PDA

View Full Version : BLUE TOOTH INTERCOM

sealfloorboards
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm looking at the SENA SMH-10 BLUE TOOTH for our helmets. Any comments would be appreciated. How does it compare with the Scala System? Now that I have a co-pilot, she wants to talk to me instead of rapping on my helmet in Morse Code. Any help is appreciated.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Monkey
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Sena SMH-10. I bought a pair before a big road trip with my son. I have a little hearing loss and hate the turbulence of a windshield so I was really expecting them not to work well. The sound clarity and volume are outstanding. There were times when my son spoke too loudly into the intercom and I had to turn it down.

I stream music and podcasts from my smartphone to the Sena and answer calls (when safe to do so) with ease. They have been rained on with no issues. Have not ran them out of battery yet and my longest riding day was about 7 hours in the saddle.

Two thumbs up, highly recommended.
David

Firefly
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Sena SMH-10. I bought a pair before a big road trip with my son. I have a little hearing loss and hate the turbulence of a windshield so I was really expecting them not to work well. The sound clarity and volume are outstanding. There were times when my son spoke too loudly into the intercom and I had to turn it down.

I stream music and podcasts from my smartphone to the Sena and answer calls (when safe to do so) with ease. They have been rained on with no issues. Have not ran them out of battery yet and my longest riding day was about 7 hours in the saddle.

Two thumbs up, highly recommended.
David

:agree: I tried the other brands..... Sena is far superior and more versatile....:thumbup:

dancogan
08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
We have had excellent luck with our Sena units. Just added the SH10, which lets me hardwire the GPS and the iPod into it and then broadcasts them to both my wife and me. Love it.

granpa in Cincy
08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
+ 1 for the Sena. Shop wisely, prices vary as much as Sypder dealers 1st service charges. :joke:

Littlebadwolf
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Can't beat Sena...very easy pairing, great volume & clarity, easy controls...updates are good.

Papa
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
+1 :agree:

Dustybell
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Love, love, love our Sena Smh10 set. Can answer the phone and the other people can't tell I'm on my bike. Talking to my hubby is a breeze. We do get a bit of "wind" noise at 60 mph and over, but I can still hear him clearly. Our friend got the Sph10 headset to use with his half helmet and we can talk back and forth, and the conference talk works like a charm.

One to the best investments we made as far as my peace of mind riding by myself.

Leslie

vondalyn
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I have the scala and wish I'd known about/gotten the sena. nojoke

Littlebadwolf
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Downloading the new update to my Sena SMH-10 now...supposedly gonna upgrade something that's already great....:yes:

bbodah
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I also love the Sena. The phone audio quality is excellent. Easy to pair with other friends. I think four is the limit though.

spyder3
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm looking at the SENA SMH-10 BLUE TOOTH for our helmets. Any comments would be appreciated. How does it compare with the Scala System? Now that I have a co-pilot, she wants to talk to me instead of rapping on my helmet in Morse Code. Any help is appreciated.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Well, you may be riding in comfort, but there goes your peace and serenity:roflblack::roflblack:

Arr MiHardies
08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Scala is crap. NO WHERE near loud enough. The volume beeps are deafening at high levels, but the actual audio output is useless. I'm using a SharkTooth right now, and it works very well. Nice and loud too.

Netminder
08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
We love the Sena and they pair very easy to all my other devices!

sealfloorboards
08-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, you may be riding in comfort, but there goes your peace and serenity:roflblack::roflblack:

As they say......."Ya give a little, ya get a lot" :yes: There's lots of levels of comfort:clap: I'm going to order th Sena tonight and continue to.........

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

SpyderRx
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
How does this unit attach to the helmet. Will it attatch to the spot made for the chatterbox in an HJC helmet or is it mounted an alternate way? I am a new Ryder so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Huntindawg1962
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Scala is crap. NO WHERE near loud enough. The volume beeps are deafening at high levels, but the actual audio output is useless. I'm using a SharkTooth right now, and it works very well. Nice and loud too.

:agree: - AVOID the Scala G9's at all cost. Six buttons that you have to press in combinations, durations and sequences to get anything - then they still do whatever the :cus: they want. Try using the voice prompts and you will really see what mind of their own they have! If I was not financially committed I would drop them and change in a heartbeat. People seem to approve of the Sena

BikerDoc
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
As they say......."Ya give a little, ya get a lot" :yes: There's lots of levels of comfort:clap: I'm going to order th Sena tonight and continue to.........

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards
If your order the new 3.0 bluetooth version of the smh 10 you can intercom with up to 4 other sena smh 10s in addition to taking gps and phone, etc My scala shorted outon way to SITA and i got the SENA there. Love it and it was wonderful on 1500 mile ride home

MikeinGA
08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
We love the Sena and they pair very easy to all my other devices!

:agree:

Mike

Littlebadwolf
08-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Side note for those who have Sena's....I think a person mentioned last week or so that there's a new update download on Sena's website...I just downloaded it and it seems substantial...Just a heads up if you haven't downloaded yet..

