PDA

View Full Version : RT Lacking Top End Power

bluestratos
08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I rode with a group of 2 wheel riders that were heavy on the throttle this weekend and as I was at the tail end of the group I had some close calls while passing trying to keep up. My ride has great power up to about 85 but after that it is a led sled and barely can make 100 wot. Is this normal? She runs great and is rocket in the lower gears. By the way they were amazed that I could keep up with them as several commented when we stopped for fuel. After that I told them I was doing the speed limit so ride on without me. It was lonely but much less stressful, lol.

fastfraser
08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Its a touring bike not a sport bike !:dontknow: If you want to drive foolish and take chances with your life then go for it but while your out there trying to do 100 taking chances you put me and everyone else out there at risk .

NancysToy
08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
If you want to do the ton, buy a Busa. :)

Firefly
08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
I rode with a group of 2 wheel riders that were heavy on the throttle this weekend and as I was at the tail end of the group I had some close calls while passing trying to keep up. My ride has great power up to about 85 but after that it is a led sled and barely can make 100 wot. Is this normal? She runs great and is rocket in the lower gears. By the way they were amazed that I could keep up with them as several commented when we stopped for fuel. After that I told them I was doing the speed limit so ride on without me. It was lonely but much less stressful, lol.

I've noticed this also. My RT doesn't have the acceleration that my GS did... so I've had to adjust my passing zone parameters... allow more room for passing. When riding in a group, passing needs to be considered an INDIVIDUAL decision.. not a group one. Each person needs to determine if they have enough room. Sometimes if I'm in the lead and pass some cars, I'll hang out in the left lane for an extended amount to let those behind me know it's still clear ahead... but those cases are pretty rare.

Indeed, the RT is a touring bike and needs to be treated as such.

------------------

Those bashing this rider for going fast need to ease up. You don't know the area or circumstances of him going 100. Maybe he's in an area where it's allowed? Plenty of areas in Texas are 85 mph where people go 100. I cruise 85-90 quite often... and have been up to 128 on my GS. Maybe you guys need to take a ride with some of us Hooligans sometime......;):shocked:

napper39
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
cow towen hop up kit call for moore hp.:chat:

r1100rider
08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I rode with a group of 2 wheel riders that were heavy on the throttle this weekend and as I was at the tail end of the group I had some close calls while passing trying to keep up. My ride has great power up to about 85 but after that it is a led sled and barely can make 100 wot. Is this normal? She runs great and is rocket in the lower gears. By the way they were amazed that I could keep up with them as several commented when we stopped for fuel. After that I told them I was doing the speed limit so ride on without me. It was lonely but much less stressful, lol.When people ask me about my Spyder I tell them It plays best up to about 85 and that it doesn't play at a 100 plus like my BMW would but that's good as I'm getting to old to do that anymore and I was lucky for all the trips I made where I covered a couple hundred miles in a couple hours or less scary to think back on that now

CyncySpyder
08-21-2012, 04:18 AM
:bdh:There will always be those that try to get blood out of a turnip, but they usually just end up with stained hands:rolleyes:

Eraser
08-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Its a touring bike not a sport bike !:dontknow: If you want to drive foolish and take chances with your life then go for it but while your out there trying to do 100 taking chances you put me and everyone else out there at risk .

The voice of reason...Are you trained in driving at high speed???(apparently many on this forum claim to be...ya right.)
Slow down and live.;)

NancysToy
08-21-2012, 06:34 AM
I've noticed this also. My RT doesn't have the acceleration that my GS did...
That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. :D It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that simple.

