PDA

View Full Version : the right to left movement while driven,,swaying inisde the lane

Tagalong1
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
how can i fix the swaying inside the lane while i drive down the rode..iam afraid of a policeman pulling me over..i have ask 3 or 4 dealers around virginia and they say there is nothing to do for it...i think it is dangerous..when i bought this and test drove it ..it was slow speeds..it is ok..but when i went on a trip to pa..on I81 at high speeds..boy it is a hand full..i checked tire pressure too..but i got use to it ..but i wouldnt want to do this all the time..if an help would b liked..thanks..tagalong..:pray:

Mspiv
08-17-2012, 12:57 PM
How long have your been on a Spyder mileage wise? Did you come from 2 wheels? Is it an rt or RS?

If there is nothing wrong with the Spyder as the BRP people are telling you than you probably need to learn to ride more relaxed. If you have a death grip on the handlebars than your tendency is to fight against the computer, if you do that you will definitely wobble and eventually the computer will win and you will be one exhausted puppy after a ride.

Try relaxing your grip and your arms. Trust the bike and smile.

CyncySpyder
08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
If you keep a really light grip on the handle bars and brace yourself more with your knees, and then let the Spyder do its thing, you'll be happier I think with the results. Some roads are crowned more than others and this (movement) is an unfortunate by-product of having a 3rd wheel in the center of a lane up on top of the crown. The rear wheel is going to want to 'slide' to either one side or the other. Only real way to avoid it, is by trying to ryde either to the far left or right side of the lane. Other than that, do what we do and enjoy 'Dance'n In The Seat' :yes::yes:

SteveMac
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Usually a simple fix, but I don't see what model you are on.

Typical items to verify:

Front tire pressure is appropriate 15-20 psi depending on your preferences.
Be sure whatever PSI you choose, it is EQUAL in both front tires.
Be sure to have a slight "toe in" on the allignment (see your dealer)
Grip the handle bars loosely, but securely, as if you were holding a bird, but preventing it from flying away. Do not oversteer, this is the most common problem.
Be sure your shocks are set a little more firm than the factory settings. 4-5
Depending on your mileage, if new shocks are warranted, aftermarket shock like ELKA can help.
If all this fails be sure your dealer checks all tie rods and ball joints for wear.
When presented with buffeting, grip the tank area slightly with your knees to secure your riding position.

One or more of these items is very likely to solve your problem and give you a more secure feeling on the highways.:thumbup:

Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Dave and Steve have given you the best advice that could be given... so please give it a try and let us know if it helps! :thumbup:
By the way... :welcome:

dannymax
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Don't know what you have for a :ani29:, RT or RS but I felt the same issues on my RS, after doing all the above suggestions, and adding a sway bar, I couldn't be happier with it. :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
08-17-2012, 01:56 PM
:congrats: & :welcome:

You've found the :firstplace: site on the www for ANYthing & EVERYthing :f_spider: Related, so Welcome Aboard:yes::thumbup::yes:

PS........ You may want to add what year and model of Spyder that you have, along with any (future?) mods that you make to your signiture line, that way, whenever you ask a question in the future, those of us that may be able to offer insight have some much needed info to steer you in the right direction;)

ThreeWheels
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Have the dealers checked the front alignment.I went through two front alignments before BRP developed a jig to hold the front wheels straight.Sounds more like a physical problem to me but I may be biased.

warp10
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
The crown in the road does pull the spyder to one side or the other. It is a little worse on an RS than an RT, the RT has a little wider wheel base. Just ride to one side of the center of your lane or the other. Try riding and see which side you like. The road is wore down some also. you will be able to find a spot in the road that the spyder seems to like and stay put. Good luck and have fun.

leenanj
08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
how can i fix the swaying inside the lane while i drive down the rode..iam afraid of a policeman pulling me over..i have ask 3 or 4 dealers around virginia and they say there is nothing to do for it...i think it is dangerous..when i bought this and test drove it ..it was slow speeds..it is ok..but when i went on a trip to pa..on I81 at high speeds..boy it is a hand full..i checked tire pressure too..but i got use to it ..but i wouldnt want to do this all the time..if an help would b liked..thanks..tagalong..:pray:

I know exactly what your talking about, that was one of the problems I did not like when I got my RT.
I could slow down on the turns to help with the roll but the swaying back and forth especially when riding two up at highway speeds was unnerving at times.

I went with Elkas and setup from Cowtown and they eliminated this problem completely.

The other solution I used with the stock setup was going to the 5 (hardest) setting on shocks, 25 lbs air pressure in front tires.
I even added rubber spacers to the stock coils to stiffen them even further
This helped a lot on the body roll and leaning in the turns.

Tagalong1
08-18-2012, 09:15 AM

i would like to thanks all to tel me what to do...ill try to figure this out...i have a 2012 rt..i came from a 2008 rs to this and this is way different...so slow down and figure the crown in the road..i forgot about the crown..lol..and relax..lol..thanks once again to and enjoy..

NancysToy
08-18-2012, 10:31 AM
With your previous Spyder experience, I'd think you would be used to keeping a light touch on the bars. The RT does react a bit differently, it has much more wind influence, and has more body sway due to the higher center of gravity and relatively soft suspension. First thing IO would recommend is setting up the front suspension preload to #4 or #5. I'd also check the front tire pressure, at least 17-18 pounds seems best. If your Spyder also follows every crack and bump in the road, you probably need the front end aligned. That is a sign of too little toe-in. Few dealers understand this, or are equipped to check it, so be prepared for a bit of a hassle. Have them set it to the maximum specified, or a little more. I believe there is a revised spec for this for the latest Spyders, and that would be the best to use, especially if you are heavy or carry a passenger a lot. I'd also have them check your steering sensor calibration, just to be thorough. They should do this as part of the alignment procedure anyway.

Gortwol
08-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Every thing said is true, left and right movement is part and parcel of the Spyder experience, it freak me out in the beginning but have adapted my style to accommodate it. The camber of the road is a constant and every ryder needs to be aware of it. Un natural swaying should be checked but that "easy laid back sway" is there to enjoy. BTW 2011 RTs loaded to max, front shock on five, rear on "four", tyres on factory recommend is what we ryde. And it floats like a ship akin to ryding a camel!!!!!!!!

chris56
08-21-2012, 12:53 AM
I would look for some of the Ryding-video-clips ...

mine is a 2010RT where I had to change the horrible front-shocks to the 2011 Modell (maybe this is your problem ???) - she runs perfect now (17.000 mls)

look here :

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=276

Bob Denman
08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
With your previous Spyder experience, I'd think you would be used to keeping a light touch on the bars. The RT does react a bit differently, it has much more wind influence, and has more body sway due to the higher center of gravity and relatively soft suspension. .

And those longer bars offer up more leverage; it's easier to add steering input that you don't want to add...