PDA

View Full Version : I would like to some one with an RT with ELKA shocks

Spyder12
08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi I would like to meet some one in the Portland, Oregon area with an RT-SE5 that has Replaced

there front shock with Elka shocks. Are they better then the stock shocks? Do they really make

the bike handle better? Because they are a little pricey @ $600.00. Because I would like to get

better handling out of bike. I seems that the stock shocks are so cheaply made. I have an

2010 RT-SE5 with Corbin seat.

Buttsy
08-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the "mania" known as Spyder Lovers. If I were you, post up what you don't like about the "handling" specifically and you will get lots of conversion folks with lots of details about what you should expect?

Cheers and again welcome........

spacetrucker
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
My dad ( spacetrucker ) has them and i have taken his rts-se5 out with the new elka 1+ set at 30 and digs right in to the coners well and really made a big dif. in riding the bike. just get them from len, and they will set them up to your riding stile. dad says hi to all doing really good so far. anyway have fun riding...Ch.w

Tru-Blue
08-19-2012, 08:31 PM
My dad ( spacetrucker ) has them and i have taken his rts-se5 out with the new elka 1+ set at 30 and digs right in to the coners well and really made a big dif. in riding the bike. just get them from len, and they will set them up to your riding stile. dad says hi to all doing really good so far. anyway have fun riding...Ch.w

:agree:

Arr MiHardies
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
You have a 2010 RT. if you don't want to spring for Elkas, try purchasing some used shocks from a 2011+. The shocks were upgraded in those models and they make a noticeable difference. There are several floating around from apx 110$

dmdahnert
08-20-2012, 07:23 AM
I've got a 2010 RT SE5 and I replaced the standard shocks with Elkas at Spyderfest this year. For me, it was an awesome decision! I regularly fought with the bike when dealing with semis and the buffeting winds that occur as well as knew I had to "wrestle" the front end occassionally. Put the Elkas on and 2 things happened...my partner asked why it took so long to make the change and my shoulders went into immediate relief mode. The passenger noticed even before I did that the ride was smoother and no getting knocked around by the big rigs. For me, everything is just smoother and the bike handles easily in the "twisties".

Diana

Spyder Couple
08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi I would like to meet some one in the Portland, Oregon area with an RT-SE5 that has Replaced

there front shock with Elka shocks. Are they better then the stock shocks? Do they really make

the bike handle better? Because they are a little pricey @ $600.00. Because I would like to get

better handling out of bike. I seems that the stock shocks are so cheaply made. I have an

2010 RT-SE5 with Corbin seat.

We live in Forest Grove and love the Elka shocks we have on our 2011 RTS. Yes they handle alot better in our opinion.
I don't have them on my 2012 RT AC yet but will in the next few months and I can tell the difference.

Dragonrider
08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Personally, I opted for Works shocks & love them. The real difference is two-up riding - for that, the difference is profound. My riding style is not as aggressive as it once was, so I can't claim much there, other than there's far less buffeting on I-5… If you're in Tualatin, let me know & you can try my Spyder out.

saint999
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't know why a few of people here suggested the shocks are better on the 2011+ RT model. I have a 2012 RT Limited and they are adjusted up as far as they go and still unstable at highway speeds. I also called Works Shocks today and found their lowest set to be $100 more expensive then the Elkas 1R+. I will be upgrading to the Elkas within the next few weeks.
Thanks all for your thoughts here.

Arr MiHardies
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't know why a few of people here suggested the shocks are better on the 2011+ RT model. I have a 2012 RT Limited and they are adjusted up as far as they go and still unstable at highway speeds. I also called Works Shocks today and found their lowest set to be $100 more expensive then the Elkas 1R+. I will be upgrading to the Elkas within the next few weeks.
Thanks all for your thoughts here.

I said it because they are. Are they as good as can be? no. but they are an inexpensive way to get a noticable improvement.

saint999
08-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I said it because they are. Are they as good as can be? no. but they are an inexpensive way to get a noticable improvement.

Arr: I understand, I guess I assumed everyone meant they were as good as something like the high performance upgrade.

Arr MiHardies
08-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Arr: I understand, I guess I assumed everyone meant they were as good as something like the high performance upgrade.

I'd like to add that given the number of folks who have upgraded to Elkas, there is a large number of slightly used shocks out there that can be purchased inexpensively. I think the going rate was around 125$

Tru-Blue
08-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd like to add that given the number of folks who have upgraded to Elkas, there is a large number of slightly used shocks out there that can be purchased inexpensively. I think the going rate was around 125$

They are wrapped and sitting in the back of the garage. arr MiHardies is correct on the price.

Patrick

Arr MiHardies
08-28-2012, 12:12 AM
They are wrapped and sitting in the back of the garage. arr MiHardies is correct on the price.

Patrick

Personally, I'm keeping mine. They'll be going back on if i ever trade in the spyder on another one, as my elkas will be staying with me.

Slybird
09-01-2012, 01:10 PM

I totally agree, my friend. I had a 2010 RT-S, got rid of it because of the buggy computer and lack of qualified service department at SK NW....but eventually got back into another Spyder four months (and 8,800 miles) ago. I IMMEDIATELY noticed a huge difference in the way the 2012 Limited handled compared to the 2010. While the front shocks may not be as nice as the Elka's, they are far superior than the stock shocks on the 2010 models.