Ivorspyder
08-21-2012, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;502853]That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. :D It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that :agree:

docdoru
08-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Does personal transparency have a role in the Forum social responsibility?

bullant12
08-21-2012, 07:19 AM
:agree: with everyone comments on the RT's power. Sorry Bluestratos, but the RT was designed with more torque for pulling trailers, so it does impact passing at high speeds. I did manage to kick my RT with the RT-622 trailer at 120 mph, but I could tell that I had to hit the throttle hard for this, and I was passing a dumptruck that was going 85 in a 60 zone. Although I did enjoy it, it was not a pretty experience (for my wife anyway);). Moral of the story: The high speed on the RT is there, but it's not meant to be a speedtrike.

shelbydave
08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Is the RT geared different than the RS, or is it just the changes to the engine to add low end torque at the expense of HP?

Bob Denman
08-21-2012, 09:13 AM

:shocked: :hun: Perhaps just a tiny little bit of clarification..

Firefly
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. :D It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that simple.

:agree:
I knew what I was in for when I switched to the RT. My perspective was that it wasn't anywhere near as 'doggish' as people were saying out here... and I still maintain that perspective.

vrodrjs
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Keep it out of 5th gear as long as you can. My personal practice when passing is to make sure I have plenty of room and use as little of it as possible. Drop one gear and wide open till I get back in line. Plus with the Two Brothers exhaust, it just sounds cool as hell. :D

Ride within YOUR limits not the limits of the machine you are on and everything will work out.... most of the time. It sounds to me like you figured out where your limit was and let the other guys go.

bluestratos
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Lol... I love this place,,,

I was asking if I had a problem not for anyones oppinion on how I ride or the risks I choose to take, lol. So back to the question, is this typical of the bike to puke out around 100?

I was running red line in each gear, even pulled over red line in 4th. I understand this is a touring bike, lol, but is this best it can do for top end

If you got 120 pulling a trailer then I must have something amiss.

By the way, no offense taken by the off topic comments made here but for the future I need not hear them.

Regards,

Randy

shelbydave
08-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I think I recall reading that 105 was about the limit where wind resistance exceeds HP...:dontknow:

ARtraveler
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I do not have a complaint about the power the RTS puts out. For me, IMO, the RT is fast enough to do most passing that I would do. I am a speed limit plus 5 person and content with that. I only use the 5th gear when I am cruising at 65 or more on the expressway. Cranking it to 80+ in fourth is as exciting as I prefer to go.

bluestratos
08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Ahhh, that makes sense then, I may have gotten to 105 given enough time. Thanks :-)

vrodrjs
08-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Ahhh, that makes sense then, I may have gotten to 105 given enough time. Thanks :-)

I have seen 102 or 103 a couple times but have run out of flat straight road before I could get it any faster than that. I have a flat straight road to try it on and as soon as the corn is gone, I can see for about a mile in every direction.

Sarge707
08-21-2012, 11:41 AM

:yikes: Thats Heavy!!! I gonna try to figure that out while I,m Burning down the backrounds on my GS this afternoon?:roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

bullant12
08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

No... just push that throttle all the way down in 5th gear, have an angry dumptruck driver trying to pass you on a 4 lane-merging-into-2-in-half-a-mile rural highway and a wife screaming half her wits on your ear. And it took a good 30-40 seconds to go from 65 to 120.nojoke

bluestratos
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM
lol... Ok... under those circumstances I fully understand, lol...not a fair fight by the truck driver.. jeeeeez, lol

Firefly
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM

I was asking if I had a problem not for anyones oppinion on how I ride or the risks I choose to take, lol. So back to the question, is this typical of the bike to puke out around 100?

I was running red line in each gear, even pulled over red line in 4th. I understand this is a touring bike, lol, but is this best it can do for top end

By the way, no offense taken by the off topic comments made here but for the future I need not hear them.

