PDA

View Full Version : Elka shock settings

bmwlarry
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I installed the shocks today and went for a ride. She runs like it is on rails. When I turn the adjuster all the way in and back it out, it is at 31 clicks. I'm curious what others use for a setting and how the adjuster makes a difference when turned either way.

currin20fan
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Might I suggust a call to Cowtown. I purchased mine from them and they arrived set up to my style of driving.

Macca
08-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I could have sworn Len had started a "Elka Needs Your Help" thread asking for our various settings but I no longer see the thread.

bmwlarry
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
So here is an update. I have reviewed the current build and settings on my shocks with len and I have learned the build is absolutely wrong. I called the folks I ordered from and they verified the order was correct and ask me to contact their rep at Elka. I did and confirmed they were built completely wrong. They are set up for a 250lb rider and a 200lb passenger riding two up all the time aggressively. They were supposed to be for a 150lb rider and 130lb passenger riding two up 20% on the time and riding recreationally! Elka has confirmed the bad build and offered to send me the correct parts and I could rebuild the shocks and reinstall them or send the parts to the dealer, me remove the shocks, send them to the dealer, they rebuild and return to me. I said because of time restraints, I needed to return for full refund as Len could get a set out to me soon!
I am currently waiting for the dealer to return my call regarding return authorization.
ARGH!! :banghead:

Arr MiHardies
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I know I wasn't able to feel any difference in the settings until I loosened the preload several complete turns. Then I began to be able t feel the difference in the settings.

Sarge707
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
So here is an update. I have reviewed the current build and settings on my shocks with len and I have learned the build is absolutely wrong. I called the folks I ordered from and they verified the order was correct and ask me to contact their rep at Elka. I did and confirmed they were built completely wrong. They are set up for a 250lb rider and a 200lb passenger riding two up all the time aggressively. They were supposed to be for a 150lb rider and 130lb passenger riding two up 20% on the time and riding recreationally! Elka has confirmed the bad build and offered to send me the correct parts and I could rebuild the shocks and reinstall them or send the parts to the dealer, me remove the shocks, send them to the dealer, they rebuild and return to me. I said because of time restraints, I needed to return for full refund as Len could get a set out to me soon!
I am currently waiting for the dealer to return my call regarding return authorization.
ARGH!! :banghead:

:agree: Your Absolutely right!!! You shouldn,t have to jump through hoops for their error!:lecturef_smilie:

SpydherLuv
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I think I'm gonna have to give Elka a call after reading this because I don't think my stage 2's are setup properly. After riding to SITR and taking Hwy 1 with all the twists and hairpin turns, my arms and shoulders were killing me the next day (tire pressure was within recommendation). The shocks definitely did not feel as wonderful as everyone says. Not to mention that my RT sits much higher than a friend's RT, who weighs more than me.

Arr MiHardies
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
I think I'm gonna have to give Elka a call after reading this because I don't think my stage 2's are setup properly. After riding to SITR and taking Hwy 1 with all the twists and hairpin turns, my arms and shoulders were killing me the next day (tire pressure was within recommendation). The shocks definitely did not feel as wonderful as everyone says. Not to mention that my RT sits much higher than a friend's RT, who weighs more than me.

It is normal for elka shocks to make the spyder sit higher. IMO, this is a benefit and it helps prevent bottoming out.

Elkas are quite adjustable. might need to adjust your preload or rebound.

bmwlarry
08-17-2012, 10:46 AM
spyderluv

I would give Len in Cowtown a call and go over you settings. He was the one that determined that they were built wrong! Funny that the Elka rep told me that they had the wrong springs and when the dealer that sold them to me called to confirm my situation, they told him "the shocks were set up correctly but they were willing to send out a softer spring if it would make me happy." I really do not like that they told the dealer that the actual situaution was different that it actually was! I would not buy directly from Elka and would do my purchases fron Cowtown because they get the shocks and check the setup before they are sent out to the consumer! My replacements are on thier way from Cowtown. Len rocks!
Larry

ammended!!!!! I wanted to make this correction! What I meant was I would not order from Elka "directly", not Elka Direct! I hope this makes sense! I guess ElkaDirect is actually thru Len and Cowtown!!!! Apologies if this post was confusing and Please buy from Len directly or ElkaDirect!!

pitbull
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
spyderluv

I would give Len in Cowtown a call and go over you settings. He was the one that determined that they were built wrong! Funny that the Elka rep told me that they had the wrong springs and when the dealer that sold them to me called to confirm my situation, they told him "the shocks were set up correctly but they were willing to send out a softer spring if it would make me happy." I really do not like that they told the dealer that the actual situaution was different that it actually was! I would not buy directly from Elka and would do my purchases fron Cowtown because they get the shocks and check the setup before they are sent out to the consumer! My replacements are on thier way from Cowtown. Len rocks!
Larry

Thanks for the kind words Larry, this is why I'm working closely with elks through the new site Spyderelkadirect.com I get everything in writing, that way I can personally help with the proper setup. John trooper is great to work with and one of the reasons we started the site, if you order online through Spyderelkadirect.com I will be fully involved with your setup and do my best to get them right, it's a fun game for me building and setting up your shocks, and you can pm, call or email me if you have any questions! Cowtown carries elka and we do a ton of them, thisnew site helps folks from across the country get them easyer and faster without having to go through a dealership if your doing self installs.

bmwlarry
08-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Please see my amended post above!!!!
Larry

SteveMac
08-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Please see my amended post above!!!!
Larry

LOL. Bottom line is, get in touch with Len and he will get ya fixed up! :roflblack:

bmwlarry
08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
The first set I recieved from another vendor came set up completely wrong with the wrong springs. After checking with Len, I ordered a set from them and will return the others for a refund. They came about 15 minutes ago and it took no longer than 10 minutes to swap them out! Kudos to Len at Cowtown!

As for install:
Soo easy, raise bike a bit, remove lower bolts, raise bike all the way up, remove top bolts, remove shocks, install elkas top bolt first, tighten top bolts ( i couldnt fit torque wrench in the tight area), slowly drop bike while slipping shock lower bolts in place, tighten lower folks and ENJOY YOUR RIDE! There is no need pay any one to install for you. You only need 15mm shallow socket, 15mm combination wrench and a jack!