PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise... Please help

juliantrost
08-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Hope someone can set my mind at ease and tell me that it is just me being paranoid. So, I have a 2012 RS SE model with 240 miles on it; literally 2 months old. When I start the bike up, literally 2 seconds after start up, I hear noise coming out of engine area that sounds like a bunch of fans going. I checked the right side, where the fan is, but it is not on. The bike shows 4 heat bars in matter of 5 minutes, while idle. It rides fine, shifts fine, the heat gauge is between 4 and 5 bars, but that "fan noise" stays on as long as the bike is running; whether riding or idle. Is this normal operations method for the Rotax engine or should I bring it into the shop and have them check it out? I have no engine or fuel management mods on the bike and only installed the TB slip-on exhaust, which I wouldn't expect playing any role in this. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice you can make.

NancysToy
08-17-2012, 08:03 AM
I think you are probably just hearing normal engine sounds, but in this case I think the best thing is to see your dealer, have them listen, then have them explain what you are hearing. You will be less worried that way. If it still worries you, ride a demo and compare. Remember that an RS and RT will sound quite different, so ride what you own.

juliantrost
08-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I think you are probably just hearing normal engine sounds, but in this case I think the best thing is to see your dealer, have them listen, then have them explain what you are hearing. You will be less worried that way. If it still worries you, ride a demo and compare. Remember that an RS and RT will sound quite different, so ride what you own.

Thank you!

Arr MiHardies
08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
As for heat, running between 4 and 5 bars is normal for my rt.

Blue Star
08-17-2012, 11:22 AM

:agree: I know my spyder sounds different when I have my full compared to my half helmet, so I asked my mechanic if the sounds were normal. After he rode it he came back and told me everything was normal.
Then charged me the $100 diagnostic fee :joke:

donnellpj
08-17-2012, 11:31 AM
:agree: I know my spyder sounds different when I have my full compared to my half helmet, so I asked my mechanic if the sounds were normal. After he rode it he came back and told me everything was normal.
Then charged me the $100 diagnostic fee :joke:

Wish I made $100 for ryding my Spyder,...sounds like a good gig! :rolleyes: