PDA

View Full Version : Two interesting? Things

Questions
08-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Thing 1:
I was backing my RT off my trailer a week or so ago. Had just reached a point where it had begun to coast , albiet quickly down the ramps, and I heard this sharp metallic noise, and the bike stopped abruptly. I hit the brake, shifted to 1st, looked around under the bike,etc, and tried it again.

Same thing, except this time I noticed that the parking brake was on. I then realized that it was on the first time as well.

So back on the trailer, back into reverse, but this time I shift to N as it begins to coast down ramps, and put it in P myself. Get off the bike, check under bike for good clearance, all was fine. Backed the rest of the way down in N and using foot brake without further problem.

Any thoughts on what caused parking brake to engage?

Thing 2:
i recently bought a new (untitled) 2010 Can Am trailer. Pulled it from New Orleans th SW Ga behind my pickup; that was a conversation starter when I stopped to refuel.

Anyway, the next day I remembered the lock barrel that was included when I bought my Spyder. So I looked for instructions, but found none. I should have checked here, but did not. I did verify that my keys fit, and they seemed to. So I went , opened the rear trailer lid, inserted the lock, inserted the key into the lock and turned the key. As expected, it turned to a horizontal position (locked), but will not unlock. I tried jiggling the key, taking it out and inserting it several times, but discovered that now the key does not insert all the way, which is probably why it will not unlock.
i then placed a bolt through the hole where the rear latch would normally pass to lock the lid. This keeps the lid from closing, thus keeps it from locking.

How can I get that lock out or the key into it?

Have the feeling it may involve a locksmith

Thanks all

gmcgarrity
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
if the lid is closed you are in trouble have to go back to the dealer
the tumbler goes in one way
if the lid is not closed remove the plastic on the inside and get to the lock assembly
take the back plate off and you will see 4 screws
take these out and you will see a one way plunger on the tumbler
slide it inwards and the tumbler will come out
rotate it 180 degrees re insert and test it
there is a small spring and ball don't lose them.

if the lid is closed big trouble

good luck

geo

pickelhead
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
If it's locked you will have to drill out the cylinder and have the whole barrel replaced.