PDA

View Full Version : Rode Spyder to Key West

rbrannum
11-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I got tired of waiting and bought the Spyder that came up for sale on EBay.

Took delivery last Thursday and rode it from Tampa to Key West and then back to Tampa for the 600 miles service. Had about 850 miles on it at this time. As I said, I left on Thursday and returned on Saturday. The seller was Barneys Motorcycle as an agent for a gent who backed out due to a death in the riding family. I found Barney's to be one of the most up front dealers that I have ever dealt with. I recommend them to anyone!!!

About the Spyder. I also have a VRod and an FJR 1300 that I ride. As far as the ride, it is very similar to the VRod. Lots of wind due to the small windshield. the Spyder is very quick and is easy to handle in traffic. I was disappointed in the gas milage as it was mostly 25 miles to the gallon.

After Barney's serviced the bike I rode it home to Guntersville, Alabama. The total trip was about 1,550 miles. On the last leg, from Atlanta to Guntersville the gas milage improved slightly to about 30 MPG. I hope this is evidence that it will continue to improve.

More about the Spyder. I have a heavy foot and that is probably what is wrong with the milage. I can attest that it will go from 0 to 60 in less than 5 seconds, and at 90 MPH it is just as smooth as the VRod, but not quite as smooth as the FJR. Both the other bikes top end at a much higher speed. I never completely opened up the Spyder but know that it will do 100 MPH. On the trip, where possible, and after the break-in service I cruised at 80 MPH. I found the seat to be comfortable for the long ride and do not intend to make any changes.

One big surprised is the amount of storage in the turtle deck on the front. I carried one of the FJR saddle bag inserts and a tank bag. I could have left the tank bag home as all my gear could be packed around the FJR bag. Since I did have the tank bag I put it on the passenger seat and anchored it with a net - worked out real nice as I could still raise the seat to fuel the Spyder. Thought about buying the optional case that is made to fit the passenger seat, but realized that with it you would have to take it loose to fuel the Spyder.

If anyone has any questions I will be glad to give you my opinion. By the way I insured it with State Farm and the premium was about $750.00 annually. That even after I had totaled two cycles in the last 3 or 4 years.

Please excuse the typos.

Ray Brannum
rdb@mindspring.com

Spyderman
11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Can I ask what they charged for the first service and did it include the oil change?

rbrannum
11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
$162.00 and it included an oil change.

Lamonster
11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Great report. Thanks. I hope to put some long miles on mine too. Hope the mileage comes up some more, I get 21mpg on my Boss Hoss. ::)

Spyd3r
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Did they have to adjust the clearance or just check it? That is the longest riding report I have heard of, but it was comfortable the who trip? Did you or do you see a need for the handle bar riser?

Spyderman
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I am at 510 miles now and will hit the first service mark this week. I got the riser, but I have decided to spend the hour labor and have the dealer do it, that way if something gets scratched or damaged, it's their responsibility. Besides, I can't find by puller. This has been a blast so far and I also got a 3rd place Peoples Choice trophy Saturday night. It did draw some MEGA attention!

Spyd3r
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Spyderman
Seen your trio of motorcycles, nice. You must not be married or have kids with all those toys. I always tell people who are like " how come you never had kids?" I tell them i have not bought all my toys yet, why should I buy someones toys. :joke:
Let us know if that riser is worth it or not. I really can not see how 1" would make a big difference. They say it is for taller people, but I think short people would benefit better?

Spyderman
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Married, 2 Daughters 28 & 32, 4 Grandchildren 3,4,5, and 13. By the way, I just called my dealer and asked about the 625 mile service and they quoted me $475.00 if they have to adjust the valves. My first service on my Vette was only $75.00. People are going to be pist if they have to spend $500.00 on this bike during the first 625 miles! :edit:

Spyd3r
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Seriously doubt valves need adjusting, everthing I have read about and having a few motorhead friends, that motor is tight. Dealer techs that went to the classes even said don't worry about it.
Seen your pics on BRP granpa :bigthumbsup:

joet
11-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I am at 510 miles now and will hit the first service mark this week. I got the riser, but I have decided to spend the hour labor and have the dealer do it, that way if something gets scratched or damaged, it's their responsibility. Besides, I can't find by puller. This has been a blast so far and I also got a 3rd place Peoples Choice trophy Saturday night. It did draw some MEGA attention!

where did you get the riser? from the dealer or aftermarket?

Spyderman
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I ordered it a few months ago from the dealer.

joet
11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
is this riser a BRP part? does it make a difference when riding, cost Thanks

DLPeace
11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
;DI just took my first ride on the spyder today ;D ;D ;D ;DThats all I can say.