PDA

View Full Version : 1St Service required by BRP

Spyderman
11-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Looking to get some feedback and prices on the 625 mile service. Getting prices from $162.00 to over $500.00 and confusion on whether the valves do indeed need to be check as required in owners manual. I'm at 550 now and plan on getting it done this weekend.

tfjunkie
11-07-2007, 03:17 PM
The first service is mostly an oil change and giving the vehicle a good once over.
This includes checking the valve clearances.

The valves are shim under bucket, so to replace a shim in the valve train the cams will have to be removed to access the buckets.

This is what makes the big $$$$dif.
Checking them should be the 160-200 range, adjusting can get closer to 400-500 do to the labor involved in accessing the shims.

Hey see if they have any service manuals yet would ya!?
thanks!

Spyderman
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Well it has started. I brought it to another Can Am dealer 40 miles away because of the service price diff $162-$475. I also had them charge me the hour and install the handlebar riser. My wife and I were there at 9am and left at 2:30. She took the Spyder and I rode my Rune . When I got home she said the idle was running higher 1450-1500 than before 13580-1400. I sat on the bike and also noticed the handelbar wasn't straight. It looks like they missed it by 1 spline too much to the left, so I have to drive it back next Saturday to get it corrected. Does this BS ever stop? :-[

Spyd3r
11-21-2007, 02:39 PM
What does the riser do for you and how tall are you? Is it better, besdies it not being on straight?

Spyderman
11-22-2007, 08:16 PM
5'10" and I always tend to lean down and same with my 109, it makes your wrists sore so I added 2" to my 9 and what a diff. 1" is better for the Spyder but they could have gone 2" also.

barb36jack31
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I saw a posting somewhere that BRP had dropped the valve setting check until the 10K service. With that out of the way, you are looking at a 4 Qt. oil change with filter plus two O rings. Even allowing for the time to check the bike over, I would think the price should be fairly reasonable.

Jack H.

Way2Fast
12-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I saw a posting somewhere that BRP had dropped the valve setting check until the 10K service. With that out of the way, you are looking at a 4 Qt. oil change with filter plus two O rings. Even allowing for the time to check the bike over, I would think the price should be fairly reasonable.

Jack H.

Oil change requires the new filter plus an O ring for the oil filter container and 2 compression washers, one for the oil tank drain and one for the drain located under the engine. I know on Sea-doo watercraft the oil canister O ring can be re-used several times as long as it has not been damaged. I imagine this would also be true for the Spyder.

Richard

providerex
12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I paid 325 for my first service.
they check for fault codes
review rpm history to check for over revving
oil change
oil filter
o-rings
check plugs
check belt tension
check brake system
Valve Adjustment is pushed to 6.250 miles
test ride the machine
hard brake the machine
took them about 2 hours

kma10-4
12-21-2007, 02:13 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/2125797507_bffb16166b_o.jpg

Slim Jim
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Where can one get the handle bar riser it wasn't on the accessory list. I am 6'-2" and don't like leaning over more than I have too.

kma10-4
01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
through a can am dealer. part #219400087

matusky
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I paid 325 for my first service.
they check for fault codes
review rpm history to check for over revving
oil change
oil filter
o-rings
check plugs
check belt tension
check brake system
Valve Adjustment is pushed to 6.250 miles
test ride the machine
hard brake the machine
took them about 2 hours

Hmm, over revving..... they're not kidding about that break-in 'take it easy' stuff are they? I would assume they'd make notations in your warranty docs if they noticed you tach'd it out when you had 100 miles on it right?

morgcl
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I was just quoted a price of 1 hour labor plus oil for $155 total for the first service. this is a north jax motor sports on armsdale road jacksonville fl.

sure beats the $400 plus parts i was quoted from the stealership where i bought the bike

NAVYDOG
04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I do not have a Spyder yet as my dealer in Ohio does not have them yet. On the issue of shim-under-bucket valve lash adjustment, it seems archaic as many motorcycles now have hydraulic lash adjusters. The 1998 Honda 750 Nighthawk I had was a DOHC inline four with maintenance free hydraulic lash adjusters. It wouldn't be that difficult for BRP Rotax to engineer hydraulic adjusters into the V-twin and eliminate the hassle and expense to owners. Just my two cents worth!

Lamonster
04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I do not have a Spyder yet as my dealer in Ohio does not have them yet. On the issue of shim-under-bucket valve lash adjustment, it seems archaic as many motorcycles now have hydraulic lash adjusters. The 1998 Honda 750 Nighthawk I had was a DOHC inline four with maintenance free hydraulic lash adjusters. It wouldn't be that difficult for BRP Rotax to engineer hydraulic adjusters into the V-twin and eliminate the hassle and expense to owners. Just my two cents worth!

My M109R has shim under bucket too. Kinda sux :-[

Way2Fast
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
The more adjustments the more the dealer makes....just part of the game. I wonder how many dealers ACTUALLY check the valve lash? I would bet that it is in the minority !!! Easy money for them.

Richard

barb36jack31
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I just found out yesterday that the dealer did NOT replace the O ring gasket when the oil filter was changed. I went to the parts department to purchase an oil filter and O ring for my next oil change. I was told they did not have any oil rings. In fact, they could not even find a stock number for the O ring. I asked what the service dept used when they did my first service and was told they did not change it - just re-used the old one. Probably no damage done. I am not leaking any oil, so I guess all is well. Sure would like to find a source for my oil changes, though.

Jack H

srarndt
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I just found out yesterday that the dealer did NOT replace the O ring gasket when the oil filter was changed. I went to the parts department to purchase an oil filter and O ring for my next oil change. I was told they did not have any oil rings. In fact, they could not even find a stock number for the O ring. I asked what the service dept used when they did my first service and was told they did not change it - just re-used the old one. Probably no damage done. I am not leaking any oil, so I guess all is well. Sure would like to find a source for my oil changes, though.

Jack H

Your parts people at the dealer are not up to speed. All Spyder dealers do have access to this info and should have ordered them. If they do not get up and running you might contact Ken/Evoluzione cuz he sells 'em.

Here are the numbers:
Filter 420956745

Gasket (crushwasher) 420250640 (you need 2 per change)

O ring 420650500

Hope this helps!
Steve

barb36jack31
04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks Steve.The info and stock #s were great!

Jack H.

COSpyder
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
So I HAVE to have the first service done by a dealer? What if I have someone who can do it all and has the tools? Will this void my warranty?

sabunim5
04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I think that is a question you will have to ask BRP. If you have it done by someone besides your dealer, be sure and documnet it.