PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new trailer

Burt
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I got back last night from a quick trip to Pueblo Colorado to pick up my new trailer. Custom made with a 5 gallon fuel tank and electric pump. My first long trip and I can see a backrest and floor boards are in my future.

http://www.jdbrand.com/MotorcycleTrailer.htm

Dustybell
08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Very nice. I like it. :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Thats probably why my trailer wont work ( no gas tank ). LOL

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

Dragonrider
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Chief,

Do you know of a decal of your logo, or something close? Love to have it on the back of my RT…..

IGETAROUND
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I got back last night from a quick trip to Pueblo Colorado to pick up my new trailer. Custom made with a 5 gallon fuel tank and electric pump. My first long trip and I can see a backrest and floor boards are in my future.

​That is one sharp looking trailer; Very nice:yes::clap::bowdown:

pickelhead
08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
What a great idea! Who built it and for how much?

Big Arm
08-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Nice looking trailer :2thumbs:

Burt
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
What a great idea! Who built it and for how much?

JD is the guy's name. Here is his website: www.jdbrand.com (http://www.jdbrand.com/MotorcycleTrailer.htm)
The cost varies as he will build it custom for you. I got a great deal as mine is the one that shows on his website and he had it around for a while. He painted it gloss black, replaced the cooler rack with the front compartment that holds the electric fuel pump and redid the taillights. He will make it with air ride suspension if desired. Great guy to work with.

Burt
08-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Hey Burt, glad you made it home OK. We found this site on our web tracker and want to thank you for purchasing and sharing our trailers with others. It looks great hooked to your Spyder. How did you do pulling the trailer ? Did it affect your mileage any. We had a great trip (2,000 miles) delivering the trailer and really missed it on the way home as we had to start watching for gas stops and had no room for souvenirs on the bike. We have updated the site with all the new air trailers that we spoke about. Again thanks for the kind words on this site. Here's some pics of our bike in delivery mode....

JD

We got along well pulling the trailer. Our mileage dropped down about 1.5 mpg, but we also were traveling interstate and traveling faster than we normally do. It was great working with you and we are looking forward to doing more traveling with the Spyder in the future. Glad your trip went well and hope you didn't make any wrong turns on the way home. :)

Spyderific
08-28-2012, 09:41 AM
JD, what part of Nevada are you located? We spend winters in the Las Vegas area and this year we will have our RT with us. I am interested in a trailer as well.

Questions
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
JD, what part of Nevada are you located? We spend winters in the Las Vegas area and this year we will have our RT with us. I am interested in a trailer as well.

60 miles west of Vegas.

pickelhead
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Anybody know what happened to the companies website?

cougar
09-20-2012, 10:08 PM
60 miles west of Vegas.

AREA 51??

spyderbirds
09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Anybody know what happened to the companies website?

The site is still there, just a problem with the link. Try it with just up through the .com

Tx web rider
09-20-2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.jdbrand.com/motorcycletrailer.html

he does have some interesting trailers for bikes

tdoug60
09-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Very nice, make me one?

retread
09-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Do you have to stop for fuel transfer? I noticed a mention of a quick disconnect, how does it all work?
Thanks,

john

Burt
09-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Do you have to stop for fuel transfer? I noticed a mention of a quick disconnect, how does it all work?
Thanks,

john

Mine is set up that I have to stop for the fuel transfer. JD told me he had his set up to transfer on the go.

Questions
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks,

john

Hey John. Mine had a quick connect fitting at the hitch that was plumbed into the tank cap and had a fuel pump on the bike that would let me fill while riding. It's nice for those guys called IRON BUTT RIDERS but I still like getting off the bike and stretching the legs. Having the fuel either way is a game changer on long trips. ;)
Here are some pics of the quick coupler. I sold the bike that it was on and don't have any of them but you can see the way it connects to the bike. The other pics are the hose and pump that let you transfer fuel. Power is either a 12v plug or an on board battery. If you use a battery, the recharging can be done with a solar panel or a hot line from the bike with a solenoid like on a travel trailer. If you use a 12v plug than your just plugging the cord into the bike than turn on the pump and open ball valve to transfer fuel. A DIY system is very easy and is a safe way to carry extra fuel. Out west here are some roads we travel that have no service for hundreds of miles and having the extra fuel will allow you to take these very scenic routes. Hope this helps you and others.
JD........

Questions
10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Hey Burt. Got the plate in the mail the other day. Thanks for sending it back so quick. Have you guys been out on a trip yet? Let us know if your ever coming over the hill and we can meet up.
JD........:cheers:

elpaso
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Thinking of retirement and would like to get a trailer like this. Did you purchase cam an hitch for 514? and 4 pin for 144?

Burt
10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Thinking of retirement and would like to get a trailer like this. Did you purchase cam an hitch for 514? and 4 pin for 144?

I bought the Can Am hitch and I don't remember the exact price but it was somewhere around that price. I bought the can am 4 wire trailer harness and made an adapter to go from the Spyder module to the 4 pin flat on the trailer. Since he will build it custom you could go a couple of ways. You could have it built with the Can Am trailer harness wired direct to the trailer and then it would connect directly to the Spyder. You would then have to buy the Can Am adapter if you wanted to use the trailer with another vehicle other than the Spyder. Or you can do as I did and make your own adapter and have the trailer wired with the 4 pin flat.

I can tell you he was great to deal with and would work with you to get it set up however you want it.

As a side note I see he is making custom fuel tanks to add to existing trailers made by other companies.

retread
10-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey John. Mine had a quick connect fitting at the hitch that was plumbed into the tank cap and had a fuel pump on the bike that would let me fill while riding. It's nice for those guys called IRON BUTT RIDERS but I still like getting off the bike and stretching the legs. Having the fuel either way is a game changer on long trips. ;)
Here are some pics of the quick coupler. I sold the bike that it was on and don't have any of them but you can see the way it connects to the bike. The other pics are the hose and pump that let you transfer fuel. Power is either a 12v plug or an on board battery.
I'm thinking of modifying a gas cap with a line going to the tank I'll put on my trailer; a low pressure pump with a push button on the handlebar, and I should be good to go.
Thanks for the pix.

john

NancysToy
10-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking of modifying a gas cap with a line going to the tank I'll put on my trailer; a low pressure pump with a push button on the handlebar, and I should be good to go.
Thanks for the pix.

john
I'd think twice about that one, John. The unprotected fuel line on the tongue is a liability, especially in an accident. Without any kind of automatic flow stopping, in an accident or if the trailer broke loose, you could spray or siphon gas all over the place. The long transfer line buried in the body poses some serious safety issues, too. In case of failure, you would spray the hot engine and exhaust with fuel before you could hit the shutoff switch. Much safer to use external, manual transfer.

Bob Denman
10-14-2012, 09:29 AM
So let me see if I can get this straight... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif
You're towing your own filling station behind you because of the reduced fuel mileage you get while towing a trailer?? :shocked: :roflblack: :joke:

ARtraveler
10-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Nice looking trailer. :thumbup: