PDA

View Full Version : GPS Voice Module

Ride Master
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Can't figure it out. I have the master volume at 100% the mix volumes at 100%

When I remove the GPS from it's factory mount, I can hear the voice commands fine.

When I connect it to the mount, nothing...

I can hear the external speakers playing the fm but nothing from the GPS
Help

Ride Master
Laguna Niguel, CA

quickster47
08-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I just installed my zumo 660 and having the same problem. Looking through all the documentation now and if I find a solution I'll post it here later.

Carl

x-winger
08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I experienced the same problem. In addition to what you have already done, turn your FM volume up to almost max level and then mute it. You should then be able to hear the GPS voice. I don't like this solution, but it does work for me. Since I don't listen to the FM, it is just annoying to have to do it this way. If anyone knows a better solution, I would like to know what it is.

Ed

quickster47
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Thus far I've found nothing in the Spyder manual or the zumo 660 manual. Surely with such a sophisticated setup there has to be a reliable way to get the GPS audio to play through the on-board radio.

Carl

revjvegas
08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Is the Garmin software up to date?

Sounds silly, but I found that mentioned in the shop manual.

ThreeWheels
08-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Sorry for the very basic questions, but I have to ask....

Did you hook up the GPS to the intercom system using the OEM adapter cable ? If not, you won't get any sound through the intercom.

Check the routing of the wire. If you do the installation yourself and your not careful about the wire routing, then you can pinch the audio wire which shorts it out and you get no volume from the GPS.

Please.................DAMHIKT.

CyncySpyder
08-17-2012, 04:24 AM
DAMHIKT.

:dontknow::hun::dontknow:

harrypottar
08-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Just as a point of reference I have the 660, it came with the limited and I do not have to crank up the FM volume. I have GPS master volume at 100% the mixer volumes adjusted to my tastes but not at 100%. The Spyder volume for the radio/iPod is normal and works fine. There have been two firmware updates for the 660 since i got it in late May, but it worked before that.

Just a thought, try cleaning the contacts on both the GPS and the mount. Did the dealer install the GPS if so have them look at it. If there are any pictures of settings you would like me to snap just let me know

Harry

revjvegas
08-17-2012, 06:01 AM
DAMHIKT

:dontknow::hun::dontknow:

"Dont Ask Me How I Know This"
:)

So sorta like BTDT

quickster47
08-17-2012, 07:40 AM
My setup is on a 2012 Limited and is the OEM set up. Did nothing but unbox the unit, update the map software and the firmware in the unit and then place it in the installed mount.

I just downloaded some tunes on my 16 gb micro SD card and going to give it a try. Last night I did try one of the installed audio book samplers and I did hear some sound coming through the Spyder speaker system.

Carl

harrypottar
08-17-2012, 07:47 AM
My setup is on a 2012 Limited and is the OEM set up. Did nothing but unbox the unit, update the map software and the firmware in the unit and then place it in the installed mount.

I just downloaded some tunes on my 16 gb micro SD card and going to give it a try. Last night I did try one of the installed audio book samplers and I did hear some sound coming through the Spyder speaker system.

Carl

Friendly post, please read as such.

Not to question you... but in post 4 you said you have the same issue and later on you commented that there was nothing in the manual to fix this.

Did you initially have the issue and the downloads fixed it or did you find the super secret hidden settings screen to fix it?

tia

harry

quickster47
08-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Still have not heard the GPS directions coming through the Spyder but last night when listening to the audio book sampler it would play through the Spyder but it was very erratic. Sort of like when the book had a pause the radio would take over. Then when the book audio came back up it would take over and play through the Spyder. I would have to increase the volume to make anything out of what was being said on the book. But when it went quiet and the radio played it was way too loud.

I just tried listening to some music I loaded and I could not get it to play through the Spyder.

Carl

stevedfive
08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I have all the volume levels on the GPS set to 100% and use the volume controls on the bike to adjust the volume levels for the front speakers or helmet. Works fine for me.

Ride Master
08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Good question, It came with the bike and the dealer installed the headset and CB system and entertainment cable.

Sorry for the very basic questions, but I have to ask....

Did you hook up the GPS to the intercom system using the OEM adapter cable ? If not, you won't get any sound through the intercom.

Check the routing of the wire. If you do the installation yourself and your not careful about the wire routing, then you can pinch the audio wire which shorts it out and you get no volume from the GPS.

Please.................DAMHIKT.

Macca
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Still have not heard the GPS directions coming through the Spyder but last night when listening to the audio book sampler it would play through the Spyder but it was very erratic. Sort of like when the book had a pause the radio would take over. Then when the book audio came back up it would take over and play through the Spyder. I would have to increase the volume to make anything out of what was being said on the book. But when it went quiet and the radio played it was way too loud.

I just tried listening to some music I loaded and I could not get it to play through the Spyder.

Carl

If your using your SD card on the 660 to listen to any audio it is very erratic. It may be either the size of the card or how loaded the card is with audio. This also happened to me. I just use my secondary iPhone plugged in the trunk.

harrypottar
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
The 660 is not a great device to play music on when wired into the Spyder.

The GPS (660) as priority over all audio, so if your listening to the radio, xm, weather, iPod etc and a direction comes in it you will hear it.

When you're playing audio (music or books) via the GPS the Spyder can not tell the difference between that and a direction. It just sense audio and plays that, when it detects no audio like a low part in a song or between music track it will resume what ever was playing before radio, xm, weather, iPod etc

You are able to physically switch between radio, xm, weather, iPod etc but not the GPS, it always on.

The 660 on the spyder is a not a great option to play music the way its wired and designed to work.

some things to check,

On your spyder:

go to settings -> audio -> make sure your speakers are on. They should be as your hearing FM radio but double check.

Then go to headset and check you have it on mix, if you have it on mute or off and your testing the GPS voice with out the head set on you will not get the right results.

On the GPS:

From the main screen choose audio, make sure mute is off and volume is 100%, then go into mixer and set both master and navigation to 100%

Then back the main screen go into tool -> settings -> system

make sure the usage mode is motorcycle (audio is handled differently between car and motorcycle mount)

See if any of that helps

other than that I would run back to the dealer

harry

revjvegas
08-17-2012, 10:16 PM
alrighty...

I just completed the install of the zumo 660 can-am wire harness etc, was very careful not to excessively bend any wires so as to not break the audio cable yada yada yada.

Followed Harry's outline above, and I have the exact same issue as the OP.

I've got to wonder if there's not something the dealer has to do to the brain in order to get the spyder to see the gps and allow the direction instructions to play through the external speakers.

harrypottar
08-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Another thought but this was to do with the Mic not audio out.

Back in May the instructions that came with the gps mount had a wire connection wrong for the mic. You could not be heard when using the phone via gps. There was a correction that the dealer had to make.

May not be related but thought I would give you all the info I have. If you have a memory card you could load it full of music and keep it playing while testing connections and settings.

If you know anyone close who's 660 is working through the system you could test that in your rig, would narrow down if it's the mount or GPS.

If I think of anything else I will post, very puzzling.

Nancys toy or La Monster have any ideas?

Harry

harrypottar
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM
My GPS was pre-installed as I have the limited, but I did find these they might be helpful

http://youtu.be/cRH4JP7fmZU

http://youtu.be/ql5-rrAxLfY

harry

revjvegas
08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Harry.

Yeah, already saw those videos and I have the printout of the install instructions from the dealer. It is a pretty straight forward install; the only complicated part is all the plastics removal, but I'm accustomed to that having a BMW.

So I'll be checking in with the dealer in the next few days to see what they can come up with.

shrubs
09-23-2012, 04:47 PM
On your spyder:

go to settings -> audio -> make sure your speakers are on. They should be as your hearing FM radio but double check.

Then go to headset and check you have it on mix, if you have it on mute or off and your testing the GPS voice with out the head set on you will not get the right results.

On the GPS:

From the main screen choose audio, make sure mute is off and volume is 100%, then go into mixer and set both master and navigation to 100%

Then back the main screen go into tool -> settings -> system

make sure the usage mode is motorcycle (audio is handled differently between car and motorcycle mount)

This worked for me. I checked all my settings and they were OK. On the on the last step above, I hit restore factory defaults. I'm not sure what that did, but I now hear my GPS!