Sny
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I have to wonder... Of all these people recommending Sena and Scala how many have tried the Uclear headsets?

I've had fantastic performance with mine and won't ever try another helmet comm that has a microphone boom in my face.

Trickie Dick
08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I have to wonder... Of all these people recommending Sena and Scala how many have tried the Uclear headsets?

I've had fantastic performance with mine and won't ever try another helmet comm that has a microphone boom in my face.

The Uclear gets good reviews on Webbikeworld.com http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/uclear-hbc-100/ as does their new bluetooth adapter http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/uclear-wt300/review.htm

Paula(Butch2025)
08-18-2012, 08:43 AM
We have had excellent luck with our Sena units. Just added the SH10, which lets me hardwire the GPS and the iPod into it and then broadcasts them to both my wife and me. Love it.
:agree:We use ours Spyder to Spyder....There have only been a few times they cut out on us, once we were separated in the mountains while traveling in a large group and another time also with a bigger group that we ended up separated by space and a semi. As soon as you get in range they connect again and you are back in business.

gimpygary62
08-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

John,

I started out with the Scalas and ended up puchasing Senas soon after (couldn't hear). Went with Senas because they have the option for Ear buds. Works very well. Easy controls, easy setup and install.

Gary

spyder-dude
08-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Gary,

What version of the scala did you have? I had the Q2 for a couple years and then bought the G4 about 2 1/2 years ago. I just broke the B button on my G4 so now looking at either buying the G9 or the Sena. Any comments from anyone else on this also???

Thanks,

Shawn

HollyH
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
We have Scala..( the newest ones), and love them, but we did not try the others..

Adirondack Mik
08-18-2012, 06:38 PM
The wife and I are new to bike to bike communication. In fact, we know nothing about it. Presently, (soon to change) I have a HD, wife has a Spyder RT. What equipment is required for bike to bike communication?

Dustybell
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
My hubby also rides a HD and I'm the spyder rider. :D

There are several nice communication systems out there. We have the Sena SMH10 set and love them. Easy to use, bluetooth to our phones and music. This set mounts to your helmet, charge it set up the bluetooth and you are ready to go.

Here is the link for the sena:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/

Pincushion
08-19-2012, 02:28 AM
I have the Scala G4 ...LOVE it.

I used it with a fellow ryder from San Diego to Durango ..it worked flawlessly.
My friend bought his from another friend that also had issues with button combo and volume. We reset all the settings.... Voice activation, Auto gain, spoken menus...etc ect..Worked like a champ..

I connected mine with my wife AND another ryde on the way to Spyders in the Redwoods and the three of us talked the whole way... It was great.

I did have an issue when I first installed it with low volume..but it was because I had the speakers in the wrong spot, they need to to be right against your ears...Imagine that!

Would love to get a G9 Powerset, since I LOVE the G4 Powerset.....

shroth
08-19-2012, 05:30 AM

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

It's gonna sound like a broken record but I love my Sena's too! Best value I could find & the volume level never lets me down.

gimpygary62
08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Gary,

What version of the scala did you have? I had the Q2 for a couple years and then bought the G4 about 2 1/2 years ago. I just broke the B button on my G4 so now looking at either buying the G9 or the Sena. Any comments from anyone else on this also???

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,
We had the G2s. Bought them for around $200 but never could get them to pair up and I couldn't hear the radio. Ended up donating them to my sister in law. Maybe the newer versions are better but I'm happy with the Senas.

Gary

Dochands
08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
And the Senas are often updated with new features.

Littlebadwolf
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Sena now has a flat boom mic that's much better for full faced helmets and I found a terrific set of buds that won't keep falling out of your ears and have tremendous sound...best set of plugs I've found thus far..

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=shure%20se215&utm_campaign=SC%20-%20Shure%20US%20-%20LVG&gclid=CMHq1JTv7rECFSdgMgod5jAAhw

mooneych
08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Gary,

Thanks,

Shawn

I love my G4's with the earbud modification. I get the quietness of an earplug and low volume of GPS, radio, intercom and phone calls. If you broke your G4, see if you can get an extensive test with the Sena before making a choice.

Enjoy!

bcoulter19
08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
I have G4's and am wondering what earbud mod. I would lie mto do this I like moine like they are but it would be nicer with ear buds instead of speakers.

Spyder Monkey
08-21-2012, 04:12 PM
The wife and I are new to bike to bike communication. In fact, we know nothing about it. Presently, (soon to change) I have a HD, wife has a Spyder RT. What equipment is required for bike to bike communication?

I bought the dual pack of SMH10's from Amazon and it was all I needed for my trip with my son. It had all the necessary wires and such for a full face helmet. Pretty easy to set up, they came "paired" from the factory so it was literally install all the wires, charge them, turn them on, then press the big button on the side to talk. Worked very well.