Regards,

Randy

I think you're Spyder is just fine. Not sure about someone going 120 with a trailer and a passenger..... maybe on an extreme downhill, with the wind behind them......;)

kinggeek
08-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Regards,

Randy

You are not alone. I got mune to 104 going on a slight downhill straitaway. Will not go any faster. Not something I do all the time it was just an experiment.

bluestratos
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks Firefly and Kinggeek, I had heard that a few RT's had reached around 120 so I was thinking I might have a problem. I expect a lucky few may have a bit more power than I do but as long as mine is typical I am fine with it. Some day they may up the cc's, who knows lol.

shelbydave
08-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks Firefly and Kinggeek, I had heard that a few RT's had reached around 120 so I was thinking I might have a problem. I expect a lucky few may have a bit more power than I do but as long as mine is typical I am fine with it. Some day they may up the cc's, who knows lol.
...Downhill with a 15mph tailwind:roflblack:

bbodah
08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
I cant believe that some think the RTS doesn't have enough speed or power... Glad I don't ride in Washington.. Speed limit plus a few MPH is enough for me!

prmurat
08-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes its slow.... never been able to get mine over 100 on the GPS, speedo was showing 107!
A bigger engine will be welcomed: better mpg and more umph at a lower rpm!

gonker
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Just one thought. Get rid of that giant windshield. I have the touring shield and have better gas milage, less buffeting passing trucks, and less wind resistance..... I mean top end. Its the cheapest fix for me. Besides, if I need speed there is always the Busa parked beside it in the garage.:D

Sarge707
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
This group is Great! You just saved me about $20,000 for a Base RT.nojoke
After riding my GS this afternoon and going from 65 passing a Big Rig to 100 in a few seconds theres No way i,ll be happy with an
RT although I am sure I,d be more comfortable.
If the New ST is ugly as sin-:yikes: I will surely get the Ultimate seat and be in heaven!!:yes:

Grandpa Spyder
08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Mine drops off at a 100 too, but I am OK with that.

Bob Denman
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
I try to avoid going any faster than my Guardian Angel can fly.. and she's just like me: Old, fat and slow! :shocked: :roflblack:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/F/1/391p.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/F/1/391p.gif

FrankPa
08-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I usually tell them about 90 with me on it.

And top speed about 110-120, but most certainly without me...

spyder stryder
08-21-2012, 07:10 PM

The RT is a heavy bike & it pushes a lot of air so it doesn't respond well at high speed when
picking up the throttle. With this lazy responce have your dealer check to see if it might be
leaning out on fuel at high rpm's & speed.

spyder stryder

Ga Blue Knight
08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Well it can always reach terminal velocity off a cliff, 125 feet per second squared!

Seriously though. I had an RS and traded for an RT. RS was defineily a faster bike but trading was all worth it to have my wife on board and to have her be more secure and comfortable. There are always trade offs. The RT is what it is and does that just fine.

bluestratos
08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Well I was just curious if this was typical and it appears it is. I like the upper mid range power as it is and I typically would not care if it could hit a 100. As said, maybe a few more cc's will be in the future, if not competition will copy and likely do so.

shelbydave
08-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Mine has a terminal velocity of about 65.... Any faster than that with the co-pilot on board and I would be terminal...

pitbull
08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

I can cure that..... RT-PERFORMANCE :thumbup:

Ga Blue Knight
08-22-2012, 05:47 AM
There's and old racing saying " Performance, Reliability, Low Cost.....Pick Two"

Bob Denman
08-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Mine has a terminal velocity of about 65.... Any faster than that with the co-pilot on board and I would be terminal...

I do believe that your Co-Pilot and mine trained together! :shocked:

If folks ask me about how fast it'll go; I just point to the analog speedo that reads up to 200. They can draw their own incorrect conclusions! :roflblack:

shelbydave
08-22-2012, 07:00 AM
There's and old racing saying " Performance, Reliability, Low Cost.....Pick Two"

I always thought that just applied to my Turbo Dodges...:roflblack:

bluestratos
08-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Wow, looks like the RT missed on all three accounts then, lol

Firefly
08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
This group is Great! You just saved me about $20,000 for a Base RT.nojoke
After riding my GS this afternoon and going from 65 passing a Big Rig to 100 in a few seconds theres No way i,ll be happy with an
RT although I am sure I,d be more comfortable.
If the New ST is ugly as sin-:yikes: I will surely get the Ultimate seat and be in heaven!!:yes:

