation 40 years of riding will kick in and most of us will reach for the hand brake.

Under normal conditions there is no problem - one has time to think - but just wait to that time when you have no time to think - a split second - 9 experienced riders out of 10 will reach for the hand brake - it is just a natural automatic reaction. Short term riders probably will not react like us old heads.

The only answer is to keep a mind set and to practice emergency stops.

Ray Brannum

:agree: You can get use to a foot brake only just like I got use to no clutch on my Boss Hoss. The problem is the mind will go to what it's been trained to do in a panic situation. I don't see what the big deal would be to add a front brake to the Spyder, my 4 wheeler has one that is just linkage that operates the rear brake.

By the way after riding my Boss for a while I have got on my VTX and just put it into gear without pulling in the clutch. Good thing it has a lot of torque and didn't stall. ;D

Spyderman
11-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Since in an emergancy situation on my bike I also use the footbrake, it won't be a problem. If you ride the Spyder once and a while you might tend to go for the hand but our brain is a great thing, it learns and adapts.

joet
11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
no hand brake needed..... just drag your feet like you did as a kid! :joke:

Lamonster
11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
My Spyder is going to have a hand brake one way or the other. :doorag:

Spyd3r
11-12-2007, 06:16 AM
Don't you think it would take a lot of hand presure to stop it with the 3 wheels and dual disc and still have the anti-lock work? Just asking.

Lamonster
11-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Don't you think it would take a lot of hand presure to stop it with the 3 wheels and dual disc and still have the anti-lock work? Just asking.

Not if the leverage was right. I don't think it's going to be a big deal but maybe I'm wrong. I still want a front brake to slow me down before I hit my rear.