I'll have to do a test and see what 65 to 100 is on the RT.... I'll let you know......

napper39
08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
like lin said rt performance,i would like oto see somebody take off the windsheld and see then how fast the rt is with no wind http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/cowtown.jpg (http://www.cowtownusainc.com/)on the sheld. :thumbup:rt preformance grab some power.:chat:

billythekidd
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow, looks like the RT missed on all three accounts then, lol

That is funny... and somehow true.... I always tell people it is just like a Cadilac Escalade, only it has a Chevy Cobalt engine. WAY underpowered. Even at 65 or 70 the gas mileage is not what it should be for a TOURING machine.

I understand that a bunch are satisfied and have sayings like "I didn't buy it for the gas mileage", "It is fast enough for me", and such. In my opinion those are only excuses for what should have been a really great machine but somehow got lost in the engineering process.

If one is on the interstate in west Texas the speed limit is 85, so at a modest 5 over that would be 90. Not sure how well this touring machine as it is called, would hold up with the other touring machines. I am sure one could still go 75 but I am not sure if that is safe when everyone else is going much faster.

Anyways...

Willy

Sarge707
08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I'll have to do a test and see what 65 to 100 is on the RT.... I'll let you know......

Actually 0-85 is plenty on most Highways considering over 85 is considered as Reckless Driving in my state.
The article I posted before said- 0-60 4.5 GS/RS
0-60 6.8 RT Ect.
I think BRP will have a partial solution for some of us that are on the borderline about 23 September 2012?:yikes:

vrodrjs
08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
So in the HD world there is always the big bore route. I have only seen one bike that had any real engine work done, and that was a turbo I think. Is there just not anybody out there doing engine work on these?

Firefly
08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
like lin said rt performance,i would like oto see somebody take off the windsheld and see then how fast the rt is with no wind http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/cowtown.jpg (http://www.cowtownusainc.com/)on the sheld. :thumbup:rt preformance grab some power.:chat:

I know when I added the CHAD to my 2008 GS it cut the top speed down BIG TIME. Before I could hit 128.... after about 115 was it.....

Firefly
08-22-2012, 11:53 AM
So in the HD world there is always the big bore route. I have only seen one bike that had any real engine work done, and that was a turbo I think. Is there just not anybody out there doing engine work on these?

A few out here have done 'big bore' setups and/or turbo... at least they have on RS models. Have yet to see anyone do it to an RT. Of course those mods will lower MPG considerably.......

Firefly
08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Actually 0-85 is plenty on most Highways considering over 85 is considered as Reckless Driving in my state.
The article I posted before said- 0-60 4.5 GS/RS
0-60 6.8 RT Ect.
I think BRP will have a partial solution for some of us that are on the borderline about 23 September 2012?:yikes:

With mods I could pull a 4.1 with my 2008 GS.
I think waiting until Sept. 23rd is a wise thing if you're on the fence..... might be just what you're looking for.......;)

canam9
08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
I've noticed this also. My RT doesn't have the acceleration that my GS did... so I've had to adjust my passing zone parameters... allow more room for passing. When riding in a group, passing needs to be considered an INDIVIDUAL decision.. not a group one. Each person needs to determine if they have enough room. Sometimes if I'm in the lead and pass some cars, I'll hang out in the left lane for an extended amount to let those behind me know it's still clear ahead... but those cases are pretty rare.

Indeed, the RT is a touring bike and needs to be treated as such.

------------------

Those bashing this rider for going fast need to ease up. You don't know the area or circumstances of him going 100. Maybe he's in an area where it's allowed? Plenty of areas in Texas are 85 mph where people go 100. I cruise 85-90 quite often... and have been up to 128 on my GS. Maybe you guys need to take a ride with some of us Hooligans sometime......;):shocked::agree: